This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Whats everyone reading now or read lately

I'm currently reading Essential Hinduism by Steven J. Rosen.

Originally posted by anubisa View Post
    I Am America (And So Can You) by Stephen Colbert. OMG! I love Stephen Colbert. He is just hilarious. This is his first book that he wrote and I am enjoying it so far. I am looking forward to finishing it.
    I've read that book too, being a Colbert fan myself.
    He is truly hilarious!

Comment

A couple books from the Chronicles of Elantra series. I'm convinced that the Dragons are effectively the heroes of the setting even if they do occasionally threaten to barbecue the main character. This is probably because any truly unsympathetic (bar one) dragon is hiding, hibernating or dead.

Also the study manual for the CCNA exams.
      life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I'm bumping this thread.

Today I brought this interesting book at Barnes and Noble. It's called The Art Of Lenormand Reading by Alexandre Musruck. It's a great book to boost my Lenormand reading

Comment

I'm reading Dorothy Must Die. I love the series. It's about the Wizard of Oz, but in a twisted way. Definitely love this.
          Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

That sounds interesting.
            MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
            NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
            don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
            http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I'm reading the sequel to Dorothy Must Die, which is called The Wicked Shall Rise. It too is a great book. I've read three of the four part series, I'm just reading the ones I have read again because it's been a long while.
              Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

I'm finally at the last book of the Dorothy Must Die series. It's called The End of Oz. I had to read through the first three books because I could not remember the entire story. So far I love the last book and can't wait to finish it.
                Anubisa

Comment

I just bought "The Complete World of Greek Mythology" by Richard Buxton. I love mythology! I'm curious about this book. I have to wait a week before it's delivered.
                  Last edited by Eleanor; 11 Aug 2018, 01:09.

Comment

Originally posted by Eleanor View Post
                    I just bought "The Complete World of Greek Mythology" by Richard Buxton. I love mythology! I'm curious about this book. I have to wait a week before it's delivered.
                    I love mythology too. I like reading about Greek and Egypt mythology a lot. Hope you enjoy it!
                    Anubisa

Comment

One of my favorites is bullfinches mythology and free from Project Gutenberg.

here.

as a PDF.

- - - Updated - - -

I own a hard copy with dog eared pages.

- - - Updated - - -

paperback like this.

MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Oh! I hadn't thought about that on Project Gutenberg. Next download i think.

I just finished the His Dark Materials Trilogy. I finally stuck through the first few chapters because people kept saying that it changed them, that it became their basis for thinking about theology. I plowed through the whole trilogy really quickly; I think my brain will be processing for a while. It was definitely worth reading. I thought I saw the Golden Compass movie a few years ago, but all I remember is the armored bears. I also thought that the hero was a boy, which is not the case of the book, although a boy becomes a main character later in the series. I'm not sure how much of this is my poor memory, or whether the filmmakers were more excited about armored bears than the rest of the story. Maybe I fell asleep.

Comment

Originally posted by Prickly Pear View Post
                          Oh! I hadn't thought about that on Project Gutenberg. Next download i think.

I just finished the His Dark Materials Trilogy. I finally stuck through the first few chapters because people kept saying that it changed them, that it became their basis for thinking about theology. I plowed through the whole trilogy really quickly; I think my brain will be processing for a while. It was definitely worth reading. I thought I saw the Golden Compass movie a few years ago, but all I remember is the armored bears. I also thought that the hero was a boy, which is not the case of the book, although a boy becomes a main character later in the series. I'm not sure how much of this is my poor memory, or whether the filmmakers were more excited about armored bears than the rest of the story. Maybe I fell asleep.
                          I only managed to make it through the first book (which I loved). I don't recall the reason anymore, but my interest quickly dropped in book two and I never finished the series.

I've been reading lots lately. Currently on two books: Regretting Motherhood, A Study, and the seventh book in the expanse series by James S.A Corey.

Mostly art.

Comment

Armored bears is, IMO, the only thing to recommend about those books. I didn't find them that interesting or compelling, much less life changing. And I really wanted to like them...

I was though, at least, able to finish them. GoT didn't even get that.

I'm "reading" (via Audible) with my daughter, the InCryptid series by Seanan McGuire, in preparation for the last book in the series....nothing deep or insightful, just entertaining urban fantasy fluff.

This book series has intelligent mice that are devout and religiously observant of whatever they choose to worship. They are adorable. Also, fierce...plus they speak In Capital Letters, which I love.

The scientific name of the Aeslin mouse (Apodemus sapiens) means, literally, "the thinking mouse." They are considered part of the family Muridae, although they regard other members of the family as beasts of burden, predators, or sources of food, depending on their relative sizes and behaviors. A colony of Aeslin mice descending upon a rat is a fearsome sight indeed.
                            Extensive study has been performed upon the Aeslin mouse, courtesy of the colony which came to America with Alexander and Enid Healy. Enid inherited the custodianship of the colony from her own mother, Caroline Davies, who claimed to have found them "out back of the barn," engaged in ritual adoration of a chicken.
                            No Aeslin mice have ever been observed in the wild. Whether this is because they now exist only within human domiciles, or because they have become extinct apart from the family colony, is currently unknown.
                            Biologically, the Aeslin mouse is near-identical to a common field mouse. Dissection of already-deceased subjects has revealed an enlarged cerebral cortex, indicative of their human-level of intelligence, and their forepaws are sophisticated enough to be considered true hands.
                            The birth rate of Aeslin mice is dramatically lower than that of their wild cousins. The average female will have one baby every two years, resulting in no more than three to four offspring over the course of her life. Aeslin mice take between three and five years to mature, and can live well into their late thirties. It is surmised that they would have far shorter lifespans in the wild.
                            The Aeslin mouse can be distinguished from the common field mouse by its more developed forepaws, and by its tendency to dress in clothing and jewelry fashioned from bones, bits of fabric, and things it has managed to steal from the kitchen junk drawer.
                            The Aeslin mouse has a highly sophisticated society, centered around a devout religious class. Each colony of Aeslin mice to have been recorded has worshiped a different god or set of gods. These have included, but were not limited to, a large oak tree, a roll-top desk, and Caroline Davies's chickens. The colony currently living in the Price family attic worships the family. It is generally believed that these religious leanings are intended to keep the colony unified, and to prevent straying from places of safety. Religious schisms occur every three to five generations, with groups of younger mice splitting off and leaving the parent colony to find new gods. To date, none of these child colonies have been heard from again.

OF NOTEAeslin mice never forget anything. Remember that when speaking in their presence, and choose your words with the attendant levels of care.

And, I'm reading (via Kindle), The Fortunes of Africa: A 5000 Year History of Wealth, Greed, and Power. I also have a book I'm reading when I don't have my kindle, but its for work and that is boring.
                            Last edited by thalassa; 14 Aug 2018, 06:52.
                            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                            sigpic

Comment

I did like the bears. I also liked the first book best ( The Golden Compass/Northern Lights), but I liked the whole series. I thought the writing was sometimes very good, and there was a slightly different take on many topics that interest me, so that I have a different way to think about them. I don't think it will be the basis of how I view theology, but I can see how it might have influenced me had I read it at a different stage of life.

Urban fantasy has pretty much been my theme this summer, nothing else could hold me for weeks. It was a hard Autumn and Winter at our house, and that was about as deep as I wanted to wade. Fun serves a purpose.

Comment

I liked the Dark Materials trilogy, but the first one was, by far, the best - intriguing characters.

I've also read The Expanse series, which was pretty fun - nothing like a well crafted space opera...

I guess I'm also reading "urban fantasy" - Charles Stross's The Laundry series ( British secret police force created during WWII to battles Hitler's use of Lovecraftian entities, still ongoing in the present) very entertaining, fun writing and dramatic stories.

Carter and Lovecraft, After the End of the World by Jonathan Howard - somewhat similar modern Lovecraftiana... Fun books. I don't think there's anything love changing in books for me any more - I just like being entertained in new ways these days.
                                Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Working...
                                X