Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parenting Debate: To Vax or no?

THE GREAT VACCINATION DEBATE!!

Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Re: Parenting Debate: To Vax or no?

both of my children are fully vaccinated and will continue to be fully vaccinated! Where I am, it is still mandatory that the child be vaccinated before entering kindergarten. I think (don't quote me on this) the only way around it is for proven religious beliefs and/or certain proven medical conditions to where the vaccine itself would be dangerous.

Is there any hard core proof that vaccines can cause autisim? I'm not well read on the subject so I'm not sure

Comment

Originally posted by Amber View Post
      both of my children are fully vaccinated and will continue to be fully vaccinated! Where I am, it is still mandatory that the child be vaccinated before entering kindergarten. I think (don't quote me on this) the only way around it is for proven religious beliefs and/or certain proven medical conditions to where the vaccine itself would be dangerous.

Is there any hard core proof that vaccines can cause autisim? I'm not well read on the subject so I'm not sure
      No, there isn't any reasonable and unrefuted evidence that vaccines cause autism---except for a few badly done, statistically insignificant studies, there isn't even any evidence of correlation. Hubby is moping over getting net time, so I don't have time to go into it at the moment...

I mean, yes, as with all medical procedures, there are risks...and with all medications there is the potential for side affects, allergies, etc...but as a former medic, and having had to sit thru a video of children with the diseases we vax against, I would never not vaccinate my children for most illnesses.

I am a bit ambivalent on some of them (chicken pox), but for the most part, yes, my children are completely vaccinated as well (even the flu--and we also eat tuna...if I remember correctly, the amount of mercury in thimerisol in a flu vaccine is equivalent to a can of tuna).
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

My children also receive the flu vaccine every year. The both have bad indoor/outdoor allergies so it just seems to help. And neither of my children nor myself have ever gotten sick from a flu vaccine

Comment

our son is almost fully vaxed. i only allow two shots a visit. last visit the ped. wanted to give him five shots!!! no freaking way!! i dont like shots to begin with but its a double neg with us. bad things COULD happen wether you do or dont so i just dont push his littlee system. two is enought. three if one is an oral liquid.

---------- Post added at 05:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:52 PM ----------

oh yeah. we dont do he flu vax. my dad works in the er and we says most of the cases of flu he gets are from the vax. andi havent gotten it in years and neither had dufonce. and we havent gotten it. so i just dont play with that.
          "Close your eyes, take 20 paces farther than you thought nessesary and just when you think you've lost your way completely.. you'll be there. open your eyes" Alice Hoffman

Comment

I'd like to know how people get the flu from a dead vaccine? Now there are flu like side effects. But I'd like to know the science on how that works.
            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

its weakened not dead
              "Close your eyes, take 20 paces farther than you thought nessesary and just when you think you've lost your way completely.. you'll be there. open your eyes" Alice Hoffman

Comment

I space them out farther then usual, and fewer at a time. No chickenpox...they can catch it from another kid. Because I'm a tad paranoid like that.
                Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

There is no real proof that vaccinations for most diseases causes anything bad to happen. However, not vaccinating can seriously put a child a risk. To me, it seems like a no brainer.
                  Cogito ergo sum.

My blog type thing: RaineV1.tumblr.com

Comment

OK, I'm not a parent, so maybe I'm not qualified to debate this, but the whole fact that this is even a debate drives me crazy. Just look at the disease rate existing before vaccinations existed and look at it after. Granted, your kid isn't likely to catch polio now, but that's ONLY because of vaccinations!

If and when I have children, they're getting all their shots, and if I have a teenage girl I'd like her to have those shots that prevent the human pap virus as well. and Hep b (for either gender)...not sure if that's required everywhere but back home, we HAD to get them and I'm glad I did.

I can understand spacing them out though, and I agree about chickenpox, because it's not that harmful to kids (bad for adults though!) and they catch it pretty easily off other kids. I've heard of people doing "chickenpox" parties, where if one kid gets it they put them all together so they all get it, and then they all get it over with and build up the immunity.

Comment

Originally posted by DeseretRose View Post
                      I space them out farther then usual, and fewer at a time. No chickenpox...they can catch it from another kid. Because I'm a tad paranoid like that.
                      Now, if they don't get them by a reasonable age where it is unlikely that they will get it (other kids being vaxed for school, etc), will you consider it? Or would you go the chicken pox party route, and go out of your way to make sure they get it?

I only ask because chicken pox gets worse to *have* as they get older...and as an adult, has complications that can occur that usually don't in children.

Originally posted by yukanaoe View Post
                      its weakened not dead
                      The flu vaccine--if you get the SHOT uses a dead virus, the flu virus if you get the MIST is an attenuated virus.

Either way, you don't get sick from the vaccination. You get sick from something else--most people that *think* they have "the flu" don't, and have other illness with similar symptoms--colds, URI, etc...OR they have a different version of the flu that isn't vaccinated against (there are thousands of flu strains, the vax is only for the ones they think are likely to become an epidemic) OR you were exposed to the flu (from a person) before the shot or sometime in the several weeks that it takes to build immunity.
                      sigpic

Comment

Yeah I felt like I had the flu in September when I was recovering from strep throat, a cold AND an allergy attack that resulted in anaphylactic shock all at the same time. After all that, my body just felt like hell. I think a cold plus the introduction of the dead flu can sometimes set your immune system into "overprotective" mode.

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                          Now, if they don't get them by a reasonable age where it is unlikely that they will get it (other kids being vaxed for school, etc), will you consider it? Or would you go the chicken pox party route, and go out of your way to make sure they get it?

I only ask because chicken pox gets worse to *have* as they get older...and as an adult, has complications that can occur that usually don't in children.
                          Yep, if Allie gets to be 10 or so, and still nothing, I'll have it done.
                          Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Originally posted by yukanaoe View Post
                            its weakened not dead
                            CDC says
                            Misconceptions about the flu shots
                            Can a flu shot give you the flu?

No, a flu shot cannot cause flu illness. The influenza viruses contained in a flu shot are inactivated (killed), which means they cannot cause infection.
                            You got something that says it's weakened instead?
                            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

nope just my fathers word cause he sees it ALL the time in the ER

Comment

Working...
                              X