This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Whats everyone reading now or read lately

I've been plowing through what I own of the Black Dagger Brotherhood (paranormal romance fluff) for the second time. *If* I get into school before term starts next week it'll be a good year and half or more before I have time to read fluff again, so there's that.
    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

I'm simultaneously reading "Those who fight monsters" by Robert Kessler and "To walk a pagan path" by Alaric Albertsson. Yes, virtually polar opposites!

Comment

I picked up the silmarillion again, this time on audiobook. Weirdly enough it's the only thing in the lord of the rings I've read. I've never seen the movies either.
        Circe

Comment

EatQ by Susan Albers. It's a book about helping people with mindless eating turn to mindful eating techniques. Something I am in major need of doing.
          Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Just finished Persepolis Rising by James SA Corey. Now I have to wait for the next one like a regular plebion.

Probably gonna start The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman next.

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
              Probably gonna start The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman next.
              Oooh. That one was on my list this summer. It was good, although it was one of those where I got so distressed on behalf of the characters that I almost didn't enjoy it. I don't know if that would be a common response though, or whether it just hit the right buttons with me. I'm trying to read all Neil Gaiman, but only through the library. Sometimes it is hit or miss whether they have all of the books.

Comment

Paganism: An introduction to Earth-Centered Religions by Joyce and River Higginbotham.

Comment

Principles of Human Anatomy
                  Grief Counseling and Grief Therapy
                  Pathology and Microbiology for Mortuary Science
                  Counseling Skills for Companioning the Mourner
                  A Tale of Two Funerals
                  Fundamentals of Funeral Directing

I was right.... I have no time for fun reading anymore. This program is going to kill me (wouldn't that be ironic?).
                  We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                  It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                  Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.

Comment

Originally posted by Prickly Pear View Post
                    Oooh. That one was on my list this summer. It was good, although it was one of those where I got so distressed on behalf of the characters that I almost didn't enjoy it. I don't know if that would be a common response though, or whether it just hit the right buttons with me. I'm trying to read all Neil Gaiman, but only through the library. Sometimes it is hit or miss whether they have all of the books.
                    I really enjoyed it. My favourite of his so far is still a tie between Stardust and Neverwhere, though I've also read American Gods, Anansi Boys, and Ocean at the End of the Lane.

I'm currently reading Dark Paths by Markus Heitz. It's just so terribly trashy fantasy. I love it.

Mostly art.

Comment

The Origin of Species by Charles Darwin. It's hard to get into, but scientific books are. I'm hoping to learn from it though. It's been a book I have been wanting to read for a while.
                      Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

I m reading "The Land Of The Painted Caves" and i love to .

Comment

I'm reading a history book called Red Famine: Stalin's War on Ukraine. It's very interesting so far.
                          Anubisa

Comment

I'm reading a couple of 3 buck ebooks. One on candle magic, another on Elder Futhark Runes. I'm really getting in to this stuff.

Comment

Healing Grief by James Van Praagh. It's a book from the perspective of a medium in healing grief. I got it to compare contrast some spiritual beliefs with the science of grieving that I'm learning in class. I'm already somewhat frustrated a couple chapters in because I'm comparing/contrasting to the science of grief that I'm learning and he misidentifies the stages of grief. He uses the common stages that most people know (denial, anger, bartering, depression, acceptance) which aren't actually the stages of grief, they're the stages of accepting personal terminal illness. Grief is processed by four tasks, which can be done in any order. Accepting the reality of the loss, processing the pain, adjusting to a world without the deceased, and finding a connection to the deceased while still embarking on a new life without them.

I've come across the misuse several times since I learned this information because it is such a widely held belief, but I really wish authors would do better research... And I think this particular misuse of information is going to irk me for the rest of my life. Partly, that's because I've never gone through the stages of grief as they're commonly held and when I read the scientific backing for the tasks of grieving it made so much more sense to me. I was able to stop feeling like there was something wrong with me because I didn't process in the same way as "everyone else".

Comment

The four tasks seem spot on to me. I didn't really really understand that the famous stages of grief are about a personal terminal illness. That makes more sense in my mind. I have certainly seen denial, anger, and depression in grieving survivors, but I have always thought that not all of them applied to everyone, every time, and that they are more fluid than rigid stages. Maybe that we are all in different places dealing with our own inevitable deaths, so that at different points in our lives we react differently to the deaths of those around us. I went through a spate of deaths fairly recently that really made me angry. I suspect that I've mostly worked through that, and next time there will be a different flavor to the pain. I do think that the four tasks apply each time.

I'm really interested to hear more about what you are studying.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, people who tell you what you should be feeling are irksome. Some people prattle on about closure, what state of grief you should be in, whether the parents of the missing child on television should be more tearful or more angry or more calm in the presence of cameras. If you tell someone you are depressed, half of them will tell you that depression is just anger turned inward, because someone once told them that. It is not helpful. I always want to ask if I will feel better if I turn my anger outward and punch them. Seems like a good trade off to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, people who tell you what you should be feeling are irksome. Some people prattle on about closure, what state of grief you should be in, whether the parents of the missing child on television should be more tearful or more angry or more calm in the presence of cameras. If you tell someone you are depressed, half of them will tell you that depression is just anger turned inward, because someone once told them that. It is not helpful. I always want to ask if I will feel better if I turn my anger outward and punch them. Seems like a good trade off to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X