Results 1,511 to 1,520 of 1536

Thread: Whats everyone reading now or read lately

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Witch
    Phrase
    Move forward with purpose. -Sherillyn Kenyon

Re: Whats everyone reading now or read lately

Safely Embalming an Anthrax Case, Clostridium Deficile, and Tuberculosis, all by Kim Collison. Thankfully, they're all just articles.

Also been reading The Naming by Allison Croggon.
    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Finding sanctity.
    Phrase
    Mistress of the Ban

Voice in the Wild - Laurie Sarkadi
    We are all these things [...]. Pride, desire, compassion, cleverness, belligerence, fruitfulness, loyalty...and guilt. But above it all stands love. And if we desire to be more than human, that is the star by which we must set our sights.

Questions of science, science and progress, do not speak as loud as my heart.

Hot Pickle!

You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.

“Leaving is not enough. You must stay gone. Train your heart like a dog. Change the locks even on the house he’s never visited. You lucky, lucky girl. You have an apartment just your size. A bathtub full of tea. A heart the size of Arizona, but not nearly so arid. Don’t wish away your cracked past, your crooked toes, your problems are papier mache puppets you made or bought because the vendor at the market was so compelling you just had to have them. You had to have him. And you did. And now you pull down the bridge between your houses, you make him call before he visits, you take a lover for granted, you take a lover who looks at you like maybe you are magic. Make the first bottle you consume in this place a relic. Place it on whatever altar you fashion with a knife and five cranberries. Don’t lose too much weight. Stupid girls are always trying to disappear as revenge. And you are not stupid. You loved a man with more hands than a parade of beggars, and here you stand. Heart like a four-poster bed. Heart like a canvas. Heart leaking something so strong they can smell it in the street.”

Frida Kahlo to Marty McConnell

Feb 2019
    Religion
    ZEUS
    Phrase
    Thats something

Whats everyone reading now or read lately

I was recommended this book by a professor of jewish studies

The Beginnings of Jewishness: Boundaries, Varieties, Uncertainties (Hellenistic Culture and Society)

author Shaye J.D. Cohen

Feb 2019
    Religion
    ZEUS
    Phrase
    Thats something

Re: a great jewish book

Quote Originally Posted by Juniper View Post
    Can you tell us a little bit more about this book? Was it recommended as part of the curriculum? Are you reading it now and what do you think of it, other than "great" as the title suggests. I presume you want to discuss this book but you haven't really given us anything to go on so could you elaborate a little about what you'd like to discuss?
    Great question! Sorry you shouldn't have to ask. I'm not used to talking to people who may actually have some of the same interests as me so I'm usually not detailed when I bring up something because people just lose interest and move on to something else before I am done speaking. Ok so lets see what I can remember its been over a year since ive read it maybe two. It is a scholarly type of book if you know what I mean its never going to be on a best seller list but if your looking for FACTS its full of them. The main topic of the book is actually explaining very thouroughly and in depth the meaning of three words in greek they were something like Ioudaizen Ioudaizou and something else similar to those two. It compares the hellenes or hellenistic people and the barbarians. It has copies of papers with the descriptions of either christian slaves or christian prisoners and has detailed descriptions of their appearances. it talks about alot of civilizations that I never knew existed and have been planning on looking up online to track down some long lost gods or goddesses that I've never heard of but I love rare and obscure things. It explains some of the words of christ what I remember is "Many are called but few are chosen." This means that many people are called Jews but few people actually are Jews. If you like to read to learn and not just be entertained I would give this book a try I may actually try to read it again eventually but I have been having difficulty focusing lately hopefully I will get it under control. I hope this covers what you were asking for.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry I am antisocial. I'll get the hang of this! I'm not used to people actually wanting to hear what I have to say!

May 2012
    Religion
    Optimistic Agnostic
    Phrase
    Suspend Judgement

****Request sticky*** and rename 'book reviews and recommendations' maybe?

This is to help make all those recommendations locatable.

Please include in your review:

Title:
    Author:
    Publish Date:
    Subject or plot teaser:
    Your critique:

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

i like your approach here AZ,that would be a nice thing for getting to a books heart and attraction to readers
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=186&dateline=1330020104

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

Feb 2019
    Religion
    ZEUS
    Phrase
    Thats something

Islamic Demons

I read this book Legends of the Fire Spirits while I was practicing Islam for a few months I felt like I had excluded it all my life because I've researched every religion I could find so I thought I would give Islam a try and of course me being dark minded and all I always gravitate towards the dark sides of religion I found this book which I lovingly refer to as the satanic koran thats just my own name for it though. I really enjoyed it and if you've ever wondered about the devils of Islam Legends of the Fire Spirits will explain it all to you its very thorough and enjoyable! I highly recommend it. https://www.amazon.com/Legends-Fire-Spirits-Genies-Zanzibar/dp/1582436320

Last edited by Austin.Apollo; 11 Feb 2019 at 11:38.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

Re: Islamic Demons

guessing that is about the jinn,i have read about then in sufi practice and the trance of the durvish

- - - Updated - - -

the jinn were created before humans out of energy,fire and other elements,some times smoke also
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=186&dateline=1330020104

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Universalist?

this forum
    In answer to the question of why it happened, I offer the modest proposal that our Universe is simply one of those things which happen from time to time. ~~ Edward P. Tryon

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Witch
    Phrase
    Move forward with purpose. -Sherillyn Kenyon

Re: Islamic Demons

Quote Originally Posted by Austin.Apollo View Post
    I read this book Legends of the Fire Spirits while I was practicing Islam for a few months I felt like I had excluded it all my life because I've researched every religion I could find so I thought I would give Islam a try and of course me being dark minded and all I always gravitate towards the dark sides of religion I found this book which I lovingly refer to as the satanic koran thats just my own name for it though. I really enjoyed it and if you've ever wondered about the devils of Islam Legends of the Fire Spirits will explain it all to you its very thorough and enjoyable! I highly recommend it. https://www.amazon.com/Legends-Fire-Spirits-Genies-Zanzibar/dp/1582436320

I read The Vengeful Djinn years ago. It's always kinda stuck with me. It has a lot of the quasi science you see on those alien TV shows, but it was interesting.
    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.