X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Whats everyone reading now or read lately

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
    What do you think of it? I'm only a few chapters in, but so far I find his attempts at being funny to be obnoxious. Normally, I like Stephen Fry, but I find it slightly off-putting for the Greek myths.

I'll keep reading, but I'm finding it a little less immersive and a little lighter than I was hoping for.
    I'm not that far into it myself. I quite like it, but I think it might be the effect of him reading it. I suspect I might have been quite annoyed with It if I was reading it on the page as well, it could come off as a bit pretentious, but his delivery of the narration suits it.

But I'm definitely not as in love with it as I was with Gaiman
    Last edited by iris; 26 Jan 2018, 13:45.
    You remind me of the babe
    What babe?
    The babe with the power
    What power?
    The Power of voodoo
    Who do?
    You do!
    Do what?
    Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

Fire & Fury.
      sigpic
      Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Ancient Greece by Robert Garland. It's a great overview of how the Ancient greeks lived, and while it can get a bit dry, he does a good job of keeping the information organized and easy to understand.
        “I am Cat and I walk alone and all ways are the same to me.” ~Rudyard Kipling, The Cat Who Walks By Himself

Comment

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll. A friend and O are doing a 12 months, 12 books challenge, and February's challenge was to read a book recommended by a friend. She suggested Alice tome, and I suggested Good Omens, by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett for her.

I'm also on-off reading A Legacy of Magick by Ellen Dugan, when I get a spare moment.
          She is like a cat in the dark and then she is the darkness. ~~(=^._.^)

I got my war paint on and I'm off to go passive-aggressive all over these socially awkward man-witches.

Comment

Originally posted by faye_cat View Post
            Ancient Greece by Robert Garland. It's a great overview of how the Ancient greeks lived, and while it can get a bit dry, he does a good job of keeping the information organized and easy to understand.
            Ooh! I should check this one out.

I'm still working on Mythos, but I just bought Ready Player One by Ernest Cline, so that's next on the docket. I just can't decide if I'm bringing real books to Mexico, or my kindle!
            Last edited by volcaniclastic; 06 Feb 2018, 07:45.
            “The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.” – John Muir

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
              Ooh! I should check this one out.

I'm still working on Mythos, but I just bought Ready Player One by Ernest Cline, so that's next on the docket. I just can't decide if I'm bringing real books to Mexico, or my kindle!
              In my opinion I'd bring one actual book with your kindle, so that if you only have a moment or it's low batteries, you'd still have a chance to read. Also, Garland has other books like Egypt, Viking, etc that I'm gonna have to check out.

I just found a copy of Pagan Spiritualityby Joyce and River Higginbotham on my bookshelf so I suppose I'll start that too.
              “I am Cat and I walk alone and all ways are the same to me.” ~Rudyard Kipling, The Cat Who Walks By Himself

Comment

The Expanse series. On number 7, the last one.

Big space opera.
                Last edited by B. de Corbin; 06 Feb 2018, 12:43.
                Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Dan Brown's "The Origin". Very good - his usual formula.
                  sigpic
                  Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

I just started Through the Looking Glass. A friend and I are doing a 12 books in 12 months challenge and February's theme is reading a book suggested by a friend, and I never did read the Alice books as a kid. So I'm doing them now.

I got my war paint on and I'm off to go passive-aggressive all over these socially awkward man-witches.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                      The Expanse series. On number 7, the last one.

Big space opera.
                      This has been on my radar forever. Thanks for reminding me to find a kindle version of it.

I'm finished Mythos, also finished Ready Player One (which is SO GOOD btw - I blew through it in two days flying home from Mexico) and now I'm onto "Ask a Queer Chick: a guide for sex, love, and life for girls who dig girls". I needed something in the airport, and it's pretty funny and light.

In audiobooks, I just finished Bram Stoker's Dracula - Medusa, if you haven't listened to it yet, you should! It was a great performance (and I know how you like them vampire and zombie books )
                      “The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.” – John Muir

Mostly art.

Comment

I Am America (And So Can You) by Stephen Colbert. OMG! I love Stephen Colbert. He is just hilarious. This is his first book that he wrote and I am enjoying it so far. I am looking forward to finishing it.
                        Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

I also like Colbert.
                          MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                          NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                          don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                          http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Me three. Haven't read his books, but I've been a fan of his for a long time.
                            “Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.”
                            ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                            Sneak Attack
                            Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

just finished reading Gods and Heroes of the Ancient World: Artemis by Stephanie Lynn Budin (2015). A bit expensive as a book but a pretty descent read and she offered some differing perspectives and opinions on the Goddess. Liked how she included the referenced source material both in historical order and within the pages where she was discussing the particular material.
                              I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

I'm finally reading Treasure Island, as per my reading challenge for the year.

Comment

Working...
                                X