This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats everyone reading now or read lately

As for me haven't been doing that much reading lately. Found that I hardly read any more as well. Have to say do have times like this and others don't. Guess it depends on the book itself as well.

To the End of the Land, David Grossman and Jessica Cohen (Translator)

A Midwife's Tale : The Life of Martha Ballard, Based on Her Diary, 1785-1812, Laurel Thatcher Ulrich. Already viewed the dvd part of it and it was worth the watch. Now, I can't wait the book to learn even more about Ms Ballard.Finished reading these few books almost half a mo to 2 mo back now.

The Lost Girls: Three Friends. Four Continents.: One Unconventional Detour Around the World, Jennifer Baggett, Holly C. Corbett, Amanda Pressner.It was worth the read. Especially, returning the hardcover because found it was little worn. Had to wait until the paperback was released to read it.

Mountain of Crumbs: A Memoir, Elena Gorokhova a week ago. It was worth read. Especially, since found I learned more about the former Soviet Union then what I already knew about before reading your memoir. Can't wait to read more of Ms Gorokhova's life and/or her mothers life now.

A Father's Love: One Man's Unrelenting Battle to Bring His Abducted Son Home, David Goldman. WOW what a memoir this was and thank you, Mr. Goldman for writing about your ordeal to get Sean back home.

Re: Whats everyone reading now or read lately

I dont read a ton anymore cuz I have so much going on in my house.
    But last month I finished a book called The Goddess is in the Details by Deborah Blake.

It was a really good book about putting magick into your everyday life and being an everyday witch. It was funny and well written without being overly snooty sounding,etc. I really enjoyed it.
    sigpic
    My Blog...http://scribsquabs.blogspot.com/

Comment

I'm smack-dab in the middle of the Wheel of Time for the first time. Just getting ready to start book 5.
      Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Waiting for the new Dresden book next month and a new Forgotten Realms book in August. Otherwise, skimming through Blackstaff and hunting for a report that may not exist in English.
        "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
        ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I'm reading a book on sex issues during the Civil War called "The Story The Soldiers Wouldn't Tell"

...its pretty interesting, but there is a bit of scandal with the author in terms of some unethical and nearly illegal (statute of limitations ran out) changing of a significant historical document...but at the same time, it is a cited major work on something that there are very few studies done on...

One of the most interesting parts is actually the discussion of abortion and birth control methods of the time (period reports estimate 1 in 5 pregnancies were aborted)...and the rampant venereal disease epidemic among soldiers.
          “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
          ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
          ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

I'm reading "The Company She Keeps" its true-life/crime novel about a super model turned mob wife

Comment

I'm reading Greek Religion by Walter Burkert
              http://thefeministpagan.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by DeseretRose View Post
                I'm smack-dab in the middle of the Wheel of Time for the first time. Just getting ready to start book 5.
                When the story starts getting REALLY SLOW (book 8-10ish, roughly), keep reading. It picks up the pace in the 11th book and just keep growing through book 13 and is so worth it!

Right now I'm reading The Way of Shadows by Brent Weeks. A friend of mine from work--who I have a total crush on--lent me the book, saying I'll probably like it. I love it, so far!

And aside from that, I'm reading The High King of Montival by S.M. Stirling (anyone who wants to read post-apocalyptic scifi/fantasy revolving around Wiccan, Catholic, and Norse Heathen characters (as well as Buddhists, Asatruists (sp??), and a religion based around Lord of the Rings as well as other religions and a few cults), read Stirling's Emberverse series!!)

Comment

Just started "The Land Of The Painted Caves" by Jean M. Auel, all 700+ pages of it! I've really enjoyed the whole series, so I'm really looking forward to this.
                  sigpic
                  Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

I'm reading A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller, Jr.
                    my etsy store
                    My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
                    surrounded by plush, downy things,
                    ill prepared, but willing,
                    to descend."

Comment

The Book of Nature: Natural History in the United States 1825-1875 by Margaret Welch
                      “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
                      ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
                      ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                      sigpic

Comment

I'm reading the last(?) Diana Gabaldon book "An Echo In The Bone" and Malachy McCourt's "History Of Ireland".
                        Gargoyles watch over me...I can hear them snicker in the dark.

Pull the operating handle (which protrudes from the right side of the receiver) smartly to the rear and release it.

Comment

human all too human by Friedrich Neitzsche
                          “They moaned and squealed, and pressed their snouts to the earth. We are sorry, we are sorry.
                          Sorry you were caught, I said. Sorry that you thought I was weak, but you were wrong.”
                          -Madeline Miller, Circe

Comment

Marauders of Gor by John Norman
                            It's a really, really cool thing, to be able to show people that you can be yourself, and you should be proud of yourself, and you should own who you are and what you're about, and never make apologies for it.
                            -Adam Lambert

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Comment

I'm reading Goodkind's Sword of Truth series. I just finished the 4th book, Temple of the Winds, and my husband promises they get better beyond this one, but I've enjoyed these so far. I didn't like them when I started, but that's because I'm not usually into fantasy - I only picked them up because they're one of hubby's favorite series.

Comment

Working...
                              X