X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Whats everyone reading now or read lately

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
    I always loved browsing old used book stores,never know what you will run across.
    Originally posted by iris View Post
    Me too! It's wonderful. and I just love books.
    And the smell of them is just an added bonus!
    "By yarrow and rue, and my redcap too."

Comment

I'm about to start reading "The Urban Primitive" by Raven Kaldera and Tannin Schwartzstein. I know of Mr. Kaldera through the BDSM community and I own one of his books in that realm ("Real Service" by himself and his boy, Joshua Tenpenny). I really enjoyed that, so I'll be interested to see what he has here. I know from his website that his path is very...intense, so I'm prepared for that.
      Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Finished up Dead City. Now going back to a classic. The haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson.
        Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
          Finished up Dead City. Now going back to a classic. The haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson.
          I read The Haunting of Hill House for the first time about 6 months ago. I really enjoyed it. The edition I read also had an introduction by Guillermo del Torro.

Comment

Originally posted by OldMotherWestWind View Post
            And the smell of them is just an added bonus!
            I love used book stores too. It's too bad that we don't have any here in Morgantown.
            Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
              I read The Haunting of Hill House for the first time about 6 months ago. I really enjoyed it. The edition I read also had an introduction by Guillermo del Torro.
              Oh I love Del Torro. His Strain trilogy with Chuck Hogan is probably my top book(s) this year.

Comment

The First Book of Urglaawe Myths: Old Deitsch Tales for the Current Era, by Robert L. Schreiwer

Comment

Finished The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson. Good suspenseful novel. And now I'm back to the parasites! Symbiont: Parasitology series by Mira Grant. I'm so excited to have her original narrator continue with this sequel.

Comment

Rereading 'The Diary of Anne Frank'

I was born on her birthday. She's an angel. Her writings touch me in quiet, poignant ways.
                    No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

I spent my week (plus two weekends) off work and without a computer a) reading and b) playing Terraria with the kids and c) playing outside. I read a total of 23 books in all...and am somewhat ashamed at my gluttony. Lets just say that I'm only a high maintenance girl when it comes to reading (and I'm not the only one, Hubby and Phee read a ton too...Sharkbait is still on the picutre book, easy to read stuff).

Thalassa's Book Marathon:

*Gail Carriger's Parasol Protectorate series (5 books of steampunk fantasy with a bit of romance) and what she has out of her Finishing School series (a YA series that is a prequel to the Parasol Portectorate and so far--there are only 3 books--offers some background and has a lovely twist on what it means to finish well)...so basically, I'm all caught up for when she releases her next book (the first of a new series), which happens about 20 years after the Parasol Protectorate books. All in all, her books are charming and well written, always in high fashion and manners (very Victorian) and she's done some fascinating things with warewolves, ghosts, and vampires (while not making them sparkly).

*10 books from of Kresley Cole's Immortals After Dark (IAD) series (which is billed as paranormal romance, but is really more of an urban fantasy with lots of naughty time). Their plots are novel as an idea, but sort of cheesy and formulatic with themselves (sort of like John Mayer and Nickleback), but I like the world building and I'm a fan of most of the carachters.

*Death by Black Hole by Neil Degrasse Tyson, Heirs to Forgotten Kingdoms by Gerard Russel (an excellent book on some of the disappearing minority religions in the Middle East, that I discovered via NPR's Fresh Air), Ancestor's Tale by Richard Dawkins (a big fat science storybook of evolution--its really good, though chewy), Parenting Children With ADHD by Vincent Monastra (exactly what it sounds like), and Utterly Wicked by Dorothy Morrison (a book of curses and the like--I met the author a couple years ago and she was really sweet, so...)

And right now, I'm reading The Earth, the Gods, and the Soul by Brendan Myers and rereading Richard Dawkins' Greatest Show on Earth
                      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                      sigpic

Comment

The slow regard of silent things - Patrick Rothfuss. It's absolutely brilliant!
                        You remind me of the babe
                        What babe?
                        The babe with the power
                        What power?
                        The Power of voodoo
                        Who do?
                        You do!
                        Do what?
                        Remind me of the babe!

Comment

The slow regard of silent things - Patrick Rothfuss. It's absolutely brilliant!
                          Ah, no spoilers! It's next on the list!

I'm reading:
                          - A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens (1936 copy, it smells like gold and must and happiness)
                          - This Sky by Autumn Doughton (not my usual cup of tea, but I just got a Kindle and thought I'd try it out)
                          - The Hobbit by JRR Tolkien

Mostly art.

Comment

The Ocean at the End of the Lane, by Neil Gaiman

I loved the Sandman Series by Neil Gaiman, so when I saw this book at a used book store, I couldn't resist

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                              Ah, no spoilers! It's next on the list!
                              I won't spoil it have you read the rest of his books?
                              You remind me of the babe
                              What babe?
                              The babe with the power
                              What power?
                              The Power of voodoo
                              Who do?
                              You do!
                              Do what?
                              Remind me of the babe!

Comment

I won't spoil it have you read the rest of his books?
                                Yup! They're great

Mostly art.

Comment

Working...
                                X