Results 1,461 to 1,470 of 1512

Thread: Whats everyone reading now or read lately

Oct 2013
    Religion
    Egyptian Wiccan
    Phrase
    Daughter of Lord Anubis and Lady Bast.

Re: Whats everyone reading now or read lately

I'm reading the sequel to Dorothy Must Die, which is called The Wicked Shall Rise. It too is a great book. I've read three of the four part series, I'm just reading the ones I have read again because it's been a long while.
    Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

The Diary of an Egyptian Witch | Reading is Love | I Love My Books

Oct 2013
    Religion
    Egyptian Wiccan
    Phrase

I'm finally at the last book of the Dorothy Must Die series. It's called The End of Oz. I had to read through the first three books because I could not remember the entire story. So far I love the last book and can't wait to finish it.
    Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Aug 2018
    Religion
    Pagan/ witch

I just bought "The Complete World of Greek Mythology" by Richard Buxton. I love mythology! I'm curious about this book. I have to wait a week before it's delivered.
    Last edited by Eleanor; 11 Aug 2018 at 01:09.

Oct 2013
    Religion
    Egyptian Wiccan
    Phrase

Quote Originally Posted by Eleanor View Post
    I just bought "The Complete World of Greek Mythology" by Richard Buxton. I love mythology! I'm curious about this book. I have to wait a week before it's delivered.
    I love mythology too. I like reading about Greek and Egypt mythology a lot. Hope you enjoy it!
    Anubisa

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

One of my favorites is bullfinches mythology and free from Project Gutenberg.

here.

as a PDF.

- - - Updated - - -

I own a hard copy with dog eared pages.

- - - Updated - - -

paperback like this.

I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.
    Mark Twain

Somewhat like Hunter S. Thompson who was called a gonzo Journalist,I consider myself to be something of a gonzo Pagan.

The wizard be in: But be warned if you poke him to much,the standard wand of anal probing +10 may be utilized.

It is interesting that humans seem to believe that they are the crown of creation,until nature drops a house on them....Just saying....

I have decided that I no longer want to be an adult... If anyone needs me, I'll be in my blanket fort, coloring.

Trust lost,is trust never regained.

http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=186&dateline=1330020104

Oh! I hadn't thought about that on Project Gutenberg. Next download i think.

I just finished the His Dark Materials Trilogy. I finally stuck through the first few chapters because people kept saying that it changed them, that it became their basis for thinking about theology. I plowed through the whole trilogy really quickly; I think my brain will be processing for a while. It was definitely worth reading. I thought I saw the Golden Compass movie a few years ago, but all I remember is the armored bears. I also thought that the hero was a boy, which is not the case of the book, although a boy becomes a main character later in the series. I'm not sure how much of this is my poor memory, or whether the filmmakers were more excited about armored bears than the rest of the story. Maybe I fell asleep.

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Finding sanctity.
    Phrase
    Mistress of the Ban

Quote Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
    Oh! I hadn't thought about that on Project Gutenberg. Next download i think.

I just finished the His Dark Materials Trilogy. I finally stuck through the first few chapters because people kept saying that it changed them, that it became their basis for thinking about theology. I plowed through the whole trilogy really quickly; I think my brain will be processing for a while. It was definitely worth reading. I thought I saw the Golden Compass movie a few years ago, but all I remember is the armored bears. I also thought that the hero was a boy, which is not the case of the book, although a boy becomes a main character later in the series. I'm not sure how much of this is my poor memory, or whether the filmmakers were more excited about armored bears than the rest of the story. Maybe I fell asleep.
    I only managed to make it through the first book (which I loved). I don't recall the reason anymore, but my interest quickly dropped in book two and I never finished the series.

I've been reading lots lately. Currently on two books: Regretting Motherhood, A Study, and the seventh book in the expanse series by James S.A Corey.
    We are all these things [...]. Pride, desire, compassion, cleverness, belligerence, fruitfulness, loyalty...and guilt. But above it all stands love. And if we desire to be more than human, that is the star by which we must set our sights.

Questions of science, science and progress, do not speak as loud as my heart.

Hot Pickle!

You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.

“Leaving is not enough. You must stay gone. Train your heart like a dog. Change the locks even on the house he’s never visited. You lucky, lucky girl. You have an apartment just your size. A bathtub full of tea. A heart the size of Arizona, but not nearly so arid. Don’t wish away your cracked past, your crooked toes, your problems are papier mache puppets you made or bought because the vendor at the market was so compelling you just had to have them. You had to have him. And you did. And now you pull down the bridge between your houses, you make him call before he visits, you take a lover for granted, you take a lover who looks at you like maybe you are magic. Make the first bottle you consume in this place a relic. Place it on whatever altar you fashion with a knife and five cranberries. Don’t lose too much weight. Stupid girls are always trying to disappear as revenge. And you are not stupid. You loved a man with more hands than a parade of beggars, and here you stand. Heart like a four-poster bed. Heart like a canvas. Heart leaking something so strong they can smell it in the street.”

Frida Kahlo to Marty McConnell

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Armored bears is, IMO, the only thing to recommend about those books. I didn't find them that interesting or compelling, much less life changing. And I really wanted to like them...

I was though, at least, able to finish them. GoT didn't even get that.

I'm "reading" (via Audible) with my daughter, the InCryptid series by Seanan McGuire, in preparation for the last book in the series....nothing deep or insightful, just entertaining urban fantasy fluff.

This book series has intelligent mice that are devout and religiously observant of whatever they choose to worship. They are adorable. Also, fierce...plus they speak In Capital Letters, which I love.

The scientific name of the Aeslin mouse (Apodemus sapiens) means, literally, "the thinking mouse." They are considered part of the family Muridae, although they regard other members of the family as beasts of burden, predators, or sources of food, depending on their relative sizes and behaviors. A colony of Aeslin mice descending upon a rat is a fearsome sight indeed.
    Extensive study has been performed upon the Aeslin mouse, courtesy of the colony which came to America with Alexander and Enid Healy. Enid inherited the custodianship of the colony from her own mother, Caroline Davies, who claimed to have found them "out back of the barn," engaged in ritual adoration of a chicken.
    No Aeslin mice have ever been observed in the wild. Whether this is because they now exist only within human domiciles, or because they have become extinct apart from the family colony, is currently unknown.
    Biologically, the Aeslin mouse is near-identical to a common field mouse. Dissection of already-deceased subjects has revealed an enlarged cerebral cortex, indicative of their human-level of intelligence, and their forepaws are sophisticated enough to be considered true hands.
    The birth rate of Aeslin mice is dramatically lower than that of their wild cousins. The average female will have one baby every two years, resulting in no more than three to four offspring over the course of her life. Aeslin mice take between three and five years to mature, and can live well into their late thirties. It is surmised that they would have far shorter lifespans in the wild.
    The Aeslin mouse can be distinguished from the common field mouse by its more developed forepaws, and by its tendency to dress in clothing and jewelry fashioned from bones, bits of fabric, and things it has managed to steal from the kitchen junk drawer.
    The Aeslin mouse has a highly sophisticated society, centered around a devout religious class. Each colony of Aeslin mice to have been recorded has worshiped a different god or set of gods. These have included, but were not limited to, a large oak tree, a roll-top desk, and Caroline Davies's chickens. The colony currently living in the Price family attic worships the family. It is generally believed that these religious leanings are intended to keep the colony unified, and to prevent straying from places of safety. Religious schisms occur every three to five generations, with groups of younger mice splitting off and leaving the parent colony to find new gods. To date, none of these child colonies have been heard from again.

OF NOTEAeslin mice never forget anything. Remember that when speaking in their presence, and choose your words with the attendant levels of care.

http://seananmcguire.com/fgaeslinmice.php

And, I'm reading (via Kindle), The Fortunes of Africa: A 5000 Year History of Wealth, Greed, and Power. I also have a book I'm reading when I don't have my kindle, but its for work and that is boring.
    Last edited by thalassa; 14 Aug 2018 at 06:52.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

I did like the bears. I also liked the first book best ( The Golden Compass/Northern Lights), but I liked the whole series. I thought the writing was sometimes very good, and there was a slightly different take on many topics that interest me, so that I have a different way to think about them. I don't think it will be the basis of how I view theology, but I can see how it might have influenced me had I read it at a different stage of life.

Urban fantasy has pretty much been my theme this summer, nothing else could hold me for weeks. It was a hard Autumn and Winter at our house, and that was about as deep as I wanted to wade. Fun serves a purpose.

The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

I liked the Dark Materials trilogy, but the first one was, by far, the best - intriguing characters.

I've also read The Expanse series, which was pretty fun - nothing like a well crafted space opera...

I guess I'm also reading "urban fantasy" - Charles Stross's The Laundry series ( British secret police force created during WWII to battles Hitler's use of Lovecraftian entities, still ongoing in the present) very entertaining, fun writing and dramatic stories.

Carter and Lovecraft, After the End of the World by Jonathan Howard - somewhat similar modern Lovecraftiana... Fun books. I don't think there's anything love changing in books for me any more - I just like being entertained in new ways these days.
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

I can't do everything, but I can do something.