This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Whats everyone reading now or read lately

I'm reading a book called "Doppler". I forget who wrote it atm, but it's a norweigan guy, and the book's been translated. It's about a guy who's father dies, and he decides to go and live in the forest, and he makes friends with a moose.

It's cute and charming and a nice little diversion from the usual books I read (epic fantasy, or pre-christian history)

Mostly art.

Comment

I'm re-reading Terry Pratchett's Nome Trilogy Trucker, Diggers and Wings.

Comment

I recently did a re-read of "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" and am nearly finished re-reading "Half-Blood Prince." I'm also very slowly working my way through Anne Rice's "The Witching Hour."
        Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
        -Erik Erikson

Comment

Ive been slowly reading the Unwind trilogy. I must admit it's taken a lot of time to work up the courage to read the second one.
          We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
          It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
          Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
          -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

In the last 3 months O.o?

Edge of Destiny (the second Guild Wars book... like the game) I give it an A+!! I need to read Ghosts of Ascalon (the first book in the series)
            Hunger Games (the first book in the trilogy) I enjoyed reading this quite a bit, the POV was a little different than I am used too. I give it an A-. I plan on reading the next 2 books :3

50 Shades of Grey (don't judge me! I got curious! XD) I give it a C... the writing style for my taste was iffy. There were several parts in the book that made me giggle but I really had to force myself to finish it. Because I don't like leaving things unfinished, I'll eventually read the next 2 books in the triology, but it's wayyyyyyyyyyy down on my list.

Legacy of Blood (one of the Diablo books, it's it's own trilogy, but there are like... 5 or more other books around the Diablo universe that I want to read)
            I don't have a completed grade for this book yet, but I really enjoy the style, it's close to my own (when I do decide to write). The writer paints a pretty picture for me to visualize as I am reading without going into complete detail. I feel like the rating's going to be another A+ but we'll see ;D

Comment

The Fate of the Dwarves by Markus Heitz. The fourth and final in a very long awaited series, originally published in German, only just recently translated to English.

I suspect I'll be posting in here in another day or two with another book. Been reading a lot lately. Unemployment does that.

Mostly art.

Comment

Life of Pi by Yann Martel.
                It's amazing so far :-)

Comment

Electrified Sheep, by Alex Boese

Mostly art.

Comment

Pagan Astrology by Raven Kaldera

Comment

Cookbooks, mostly...

1001 Foods to Die For, which does not actually contain 1001 different foods - there are repeats. It's more of a food encyclopedia with some recipes than a 'cookbook'. I got off to a rough start with it because it described, in detail, what a meatball is. I stuck with it, and it also described some things I've never even heard of, so I've learned some cool foodie stuff.

Recipes from the Wild Horse Desert - featuring some authentic Mexican family recipes & Texas/southwestern foods.

Re-reading Women Who Run with the Wolves (Clarissa Pinkola Estes) & Keys to the Open Gate (edited by Kimberley Snow) just because I've run out of other non-cookbooks to read, lol.
                      The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

"How To Spot A Dangerous Man Before You Get Involved" by Sandra Brown. Should be required reading for all females on their 16th birthdays.
                        sigpic
                        Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

just read Witchcraft, Magic and Alchemy by Emile Grillot de Givry
                          been working on Writing with style by John Trimble, and the Prose Edda

Comment

The Hobit. I'm an extremely slow reader and I've been picking it up on and off for the past half a year XP It's a great book though and I really need to finish it before the movie comes out!

Comment

hmm. I read several books together, some go quickly and others can take years. The two I most recently finished were quick reads:

A Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce Cameron.

The General Theory of Information: Origin of Truth and Hope by Dr. Christian Bach and Dr. Salvatore Belardo.

"No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical." -- Niels Bohr

Comment

I pre-ordered, The Candle and the Crossroads: A Book of Appalachian Conjure and Southern Root-Work
                                by Orion Foxwood. It came December 1st. It's not what I expected but it's interesting.

Comment

Working...
                                X