This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Converting Wiccans back to Catholicism

I think somebody somewhere is sitting on a pointed stick.
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Well.

I'm late as usual. I was a little preoccupied by a Christian v. Atheist rights, which one being supported by law, debate.

This Burning Times reference, to what I've learned over the years, is not all that different. There's claims of 200,000 all the way up to over 9 million witches killed in the name of Christianity. Usually, the claims point out women and girls as [mainly] the victims of The Other Holocaust. Another common thread, found amongst those stories, is that it will happen again. "The Burning Times have returned!"

I put the story up there with the rest of my comics collection. Right along with all the stories from people claiming they're blood kin to Salem witches, burned at the stake. And all the thousands of people claiming to be Cleopatra, in a past life.

The burden isn't on me to prove anyone wrong. The burden isn't on them to prove their claim. The burden is on those that take a stand, one way or the other, to try and convince others of some "revealed" truth, that only the claimant could know.

The Catholic Church is far from innocent, in it's history. But it is also far from being the cunning, serial killing monster that so many NEOpagans make it out to be.

And I use "NEOpagan", advisedly. The new age movement folks are the only ones that feel obligated to do something about slights from centuries ago, if they in fact really did happen. It's playing the victim. With Catholicism the criminal. Or Christianity. Or Islam. Whatever the flavor de jour.

That's my take on it.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

I've looked again at my original post... I think the point I was trying to make was that I found it interesting that the CTS found it necessary to bring out the book in the first place. Perhaps what I should have said was that I was surprised they were worried about the faithful having contact with Wicca; given recent events in the RC church I would have thought they were more worried about the faithful having contact with a good lawyer.

And this was never intended as RC or Christian bashing... it was just a reflection on something that I thought was a bit pointless in this day and age. As for my comments about the Catholic Truth Society... well, I stand by that. If you are going to claim to tell the truth, you had better be squeaky clean. Which I don't think anyone - or very few - can be.

As for the the Druidic Fibbers etc., that was just a bit of light relief in my old age. With regard to the Burning Times, I find a large pinch of salt usually does the trick!
        www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

It *is* ironic, isn't it?

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

To answer part of what MaskedOne asked here's a web page listing some witch persecutions.
            http://www.paganlibrary.com/witch_hu...rn_ancient.php
            Last edited by Taiga Pagan; 04 Jun 2011, 05:10.

Comment

That's a very interesting link, Taiga, thanks for posting it. I particularly liked the fact that it was dealing with various types of persecution through the ages and showing the similarities between them.
              www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Working...
              X