This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Converting Wiccans back to Catholicism

This isn't really news, but I thought it was interesting that the Catholic Truth Society (don't you just love the title? What do they think the rest of us are? The Pagan Liars? The Druidic Fibbers? The Heathen Tall Story Society? ) has found it necessary to bring out the following book (and there are two others listed on the page too)

www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Re: Converting Wiccans back to Catholicism

Heh, entertaining.

The name thing is more that they think the rest of us are misguided and need to be shown the proper path, least that's what I expect. The Church has official policies and then it has viewpoints that spring up separate of the Vatican that may or may not be left alone depending on how much the position aggravates the Church. This can lead to a bit of variance in how different Catholic groups respond to similar stimuli. I don't know this group well enough to comment with absolute certainty.

Either way, long as the book actually did its research and it advocates a civil approach, I won't complain much.
    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

To marginalised and spiritually hungry generations the growing spiritual phenomena of Wicca and witchcraft have proved attractive, with much to offer: power, supernatural abilities and socially acceptable agendas such as eco-activism and feminism
      Hmmm... paganism offers power, special abilities, and promotes things like ecological action and feminism?

And that's bad?

So... what do the Catholics have to offer? Should I be looking to them for much needed ineffectual actions, rejection of the natural abilities inherent in human beings, the rejection of ecological concerns, and of feminism?

I don't get it... what is the horrible danger the author is going to reveal? Maybe it's Satan who really wants to make the world a better place, and not Jesus after all...

Man, wouldn't it be a pisser if that turned out to be true?

(can you taste the sarcasm? Don't mind me, I'm just upset because I really, really want to be a Druid Fibber, but I'm afraid to get involved in the never ending "what a Druid really is" debate).

P.S. - the best way to bring witches and wiccans to Christ and his church is to offer free food (preferably vegetarian) and beer. And later on in the evening, don't disturb the couples hanging out in the confessionals.
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
        P.S. - the best way to bring witches and wiccans to Christ and his church is to offer free food (preferably vegetarian) and beer. And later on in the evening, don't disturb the couples hanging out in the confessionals.
        ROFLMAO thats awesome!!!
        "Close your eyes, take 20 paces farther than you thought nessesary and just when you think you've lost your way completely.. you'll be there. open your eyes" Alice Hoffman

Comment

As far as I'm concerned (on even-numbered days) "Satan" is nothing but an alias used by Yahweh.

On even-numbered days, I figure they're twin brothers.
          Last edited by Ananta Androscoggin; 04 Jun 2011, 18:38.
          HEY ADMIN

DELETE THIS ACCOUNT

Comment

If they start another Malleus Maleficarum and uses it on people, I swear I'll arm myself to the theets and bring it to them, cuz ignoriance of the historical facts is unacceptable and should be punished by the fire they used our ancestors (legally of course if possible).
            Let it be known! (ROARING LOUDLY!)

In any court of justice ignorance is not an excuse... so why would they be the exception again?... oh yeah! They are the justice system!
            Those people may have to be accuse of Inciting murder, Applying justice outside of a court, stuff like that... even maybe the Crime of hate.

Comment

Taiga do you evidence that these people have recently become bloodthirsty FUCKING IDIOTS or are you merely jumping on a chance to discuss evil Christian conspiracies.

Fuck people. They happen to think Pagans are misguided. Guess what, everyone on this forum who cannot honestly put Roman Catholic in their religion tab thinks the same damn thing about them. The only difference is most of us consider their errors to be rather harmless as long as they stay to themselves and they think our errors could cause us lasting misery so they have a moral obligation to try and persuade (note Taiga, I said persuade not coerce) us of their viewpoint and we have no corresponding obligation. Now if the book that we've seen a grand total of the F***-ing summary for actually includes grandiose conspiracies to brainwash young pagans or outright lies (that can be proven as such, accept that tenets of faith will clash) then yes bash the book and the writers. Till someone actually provides evidence of such evils by quoting text from the book, could we perhaps lay off on the evil Christian vibe. It ceases to be entertaining around the age of 15.
              life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Comment

1 million women died because of knowledge of the natural world (herbology, science) or the belief of the feminine side of the Divine, by the Inquisition and Witch Trials. It was a Holocaust. I dare do not wish such an event to happen again, let be warranted by Christian extremists again!

Comment

Back up the numbers with sources that I can independently confirm. Provide me a time frame for these million executions and finally (and most importantly) explain how the hell it has any bearing on this book. You'll note the book's stated purpose is educating Catholics on Witchcraft for the purpose of persuading not identifying so that assassins may be summoned.

Comment

Look at the documentary: Burning Times

http://www.paganforum.com/showthread...ll=1#post39637

Also the site:
                    http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/va..._vatican29.htm

for starts... can find more to satisfy your question Masked One!
                    Last edited by Taiga Pagan; 02 Jun 2011, 20:29.

Comment

Sources, cool with a bit of luck, I can get through documentary tomorrow on an actual computer. I'm still waiting to see application of the Inquisition's history to modern times (i.e. this century when the Catholic Church's actual legislative power outside Vatican City is distinctlt limited).

Comment

Pagans killed Christians. Christians killed Pagan. Muslims killed both. And Satanists are partying looting your shit.
                        The end.
                        Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I think it's important to remember that that Inquisition persecuted many different groups, including Protestants and Muslims. It still exists (the present Pope was its head at one time.) However the idea that the Inquisition was persecuting women for knowing about herbs etc., just isn't backed up by the facts. Yes, women were executed. So were men. Some of those women may have considered themselves witches, but most simply confessed to anything under torture. The questions were put to them... they rarely if ever confessed spontaneously. In fact, the first trials during the middle ages for sorcery and occult practices were actually of Christian clergy! The other important point is that witch trials continued even under a Protestant (i.e. not Catholic) regime.

And of course, it wasn't only Christians who punished occult practices. The Romans had a slew of laws dealing with it, and the first Emperor, Augustus had occasional purges, particularly against fortune tellers. Christians didn't invent persecution.

I blogged about the 'Burning Times' (rather light heartedly) some years ago here:

In fact, some of the information in the Malleus Malleficarum pre-dates Christianity by a long way. (Think of Hesiod's Theogeny - c.7th - 8th century BC yet the sentiments in part could have come straight out of the Middle Ages.) In particular look at the section in the MM where it deals with women stealing men's willies.

Comment

Yes you refer to the Theodician Edicts, in which the Roman emperor was trying to rid Rome of Sects... which included ironically Christianity.

Comment

Originally posted by Taiga Pagan View Post
                              Yes you refer to the Theodician Edicts, in which the Roman emperor was trying to rid Rome of Sects... which included ironically Christianity.
                              Um.... no. The Theodosian edict was passed in about 380 to deal with the Arian heresy if I remember rightly. Augustus, being the first Roman Emperor was around four centuries earlier.

Comment

Working...
                              X