X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parenting Debate: To Snip or no?

THE GREAT CIRCUMCISION DEBATE!!!

My opinion (slightly modified from my post at CafeMom):

In our family, the circumcision decision was decided by the hubby. He's the one with the same plumbing, so he has the final say in the decisions about penis department.

TBH, parents make hundreds of decisions that permanently affect their children for the rest of their lives---reducing this to a comparison between male circumcision and female genital mutilation is a logical fallacy--anatomically speaking, as a weak analogy, and in general as a red herring.

Its simple: some parents choose the purported health benefits and/or religious importance, others choose physical autonomy and/or purported psychosexual benefit...either way, there are benefits and risks to both, so mind your own kids, be happy with your choice, and get over it.
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Re: Parenting Debate: To Snip or no?

I agree. I think the male should decide along with my advice. I'm all up for it.
    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

My husband chose as well. We did it not only for the health benifits of just being cleaner down there but also for his future sexual image of himself I guess

Comment

Mr Penry is a great believer in 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it.'
        www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

lol what amber said. i researched it and told dufonce the pros and con of each decision and ultimately he made the decision. im not a boy i dnt have a penis so i left it to the man. but i made sure he was educated first. lol
          "Close your eyes, take 20 paces farther than you thought nessesary and just when you think you've lost your way completely.. you'll be there. open your eyes" Alice Hoffman

Comment

We didn't with the little guy...I figure if he wants to change that someday, he can. Personally, though, I don't care for the fact that what was once a religious thing for the Jewish people got latched onto 150 years ago by American doctors who were sure that masturbation was the source of all ills, and then became cemented as a part of American culture.
            Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Originally posted by DeseretRose View Post
              ....part of American culture.
              Wow! I did not know that. I don't think many people in the UK would consider circumcision part of their culture.
              www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Personally, I don't really get why it's so common in the US. It's plastic surgery done on a baby's penis to make it look "better." I can't be the only one that thinks that's kinda odd, right?
                Cogito ergo sum.

My blog type thing: RaineV1.tumblr.com

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow Dragon View Post
                  Personally, I don't really get why it's so common in the US. It's plastic surgery done on a baby's penis to make it look "better." I can't be the only one that thinks that's kinda odd, right?
                  Like I said above, SD. Really and truly, the reason is because American doctors used to think that reduced sensitivity would cut down or prevent masturbation.

Originally posted by http://www.noharmm.org/circamerica.htm
                  The systematic removal of the foreskin owes its ubiquity in America to one man named Dr. Lewis Sayre, once known as the "Columbus of the prepuce" by his colleagues. In 1870, Sayre drew a correlation between the foreskin and an orthopedic malady in a young boy. Through a series of bizarre medical experiments, Sayre and his colleagues eventually determined that links existed between the foreskin and a vast range of ailments that included gout, asthma, hernias, epilepsy, rheumatism, curvature of the spine, tuberculosis and elephantiasis. But what drove circumcision deeper into the bedrock of pediatric medicine was the strident belief that masturbation, thought to be the root of everything from bed-wetting to intractable forms of insanity and mental retardation, could be "cured" with circumcision.

Dr. Peter Charles Remondino, a well-known physician, public health official and champion of universal circumcision, typified the Zeitgeist. Remondino wrote that the foreskin, which he referred to as an "unyielding tube" and "a superfluity," made the intact male "a victim to all manner of ills, sufferings ... and other conditions calculated to weaken him physically, mentally, and morally; to land him, perchance, in jail, or even in a lunatic asylum."

Dr. John Harvey Kellogg, a well-known fundamentalist health reformer and medical journalist (his 1888 "Plain Facts for Old and Young" included roughly 100 pages dedicated to "Secret Vice [Solitary or Self Abuse]") who went on to create the world's preeminent corn flake, was more direct in his approach. "A remedy for masturbation which is almost always successful in small boys is circumcision," he wrote. "The operation should be performed by a surgeon without administering an anesthetic, as the brief pain attending the operation will have a salutary effect upon the mind, especially if it be connected with the idea of punishment. In females, the author has found the application of pure carbolic acid to the clitoris an excellent means of allaying the abnormal excitement."

As astonishing as it may seem, Kellogg's views were shared by most prominent practitioners of the time. In Robert Tooke's popular book "All About the Baby," published in 1896, circumcision is recommended for preventing "the vile habit of masturbation." And Dr. Mary Melendy, author of "For Maidens, Wives and Mothers," wrote that masturbation "lays the foundation for consumption, paralysis and heart disease ... It even makes many lose their minds; others, when grown, commit suicide." Appealing to parents who might question the protracted afflictions associated with masturbation, Melendy warned, "Don't think it does no harm to your boy because he does not suffer now, for the effects of this vice come on so slowly that the victim is often very near death before you realize that he has done himself harm."

Comment

I will say that part of the division was made on the basis of an experience that a mutual friend of ours had in his late teen years which resulted in being partially "circumcised" in a non-medical setting (kinky nooky, and it ripped), and then had complications from needing to have it medically circumcised afterwards. He said the entire experience was so traumatic that it was worse than breaking his leg in three places in a motorcycle accident. Hubby decided to err on the side of caution, and any boy child would have it done--as the hubby put it "I don't remember it, I don't miss it, and sex is still great."
                    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                    sigpic

Comment

I don't know...in North America people are SO big on it, and to be honest if I were with an American guy I'd still say "no." NO ONE does it here. Even back home in Canada, even though the majority do it, it's still a higher percentage that don't than in the US. In Europe, Australia, etc, it's seen as kind of weird and most American girls get over it when they realize that their "British/Euro" guy fantasy has to come with an unsnipped one. Hygienically I don't see there being any benefits. I've been with a lot of dudes, and almost all of them have been unsnipped, and they've been totally clean, and you don't hear any horror stories about it either.

---------- Post added at 02:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:14 AM ----------

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
                      Wow! I did not know that. I don't think many people in the UK would consider circumcision part of their culture.
                      On top of that, many people I know from the UK think it's flat-out weird. They'll get over it if they're with an American guy, but they don't really love it either.

Comment

I will say this though...regardless of one's opinion of their own kids, the LEGISLATION of it, particularly without religious exemptions, I think is wrong.
                        sigpic

Comment

Sure, it's not banned or anything here...no one does it.

A funny story....I know a few girls from North America (some Canadian, some American) who think it's weird to be uncut. One was REALLY vocal about it, but also had a HUGE fantasy about meeting and hooking up with a European guy. I was like, "You know they're uncut, right?" and she was still off about how gross she thought it was. Well, she went to Europe, and it's actually amazing how fast she just got over it. I guess the accent and the Balkan charm overpowered being uncircumcised :P now she's also EXTREMELY vocal about how sexy uncut guys are.

Comment

The reason I bring up the legislating of it is because of this.

I think the problem is that people (and moms especially) tend to take a different parenting choice as a personal affront to *their* parenting choice...which (IMO) is just dumb.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                              I will say that part of the division was made on the basis of an experience that a mutual friend of ours had in his late teen years which resulted in being partially "circumcised" in a non-medical setting (kinky nooky, and it ripped), and then had complications from needing to have it medically circumcised afterwards. He said the entire experience was so traumatic that it was worse than breaking his leg in three places in a motorcycle accident. Hubby decided to err on the side of caution, and any boy child would have it done--as the hubby put it "I don't remember it, I don't miss it, and sex is still great."
                              Ah...that is a big difference, too, Thal. L was cut a bit too close...he has significantly less feeling then he should have, which also influenced our choice.
                              Last edited by Dez; 17 Jun 2011, 16:51.

Comment

Working...
                              X