This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Whats everyone reading now or read lately

I'm listening to Salt of the Sea by Ruta Septys. It's so good.

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
      Yo, has Sapiens been discussed yet?
      So...its a really good book from a people standpoint, but not so good from an academic standpoint. I love it and dislike it also.
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

It read like a really interesting lecture, I ate it up. What's up with it academically? I thought it was written by a history professor. Definitely happy to be corrected
        ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
        Seen the desert and the birds
        You cut your hair short
        Like a shush to an insult
        The world had been yelling
        Since the day you were born
        Revolting with anger
        While it smiled like it was cute
        That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
          It read like a really interesting lecture, I ate it up. What's up with it academically? I thought it was written by a history professor. Definitely happy to be corrected
          The evolution aspect, both cultural and biological in terms of being a reconstructed history of mankind is problematic...its what is called a "just-so" story, and its pretty much bad science, from biology to anthropology. Yes, its based in facts of evolution, but his presentation itself is not the fact he presents it as. AS much as its overall a good book with good ideas, there's problems with parts of it being spurious.

There are a couple of interesting criticisms of the book that have some merit, this is one of them: https://www.thenewatlantis.com/publi...y-of-humankind, and this is another: https://www.newenglishreview.org/C_R..._Humankind%27/, and https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...-harari-review.
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

"Devoted", by Dean Koontz. I love it! His writing takes on a whole different depth of passion when one of the characters is a Golden Retriever. I'm halfway through and will voraciously finish it in the morning.
            sigpic
            Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

I'm starting on Egyptian Magic by E.A. Wallis Budge. I've been waiting a long while to read this.
              Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

I'm currently reading Amelia Atwater-Rhodes Shapeshifter series.
                We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

I'm currently reading Fate of the Fallen by Kel Kade. And I'm going to regret it because she isn't even half way thru the 2nd book but its so good.
                  "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

Just finished listening to the first Altered Carbon book and started on the 2nd one.
                    �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                    ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                    Sneak Attack
                    Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

New Frontiers of the Mind, by J. B. Rhine, 1937.

About the Duke University ESP experiments.
                      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

You are Magical by Tess Whitehurst

It's been waiting for me to pick it up for a long time. I'm looking forward to read this book.
                        Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

"If It Bleeds", Stephen King's newest collection of 4 stories. I just got it from the library.
                          sigpic
                          Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

If you want to be thought intelligent, just agree with everyone.

Comment

Re-reading bits of text in The Complete Book of Herbs - Lesley Bremness also has good recipes using herbs.

Comment

Assorted Punktown novels - Jeffery Thomas.

These are a fun mix of science fiction noir meets H.P.L. & pals, all while telling a good story.
                                Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Working...
                                X