X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Are babies born atheists?

Originally posted by LiadanWillows View Post
    I said no. But really I guess it depends on the age and maturity of the child. For example I was talking and asking about God when I was two years old. My cousin also was very inquisitive and believed in a higher power at a very young age. But I think children have a concept of God or a higher power but aren't able to express it or understand it fully.

Also I might mention as well that my brother is mentally retarded and therefor quite easily persuaded to be a VERY devout Catholic.

---------- Post added at 09:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:02 PM ----------

Babies have a simple concept of faith, they have faith their parents will feed them, change their diapers, and hold them. Whose to say they do not have some sort of spiritual faith as well?
    babies can't tell the concept of time. So I don't see how they have faith. Momma leaves the room. Baby cries as if the momma is dead. Babies don't even have patience which I think you need to have faith as well. Babies scream cry to tell you to pick them up. They don't trust you will know when to pick them up. So hence the waaaaaa like a waambulance even dogs can hear!
    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by LiadanWillows View Post
      Babies have a simple concept of faith, they have faith their parents will feed them, change their diapers, and hold them. Whose to say they do not have some sort of spiritual faith as well?
      One of my favorite quotes, "Faith is the bird that feels the light and sings to greet the dawn while it is still dark. - James S. Hewett
      sigpic
      Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

flying monkeys what else would they be? Just try asking one and listen to their response and if that not monkey sounds I'm the pope.
        Last edited by Monk; 28 Jun 2011, 17:40.
        Gargoyles watch over me...I can hear them snicker in the dark.

Pull the operating handle (which protrudes from the right side of the receiver) smartly to the rear and release it.

Comment

I voted sort of.

My reason being I believe they know something is there, they just don't know what, I don't know why I believe this, It's just something that I can't explain. They don't know what it is they are believing in, but they have a knowledge that they forget soon after birth.

Sorry if that doesn't make amazing sense
          "Otwarty świat; rany zamknięte."
          - Open world; Wounds closed.

Comment

Originally posted by Amelia-Mary View Post
            I voted sort of.

My reason being I believe they know something is there, they just don't know what, I don't know why I believe this, It's just something that I can't explain. They don't know what it is they are believing in, but they have a knowledge that they forget soon after birth.

Sorry if that doesn't make amazing sense
            This is how I felt too, you explained better then I did
            sigpic

Comment

Honestly, I don't think so. Faith is an abstract concept, and like Medusa pointed out they don't have the concept of object permanence until a little bit later in development. I can't trust a being that lacks object permanence to even begin to understand faith.

---------- Post added at 05:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:58 AM ----------

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
              ohh good point. Then can mentally retarded children be religious or Atheists?
              Having been around those with developmental disabilities, it depends. I've met some who are and some who don't have an opinion either way because that thinking aspect never developed.
              my etsy store
              My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
              surrounded by plush, downy things,
              ill prepared, but willing,
              to descend."

Comment

I voted no, because atheism is defined as a conscious lack of belief. For someone to decide to not believe, they first need to be able to fully decide something. I do not think that babies, especially when they are born (because that would imply prenatal thought), are capable of complex enough thought to decide upon laws and attributes of the universe.
                "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." - Khalil Gibran

Comment

^great point
                  sigpic

Comment

babies are living beings, that need to be nurtured. And its the parents, who brought child into religion, not the child itself. Baby cant decide. Baby has only natural instinct to survive and a need to be loved. so babies are undefined, -aka flying monkeys, as much as i read from the description- and not atheist. Atheist chooses to not believe. antichrist is the one who hates Christianity. Skeptic is someone who knows there is something but isn't sure if that is the real deal. and i could go on. So. FLYING MONKEYS.
                    sigpic

Comment

I voted sort of. I don't think anyone is born believing or disbelieving in god/s but some people do have a greater propensity to do so. Some people will be spiritual no matter what, some people will be atheist no matter what.

Comment

Working...
                      X