This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Whats everyone reading now or read lately

Just finished Following The Deer Trods, and now moving onto Mysteries of the Dark Moon: The Healing Power of the Dark Goddess. It seems like it's along the lines of Reclaiming traditions (or what little I know about it) and looks at religion as a more Goddess-centric point of view, which is fine by me since I don't feel comfortable worshiping a male god (nothing against anyone who does, though). It's the second or third book I've read so far which goes along the theory that Proto-Indo-European patriarchal tribes invaded Old Europe, India and the Middle East around 5 to 6 thousand years ago, who's cultures were matriarchal.

While it sounds nice to think there were tribes that were matriarchal in the the past (or more equal), other than Celtic and pre-Nara Japan, I really don't know of any other cultures that treated women equal to men, and verified by scholars. I'm assuming there must have been others out there that were equal, but I'm still not necessarily convinced about matriarchal old Europe, until I've read some recent scholarly work confirming it.

Anything know anything about this subject? Maybe this would be better as a new topic, but I'll just post it here now.
    Last edited by toxicyarnglare; 05 Sep 2016, 09:26.

Comment

I'm gonna reread Harry Potter because I have addiction issues.
      No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

I read The Paper Magician. Meh.

I started Reunion of Ghosts which is alright so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Raphaeline View Post
          I read The Paper Magician. Meh.
          I liked the idea of it, but yeah, the execution wasn't what I'd hoped. I didn't think it was bad, and in some ways I thought it was cool (I've read all three because I have to if I read one), but it wasn't great and certain aspects were underwhelming.
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

Reading Wicked by Gregory Maguire. I really like it. Am about halfway through and am hoping to finish it soon.
            Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Originally posted by anubisa View Post
              Reading Wicked by Gregory Maguire. I really like it. Am about halfway through and am hoping to finish it soon.
              Omg I love that book! I actually bought it waaay back in the day. It was in a 'budget book store' one of those that is only there for like a week and then gone. I found it in a bin for $1. Best budget book I ever got.

So I just finished the novel The Girl with all the gifts by M.R Carey. It's popular right now because the trailer is out (which looks to be very promising after listening to the audiobook!). It was actually based on a shorter story he did for an anthology on zombies. It broke my heart it was so good. And the audiobook narrator did an excellent job portraying innocence and cold hearted all with the same voice. I listened to the audiobook at night into the wee mornings. Insomnia does come in handy at times. I'm putting this up there as my top ten book of all times. Yup. I'm a stoked listener!

And now on to..duh...more zombies! Resurrection by Michael J Totten.
              Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                Omg I love that book! I actually bought it waaay back in the day. It was in a 'budget book store' one of those that is only there for like a week and then gone. I found it in a bin for $1. Best budget book I ever got.

So I just finished the novel The Girl with all the gifts by M.R Carey. It's popular right now because the trailer is out (which looks to be very promising after listening to the audiobook!). It was actually based on a shorter story he did for an anthology on zombies. It broke my heart it was so good. And the audiobook narrator did an excellent job portraying innocence and cold hearted all with the same voice. I listened to the audiobook at night into the wee mornings. Insomnia does come in handy at times. I'm putting this up there as my top ten book of all times. Yup. I'm a stoked listener!

And now on to..duh...more zombies! Resurrection by Michael J Totten.
                I finally finished Wicked and I loved it! I am thinking about reading the two other books related to the Wicked series. I am about to begin The Devil is Here in These Hills. It's about the WV Coal Miners. Looking forward to some history reading.
                Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

You know I find myself gravitating to coal miner stories a lot. I finished this year or last maybe(?) The 33 about those Chilean miners. An excellent read!

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                    You know I find myself gravitating to coal miner stories a lot. I finished this year or last maybe(?) The 33 about those Chilean miners. An excellent read!
                    The movie was also good.
                    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I am torn between 33 and The complete Star wars series on cable. The star wars series is well over 12-15 hours to binge watch,and it will most likely not remain in on demand that long. That is a LOT of hours to go through.

- - - Updated - - -

If I do the binge,I am going to have to stock up on snacks to see me through.

- - - Updated - - -

I know Mask is a star wars fan,it is on Comcast on TNT on demand. and ends Oct 25. Just a heads up.
                      MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

The 33 was great! Do iiiit

Comment

Starting Zombie, Ohio by Scott Kenemore. A zombie tale told from the side of a zombie, all be it a re-born intelligent one!

Comment

The Odyssey.
                            baah.

Comment

Ashley Bell, by Dean Koontz. I've always liked his style.
                              sigpic
                              Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Food Matters by Mark Bittman.
                                Anubisa

Comment

Working...
                                X