X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Whats everyone reading now or read lately

Originally posted by Heka View Post
    Whens Ramadan? I haven't paid attention foe a few years lol
    It starts at the 26th of May this year :-)

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
    About time!
    Better late than never!
    Do they not, then, ponder about the Qur‘an? Had it been from someone other than Allah, they would have found in it much discrepancy. [4:82]

Comment

Started reading Undaunted Courage by Stephen Ambrose. It's about Lewis and the American West. Looking forward to reading a new part of history.
      Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dumuzi View Post

It starts at the 26th of May this year :-)

Better late than never!
        Oh thatll be an awesome Ramadhan herr in australia! Just about the shortest month of the year! I remember fasting in our summer. Omfgs
        ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
        Seen the desert and the birds
        You cut your hair short
        Like a shush to an insult
        The world had been yelling
        Since the day you were born
        Revolting with anger
        While it smiled like it was cute
        That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

I was reading Old Babylonian laws governing women and Middle Assyrian laws governing women, which led to this. How very shitty those laws are.
          “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
          ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
          ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

I finally gave in and bought the Complete Guide to the Tarot Illuminati by Kim Huggens. Joanna DeVoe is forever recommending it as a great guide to any Rider-Weight style deck and the quotes she shares from the book frequently strike a chord for me.

I am so pleased I bought it. This book is by far the best guide to tarot I've come across. It's a thick, heavy book dedicating several pages to each card and going into vast detail about the imagery and deeper meanings in each card. I know I'm a softy and get emotional easily, but the very first thing I read made me cry.

You see, I've been battling sleep maintenance insomnia; the kind where you fall asleep just fine but wake up a few hours too soon and can't fall back to sleep, for a while. That's part of the reason I haven't been posting so much lately. I like to draw a card for the day after my miracle morning routine and last night after a good days sleep for once, I got the Queen of Wands. I turned to my brand new shiny book to see what it had to say about this card. It began by describing her as the perfect balance between fire and water. That's Brigantia!! The card was telling me that Brigantia is with me. I welled up and just knew I'd bought the right book! The Queen of Wands will forever represent Brigantia for me now!

I must say I've had a great day and feel better than I have felt in weeks.

Right now I'm using the book to look up cards from a reading I did recently and it is adding a lot more depth to the reading. It's helping me work through a few things I'd missed when I just read it from my own understanding of the cards.

Once again, Joanna knew best!
            夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Neil Gaiman's Norse Mythology he treats the stories well I think.
              You remind me of the babe
              What babe?
              The babe with the power
              What power?
              The Power of voodoo
              Who do?
              You do!
              Do what?
              Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

• Originally posted by iris View Post
                Neil Gaiman's Norse Mythology he treats the stories well I think.
                Ooo recommend??
                ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                Seen the desert and the birds
                You cut your hair short
                Like a shush to an insult
                The world had been yelling
                Since the day you were born
                Revolting with anger
                While it smiled like it was cute
                That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
                  Ooo recommend??
                  I'm halfway through, it's just the same stories you've likely read a thousand times (such as how the gods got their treasures and how fenris was chained) but I'm really enjoying it, he makes them feel very much alive. So yea I'd recommend it.
                  You remind me of the babe
                  What babe?
                  The babe with the power
                  What power?
                  The Power of voodoo
                  Who do?
                  You do!
                  Do what?
                  Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                    I was reading Old Babylonian laws governing women and Middle Assyrian laws governing women, which led to this. How very shitty those laws are.
                    Interesting read. Don't know why but I never really though of the scarf in the same light as the veil as a mandated covering. Always though of it as a position of class and gender identification but never equated it with the veil and face covering for some reason.
                    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

*sigh. 10 more hours of IT. I think I'll listen to the rest while on my road trip Monday. Still in the game though!
                      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

reading the Hebrew Goddess by Raphael Patai
                        Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons, For You Are Crunchy And Good With Kethup.

Comment

Still on the last 10 hours of IT. But started another audiobook while on vacation.
                          The Living Dead anthology by John Joseph Adams.

Comment

*fist bump

So after that anthology of the dead (which was ok at best, in fact I can't even remember a story from it. It was just sorta a palate cleanser I guess).

I went on to read a most amazing story called Fellside by M.R. Carey. A sort of 'supernatural' story. It's from the author of The Girl with all the gifts. It was emotionally stunning.

Then followed up another of his books called The boy on the bridge. A sort of sequel (more parallel)story to The Girl with all the gifts. It takes place during the same world and closely related events. Also amazing! And I love this narrator. She's so emotionally there for the characters. It's a heart tugger...with zombies, natch.

Comment

The Radium Girls: The Dark Story of America's Shining Women by Kate Moore
                              “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
                              ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
                              ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                              sigpic

Comment

I've recently started reading Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb. I don't know why I waited so long to read them!
                                “The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.” – John Muir

Mostly art.

Comment

Working...
                                X