Re-enactment - the Civil War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re-enactment - the Civil War

Thought I would post this link showing Civil War re-enactment in England - and not the English Civil Wars (we managed to have two!) but the American one.

Anyway, thought some of you might be interested!
    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Re: Re-enactment - the Civil War

Cool!!

I'll have to send the link to my hubby!
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
      Thought I would post this link showing Civil War re-enactment in England - and not the English Civil Wars (we managed to have two!) but the American one.
      That's fantastic, but I wonder why? It's not like the UK lacks historical battles of their own to reenact. I grew up attending Civil War reenactments with my dad, good times.
      "Gardens are not made by singing "Oh, how beautiful," and sitting in the shade." - Rudyard Kipling

Mathbatu: A Canaanite Polytheist's Blog
      Sparrow Wings: A Personal Blog

Comment

That's cool....and quite odd. You don't even see civil war re-enactment much in Canada (at least not on the West Coast), and most people aren't too bothered about it (Canadians tend to be more interested in WWII, and sometimes the War of 1812, because of the burning down the White House thing).

Comment

I just thought it was a bit unusual, so I thought I would share it. As OpenHands said, the UK has its fair share of battles etc., to choose from. For a small island it was always fighting someone or other. I mean, even with just the Hundred Years War (yes, really) there must be plenty of choice.....

Comment

Maybe because a lot of those were a long time ago, and WWI and WWII were too scary and recent?

Comment

There's quite a robust Roman and Medieval re-enactment tradition here. You could be right about WW1 and WW2 though. Mr Penry's grandfather used to be an ARP (Air Raid) Warden. Armed only with a bucket of water and a stirrup pump he was sent out every night to face the wrath of the Luftwaffe on a welsh mountainside.

Elderly people still talk about him standing there, all alone, shaking his first at the sky as the bombers flew low overhead and shouting 'Come down here, Herman you b****** and fight like a man!'

Comment

Originally posted by OpenHands View Post
                That's fantastic, but I wonder why? It's not like the UK lacks historical battles of their own to reenact. I grew up attending Civil War reenactments with my dad, good times.
                I'm not surprised at this at all.
                Many solders that fought in the Civil War were recently from Ireland, Scotland and England, as well as from many other European countries. I know of a few battles that consisted of Irish soldiers fighting for the Union or Confederate army's depending where they had settled after arriving here. Sometimes they found themselves fighting each other head to head. I'm sure at least some of the re-inactors had relatives who fought in that war.
                Gargoyles watch over me...I can hear them snicker in the dark.

Pull the operating handle (which protrudes from the right side of the receiver) smartly to the rear and release it.

Comment

Historical reenactment tends to be more about history in general than one's own history. Different people have different periods of history that they enjoy that transcends national borders...here in the US we have everything from Vikings to pirates to ren faires, to WWI and WWII reenactors (Scott and I have been talking about being Soviets as WWII reenactors)

The Civil War tends to attract world wide re-enactors (even in Canada, some Canadians reenact with northern US units of both sides, but Canada has its own ACW society as well--its probably easy not to notice when one is in a more populated area, you need some space...reenactments tend to be outside of urban areas when there are good rural areas to put them in) because it is at one of the margins of history...in terms of warfare, it is one of the last wars with Napoleonic-style tactics and one of the first with modern weaponry. Plus (as expensive as a ACW kit is for a reenactor), its cheaper than a tank...

...and I think there still is some romanticism about the era--its easier to pretend that the ACW was about glory and honor in some ways, and being that it *is* so far away, its easier to confront the ugliness of it as a war--there was no color photography or film of the Civil War.
                  Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                  sigpic

Comment

Here are the download pages on Archives . org for free e-book of the 10-volume set of collected photographs of the armies, battle sites, and devastation of the U.S. Civil War.

The photographic history of the Civil war (Volume 1) http://www.archive.org/details/photo...chis01lanigoog

The photographic history of the Civil war (Volume 2) http://www.archive.org/details/photographichist02inmill

The photographic history of the Civil war (Volume 3) http://www.archive.org/details/photo...chis23lanigoog

The photographic history of the Civil war (Volume 4) http://www.archive.org/details/photographichist04inmill

The Photographic History of the Civil War ... (Volume 5) http://www.archive.org/details/mille...phic05franrich

The Photographic History of the Civil War ... (Volume 6) http://www.archive.org/details/mille...phic06franrich

The Photographic History of the Civil War ... (Volume 7) http://www.archive.org/details/mille...phic07franrich

The Photographic History of the Civil War ... (Volume 8) http://www.archive.org/details/mille...phic08franrich

The photographic history of the Civil war (Volume 9) http://www.archive.org/details/mille...phic09franrich

The photographic history of the civil war.. (Volume 10) http://www.archive.org/details/mille...phic10franrich
                    Last edited by Ananta Androscoggin; 05 Jul 2011, 05:56.
                    HEY ADMIN

DELETE THIS ACCOUNT

Comment

That's fantastic, but I wonder why? It's not like the UK lacks historical battles of their own to reenact.
                      What an odd question. I re-enact the Iron Age Celts in Upstate NY because *I'm interested in them*, why should the English be any different regarding the ACW? Re-enacting doesn't follow the original geographic boundaries.

---------- Post added at 10:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 AM ----------

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
                      That's cool....and quite odd. You don't even see civil war re-enactment much in Canada (at least not on the West Coast), and most people aren't too bothered about it (Canadians tend to be more interested in WWII, and sometimes the War of 1812, because of the burning down the White House thing).
                      Oh, it's a definitely a coastal thing. There are a number of Canadian ACW groups that come down into Upstate NY for events. Or at least they did until the gas prices started creeping up.
                      Re: Living History Blog
                      Ancient Celtic Clans

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post
                        I'm not surprised at this at all.
                        Many solders that fought in the Civil War were recently from Ireland, Scotland and England, as well as from many other European countries. I know of a few battles that consisted of Irish soldiers fighting for the Union or Confederate army's depending where they had settled after arriving here. Sometimes they found themselves fighting each other head to head. I'm sure at least some of the re-inactors had relatives who fought in that war.
                        Ah, I hadn't considered that for some there might be a familial connection. Very cool, thanks!

---------- Post added at 03:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:54 PM ----------

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                        Historical reenactment tends to be more about history in general than one's own history. Different people have different periods of history that they enjoy that transcends national borders...here in the US we have everything from Vikings to pirates to ren faires, to WWI and WWII reenactors (Scott and I have been talking about being Soviets as WWII reenactors)

The Civil War tends to attract world wide re-enactors (even in Canada, some Canadians reenact with northern US units of both sides, but Canada has its own ACW society as well--its probably easy not to notice when one is in a more populated area, you need some space...reenactments tend to be outside of urban areas when there are good rural areas to put them in) because it is at one of the margins of history...in terms of warfare, it is one of the last wars with Napoleonic-style tactics and one of the first with modern weaponry. Plus (as expensive as a ACW kit is for a reenactor), its cheaper than a tank...

...and I think there still is some romanticism about the era--its easier to pretend that the ACW was about glory and honor in some ways, and being that it *is* so far away, its easier to confront the ugliness of it as a war--there was no color photography or film of the Civil War.
                        Thank you for correcting me, I hadn't considered all of those factors. You and a bunch of others here have some impressive knowledge on this topic.

---------- Post added at 04:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:56 PM ----------

[QUOTE=Gobae;45943]What an odd question. I re-enact the Iron Age Celts in Upstate NY because *I'm interested in them*, why should the English be any different regarding the ACW? Re-enacting doesn't follow the original geographic boundaries.[COLOR="Silver"]

...I'm...sorry for my ignorance? *blinks* Anyway, that's great that you have such an interesting hobby. Are your reenactments part of the SCA?
                        "Gardens are not made by singing "Oh, how beautiful," and sitting in the shade." - Rudyard Kipling

Mathbatu: A Canaanite Polytheist's Blog
                        Sparrow Wings: A Personal Blog

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                          Yeah I'm from Vancouver Island, so lots of open, empty space, but I think there just isn't the interest. Maybe slightly too cut off? Even though the Island is big (there are several cities on it, including the capital of the province) because it's an Island you get this "Island" mentality, and when I'm there I really notice the feeling of "separateness" from the rest of the world. And I doubt the nearby Lower Mainland has much space that isn't currently being used by film studios, resorts or hoards of tourists :P
                          Or maybe the forests are just -too- dense. It's an area known as "temperate rainforest" and the underbrush is crazy thick (and often thorny!).

I think people have the money to do such things...there's a lot of money in coastal BC, and people take up crazy expensive hobbies like hiking, skiing, boating (there are even massive yacht clubs everywhere) but I guess it's just not a great location and/or people are a bit indifferent.

I think it's really cool though! The costumes are amazing. People do a lot of Gold Rush type stuff and there's a provincially supported theater group that does reenactments of Queen Victoria's reign (my friend used to play young Victoria) but that just seems kind of boring (but maybe because I'm used to it).

I could see it working out in Ontario or Quebec though. Or the Prairies in the summer! I think also because it's closer to that side of the US....Back home it's also just really far away and you kind of get a feeling sometimes that the West is almost its own country.

Comment

...I'm...sorry for my ignorance? *blinks* Anyway, that's great that you have such an interesting hobby. Are your reenactments part of the SCA?
                            Sorry if I came off sounding harsh, that was not my intent.

Yes, re-enacting and going further by doing "experimental archaeology" is a fantastic hobby. It's greatly increased my understanding of the Iron Age Celts in ways that just aren't possible by reading about them in a book.

No, we're not part of the SCA. The SCA is a quasi-Medieval group and the Medieval era happens roughly 800-1200 years after the era we portray. Also the SCA's rules and structure are only loosely based in history. In short, the SCA is not conducive to doing the living history and research of the Iron Age Celts.
                            Last edited by Gobae; 05 Jul 2011, 08:54.
                            Re: Living History Blog
                            Ancient Celtic Clans

Comment

That's pretty cool! There are lots of groups like that in Europe, and also various periods up to the Renaissance.

Comment

Working...
                              X