• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Northern Americana

I'll be there

Comment

A squishy date of May 31 (Tuesday) for me to start on the trip (squishy, being neither a soft nor hard appointment )

I'm feeling a bit better about things - as suggested I looked at a few Boondocking sites last night and am feeling MUCH more comfortable about the trip. Got a few apps on my phone that should help me find campgrounds and stuff too.

I've finally got my proposed route up on the website (www.roknrol.info) for those that would like to take a gander. I've only really mapped it out through Northern Washington so far, so if anyone wants to get together for coffee or something you need to let me know ASAP so I can plan for it. While I'm gone, people can contact me through the website, through email (posted on the website), or through my phone if you have the number. If you would like to meet, please EMAIL me your phone number and general location info (like what city you live in ) so that we can make arrangements. The trip is very "fluid", so there's always the possibility of me juggling things around.

Oh...and for the record - about 4 years ago there had been discussions on this board about road trips and stuff...there were TONS of people telling me that "you have to come and visit if you make a road trip!" Well, I've only got about 5 visits planned outside of family...that's a long, lonely, boring fuckin' ride!

Comment

Alley Springs Mill/state park in Shannon County, MO. Or anywhere in the Mark Twain National Forest area of the Ozarks.
        Highlands, NJ - Twin Lights, Sandy Hook, the 9/11 memorial at Mt. Mitchell.
        sigpic
        Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

If you do the western leg first up into Canada when you go to cross east, you gotta see Glacier Park in Montana, drop down into Yellowstone and the Tetons then cross east to The Big Horns in Wyoming. Just make sure ya bring a coat, even in August it's gonna be kinda chilly for you that high up.

Comment

LGR - I don't think I'll be able to make it through Montana this time around If I can I'll make sure I swing by there - I've heard wonderful things about Yellowstone.

Maybe on the way home? I dunno...we'll have to see what happens.

I've got the first portion of the trip mapped out (and linked at www.roknrol.info) - from Vegas to Thunder Bay - 4500 miles.

Comment

Thunder Bay is great fun....make sure you visit the Grand Portage for me, its sort of like my Mecca.
              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
              sigpic

Comment

Going to be heading south from Thunder Bay to explore the Great Lakes and surrounding areas before hitting New England - I'm building the map now, so if anyone wants me to stop by and say "hi" let me know. It'll be a couple of weeks before I'm in that part of the world (I suspect), so there's time to plan.

Comment

If you're going all the way east, I've never been but I've been told by lots of friends that the Maritimes of Canada are really amazing as well!

Comment

Rok, I will be in NY/NJ June 8 - 13, let me know if you'll be in that vicinity.
                    sigpic

Comment

Not sure when I'll be on the East Coast, but that timeframe looks like I might just be able to catch you there I'll make a note of it and if I'm in the area I can give you a shout

Comment

Originally posted by Roknrol View Post
                        Not sure when I'll be on the East Coast, but that timeframe looks like I might just be able to catch you there I'll make a note of it and if I'm in the area I can give you a shout
                        Cool !!! Have a safe & fun trip.
                        sigpic

Comment

I'm ready to leave, all of my shit is on the bike/in my bag...I'm just waiting on the fucking banner. <taps foot impatiently while he waits for the phone call>

I'll be leaving here (hopefully) soon OMW to LA - if anyone wants to email me - either for recommendations of stuff to see/do or if they want me to swing through their town to hang out for a bit let me know! roknrol (at) roknrol.info

Comment

Bon voyage!!

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

You said you're going to LA and then up the coast? I presume this means you will be passing through Portland at some point, yes? Let me know around what time you think you'll be here. What days and how long you'll be in the area. We should hang out and have a beer or something. ^_^
                              �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                              ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                              Sneak Attack
                              Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

I'll be visiting my sister in Astoria this weekend - I expect to be in the vicinity around Thursday or so, and YES, we def need to get together!

I'm struggling with a delay right now, so that may be pushed back by a day. Fucking battery on the bike is having issues.

Comment

Working...
                                X