This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Whats everyone reading now or read lately

Right now I'm reading the celtic shaman by John Matthews, just started it this evening.
    For university I'm reading paradise lost and... and I just finished an essay on the merchant of Venice.
    For leisure I'm reading the magician's guild by trudi canavan... again. One of my favourite books
    You remind me of the babe
    What babe?
    The babe with the power
    What power?
    The Power of voodoo
    Who do?
    You do!
    Do what?
    Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Chemistry.

I'm not sure what I am now, since I can't fully grasp anything in the Complete Idiot's Guide. I think I need the Half-Wit's Guide to Chemistry.
      The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

So now that my work commute went from 2.5 hours a day to 15 minutes a day...my audio listening has dwindled off quite a bit! But fear not, I'm starting to listen to my stories before bed time and while getting ready. Finally...and I do mean finally finished off Scott Sigler's Pandemic. No more blue triangles. Great adventure especially toward the end when I could not stop listening!

Now starting off on Mercy 6 by David Bajo. A bunch of people drop dead in a hospital. People try to cover it up. Why? Me thinks it's a viral outrbeak!!!!

And here we go again...
        Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Mercy 6. I gave it 20 minutes and had to bail. I don't like the weird writing style. And the narrator is like reading a blank chalk board. Just so boring and monotone. Some narrators read a book to you. Some act it out. Some make you feel like you are in high school listening to your teacher explain triangles.

So.........a new audiobook. This audiobook combines my two loves: Zombies and Dante's Inferno. Yup. Valley of the Dead: The truth behind Dante's Inferno. Apparently Dante wrote about hell and dead people eating corpses from PERSONAL EXPERIENCE! Dante's adventures with the zombies. Oh man. I threw all logic and critical thinking out the door. This is just pure fun!

Comment

I'm trying to get through my massive pile of books that I own, but have never even cracked the covers. Right now, I'm reading "A Dictionary of Gnosticism", by Andrew Philip Smith. Gnosticism is a path I know very little about, so I'm looking forward to learning.

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Finished the Dantes Inferno w/ zombies audiobook. Now onto Joe McKinney's Plague of the Undead.
              About zombie, duh

Comment

Back to trash fiction - Revival by Stephen King.
                The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Poetry.. "The convergence of the twain", writing an exam paper about it.
                  What babe?
                  The babe with the power
                  What power?
                  The Power of voodoo
                  Who do?
                  You do!
                  Do what?
                  Remind me of the babe!

Comment

I've been reading Giesha: A Life. It's a memoir. And has very little to do with sex.
                    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

The Tao of Physics. A few decades out of date, but a really good look at the convergence of mysticism and modern science.

Comment

Undeniable: Evolution and the Science of Creation, by Bill Nye the Science Guy.

A nice, accessible, clear look at the evidence for evolution, although, of course, one must be able to put two & two together in a rational way.
                        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Got "city of heavenly fire" as an early birthday present from my uncle, so I'm starting that now.
                          What babe?
                          The babe with the power
                          What power?
                          The Power of voodoo
                          Who do?
                          You do!
                          Do what?
                          Remind me of the babe!

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                            Undeniable: Evolution and the Science of Creation, by Bill Nye the Science Guy.

A nice, accessible, clear look at the evidence for evolution, although, of course, one must be able to put two & two together in a rational way.
                            Have you read Dawkin's Greatest Show on Earth? It's basically the same concept (an in-depth examination of the evidence for evolution), but as someone with no background in biology at the time of reading (beyond 10th grade science class, which I mostly slept through) I found it not only perfectly understandable but extremely engaging and entertaining (something I had never found in a science text before), his brilliance as a biologist and his vibrant love of his field of study really shine through and grab the reader. It actually inspired me, as someone with no previous interest in the field, to take up Biology as an elective for a semester (which for the most part I enjoyed thoroughly, something I would never have suspected had I not read his book).

Comment

Went to the thrift store this Saturday and bought Nummits and crummits; Devonshire customs, characteristics, and folk-lore by Sarah Hewett. It's has quite the personality already!
                              "By yarrow and rue, and my redcap too."

Comment

Originally posted by Aeran View Post
                                Have you read Dawkin's Greatest Show on Earth? It's basically the same concept (an in-depth examination of the evidence for evolution), but as someone with no background in biology at the time of reading (beyond 10th grade science class, which I mostly slept through) I found it not only perfectly understandable but extremely engaging and entertaining (something I had never found in a science text before), his brilliance as a biologist and his vibrant love of his field of study really shine through and grab the reader. It actually inspired me, as someone with no previous interest in the field, to take up Biology as an elective for a semester (which for the most part I enjoyed thoroughly, something I would never have suspected had I not read his book).
                                I haven't read it, but I was looking at it before I went to the Nye book. I picked Nye because I've never read anything he's written but I've read a bit by Dawkins before.
                                Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Working...
                                X