X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Whats everyone reading now or read lately

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
    You're heading down the dangerous road that leads to logic geekness.

If you want to see whole fistfulls of these techniques in use, watch the Stephen Miller news conference about immigration reform...
    I don't know if I want to be able to lable the smarminess. Isn't it enough to just know that it is smarmy and blegh?
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
      I don't know if I want to be able to lable the smarminess. Isn't it enough to just know that it is smarmy and blegh?
      I dunno. I scratch my head and say "Uhm... OK."

But I also have to teach people how to reason, so that's where the headache gets through my fence of mental health.
      Last edited by B. de Corbin; 08 Aug 2017, 14:38.
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Finished the real cannibals book. Wow. It's apparently quite prevalent in nature.

And now onto something out of my norm. An audiobook called Fever Dream, a novel by Samanta Schweblin. It's actually translated from the original Spanish (Argentina). An odd story done in a vague setting. A woman in a hospital. A child next to her, who isn't her child. And the story of how she got there. Let's give it a go!
        Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

"On Tyranny", by Timothy Snyder.
          sigpic
          Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Back on the zombie train! (omg, what an awesome name for a zombie novel!)

Listening to War of the Undead Day one (The Apocalypse crusade #1). Some cheese of the undead variety.

Comment

"The Breakdown" by B.A. Paris. Love it so far - creepy and good.
              sigpic
              Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Reading the Black Jewels series no my partners. Reading Penzack and Dancing with Dragons for religious material. Been reading adult content for the fun of it. Cherise Sinclair is the bomb.
                We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Listening to Scott Siggler's Earthcore. More importantly it's narrated by Ray Porter! *fan girl swoons

Comment

Ravensbruck by Sarah Helm. It's about the only all-woman concentration camp under Himmler during WWII. Captivating so far.
                    Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

this: https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...the-resistance

...having heard Antifa’s elevator pitch in person, I must acknowledge that their analysis of ingrained injustice gets more than a little bit right.
                      Corporate power ought to be challenged. Racial hierarchies are deep and powerful and must be uprooted. The criminal justice system perpetuates mass incarceration while doing little – or nothing – to address police violence.

States captured by corporate interests routinely run roughshod over democratic, Indigenous and local control of land, water and resources, as witnessed at Standing Rock. Ours has become a land of inequity and injustice aplenty.

But in their flirtation with political violence, Antifa ends up hurting the progressive groups it stands with and claims to protect.
                      They play into the cartoon-image of the left sketched by Fox News and Breitbart. Though violence may not be their dominant tactic, it is inevitably their hallmark. And though the group may not always incite violence, their presence invites it, putting others in danger.

(snip)

Violent tactics, even if they are only deployed sparingly and defensively, undermine the resistance, damning progressive values of freedom, equality and justice by association.
                      ...pretty much sums things up for me, though given the length of the piece, I think there's some missed nuance she glossed over with her over use of imagery.
                      Last edited by thalassa; 01 Sep 2017, 04:37.
                      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                        ...pretty much sums things up for me, though given the length of the piece, I think there's some missed nuance she glossed over with her over use of imagery.
                        Yes - with the exception of self defence, it would be so much easier to have a political revolution if it weren't for those who want to push it into a violent revolution.
                        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I prefer classics, I read to my son before Dumas and Jules Verne sleep.

Comment

I finally found a book about yoga that hits the right spots. I've been so frustrated at how shallow and focused mainly on asana that yoga has become in recent years (I don't remember it being this way 20 years ago but others say it was, so maybe I was just lucky with the introduction books I stumbled by that covered all 8 branches as an integrated system).

The book is called Yoga as Medicine and is written by a medical doctor who really did his research for the book. In beautiful contrast to the young, skinny millennials wrapping their legs around their ears and vlogging about how to rush into the asanas and work up a sweat (I hate vinyasa yoga soo much!!!), the author emphasises the journey as the goal of yoga. Flexibility is mearly a side-effect of frequent practice, not the goal. If flexibility is the goal, we call that exercise. Which is still good, but it ain't yoga. He openly admits that some asanas are still hard for him, or not yet possible. That's so refreshing.

He includes techniques I've never come by before, like a trick to relax you simply by pulling on your eyebrows! I love those little gems.

His explanations are great too. I've never been sure I'm doing the ujjayi breath properly but thanks to this book I've nailed it. He simply says to breathe like you're doing a Dearth Vader impression. Then you close your mouth but keep your throat muscles in the same position. Perfect ujjayi every time! (This is a warming breath, but also gives you a sound to focus on when meditating).

I'm so happy to finally have a book that doesn't trigger my body issues, but instead actually helps me to develop my ever growing relationship with my body!
                            夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

The Alchemist by Paul Coehlo. Almost finished it, and find it easy enough that I could try reading it again in Spanish.

Mostly art.

Comment

Ten Days that Shook the World by John Reed

Comment

Working...
                                X