Results 1,431 to 1,440 of 1457

Thread: Whats everyone reading now or read lately

Oct 2013
    Religion
    Egyptian Wiccan
    Phrase
    Daughter of Lord Anubis and Lady Bast.

Re: Whats everyone reading now or read lately

I finished 20000 Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne. Such a great book. It was hard to put it down, but since I am working I need my sleep.
    Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

The Diary of an Egyptian Witch | Reading is Love | Serenity Writes

Nov 2014
    Religion
    Eclectic with some strong norse tendensies

Well. Not reading as much as listening to really. I just got "Mythos" by Stephen fry, as an audiobook narrated by himself. A retelling of the Greek myths, with commentary. I'm a few chapters in. Liking it so far. It's clever and funny.
    You remind me of the babe
    What babe?
    The babe with the power
    What power?
    The Power of voodoo
    Who do?
    You do!
    Do what?
    Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Finding sanctity.
    Phrase
    Mistress of the Ban

Quote Originally Posted by iris View Post
    Well. Not reading as much as listening to really. I just got "Mythos" by Stephen fry, as an audiobook narrated by himself. A retelling of the Greek myths, with commentary. I'm a few chapters in. Liking it so far. It's clever and funny.
    Hey, I bought this when I was in Ireland two months ago! I haven't read it yet - but it's on my next to read list.

Just finished: Call Me by Your Name - Andre Aciman
    Listening to: The Complete Collection of Sherlock Holmes, narrated by Stephen Fry
    Reading now: How To Be Human - Paula Cocozza

Up next: ...probably Mythos, lol.
    We are all these things [...]. Pride, desire, compassion, cleverness, belligerence, fruitfulness, loyalty...and guilt. But above it all stands love. And if we desire to be more than human, that is the star by which we must set our sights.

Questions of science, science and progress, do not speak as loud as my heart.

Hot Pickle!

You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.

“Leaving is not enough. You must stay gone. Train your heart like a dog. Change the locks even on the house he’s never visited. You lucky, lucky girl. You have an apartment just your size. A bathtub full of tea. A heart the size of Arizona, but not nearly so arid. Don’t wish away your cracked past, your crooked toes, your problems are papier mache puppets you made or bought because the vendor at the market was so compelling you just had to have them. You had to have him. And you did. And now you pull down the bridge between your houses, you make him call before he visits, you take a lover for granted, you take a lover who looks at you like maybe you are magic. Make the first bottle you consume in this place a relic. Place it on whatever altar you fashion with a knife and five cranberries. Don’t lose too much weight. Stupid girls are always trying to disappear as revenge. And you are not stupid. You loved a man with more hands than a parade of beggars, and here you stand. Heart like a four-poster bed. Heart like a canvas. Heart leaking something so strong they can smell it in the street.”

Frida Kahlo to Marty McConnell

Oct 2013
    Religion
    Egyptian Wiccan
    Phrase
    Daughter of Lord Anubis and Lady Bast.

I'm reading Battlefield Earth by L. Ron Hubbard. So far I really like it. It's very interesting.
    Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

The Diary of an Egyptian Witch | Reading is Love | Serenity Writes

The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

Quote Originally Posted by anubisa View Post
    I'm reading Battlefield Earth by L. Ron Hubbard. So far I really like it. It's very interesting.
    Ooh ohh...

Don't become a Scientologist!
    I am the sword,
    The wound,
    The stain,
    The scorned transfigured child
    Of Cain

Amendment 25, Section 1
    In case of the removal of the President from office or of his death or resignation... (Let's all think happy thoughts)

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Finding sanctity.
    Phrase
    Mistress of the Ban

I'm reading Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman. Best impulse buy I've made recently.
    We are all these things [...]. Pride, desire, compassion, cleverness, belligerence, fruitfulness, loyalty...and guilt. But above it all stands love. And if we desire to be more than human, that is the star by which we must set our sights.

Hot Pickle!

“Leaving is not enough. You must stay gone. Train your heart like a dog. Change the locks even on the house he’s never visited. You lucky, lucky girl. You have an apartment just your size. A bathtub full of tea. A heart the size of Arizona, but not nearly so arid. Don’t wish away your cracked past, your crooked toes, your problems are papier mache puppets you made or bought because the vendor at the market was so compelling you just had to have them. You had to have him. And you did. And now you pull down the bridge between your houses, you make him call before he visits, you take a lover for granted, you take a lover who looks at you like maybe you are magic. Make the first bottle you consume in this place a relic. Place it on whatever altar you fashion with a knife and five cranberries. Don’t lose too much weight. Stupid girls are always trying to disappear as revenge. And you are not stupid. You loved a man with more hands than a parade of beggars, and here you stand. Heart like a four-poster bed. Heart like a canvas. Heart leaking something so strong they can smell it in the street.”

Nov 2014
    Religion

Quote Originally Posted by volcaniclastic View Post
    I'm reading Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman. Best impulse buy I've made recently.
    Oh I loved it!
    What babe?
    The babe with the power
    What power?
    The Power of voodoo
    Who do?
    You do!
    Do what?
    Remind me of the babe!

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Finding sanctity.
    Phrase
    Mistress of the Ban

Oh I loved it!
    Well, that's done now. I've just been gobbling up books lately. I've finished five this month.

Now onto Mythos by Stephen Fry!

Hot Pickle!

Nov 2014
    Religion

Quote Originally Posted by volcaniclastic View Post
    Well, that's done now. I've just been gobbling up books lately. I've finished five this month.

Now onto Mythos by Stephen Fry!
    Great minds think alike that's the one I'm on now. Although I've done a rare thing a bought the audio book, he narrates it himself. I usually prefer reading myself, but I like listening to him.
    What babe?
    The babe with the power
    What power?
    The Power of voodoo
    Who do?
    You do!
    Do what?
    Remind me of the babe!

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Finding sanctity.
    Phrase
    Mistress of the Ban

Great minds think alike that's the one I'm on now. Although I've done a rare thing a bought the audio book, he narrates it himself. I usually prefer reading myself, but I like listening to him.
    What do you think of it? I'm only a few chapters in, but so far I find his attempts at being funny to be obnoxious. Normally, I like Stephen Fry, but I find it slightly off-putting for the Greek myths.

I'll keep reading, but I'm finding it a little less immersive and a little lighter than I was hoping for.

Hot Pickle!