This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Movies/Shows you liked better than the book

Usually, the book is better. But sometimes, I find that there's a really good plot or concept there but the actual writing is pretty bad. My pics are:

-Interview with a Vampire

The movie is WAY better in my opinion. The characters are just a lot more captivating. I find book Lestat to actually be rather flat (though granted, I haven't read any of the other Vampire Chronicles books, and I don't think I should have to...if you can't properly develop your character with in the book, you've lost me). I also find Anne Rice's writing to be a little awkward. I can see what she's trying to do, but she hasn't quite achieved it in my opinion.

True Blood/Sookie Stackhouse

*WARNING* I AM POSTING SPOILERS IN HERE. If you want to read the book, or want to see the first three seasons of the show and haven't, STOP READING NOW!

These books are TERRIBLE! I read three of them and it's hours of my life I'll never, ever get back. And I'm a little angry that it took me three books to give up. I just like the show so much and really felt that there must be -something- to the books, but nope. In the show, Sookie isn't the most developed character, but HBO Sookie is miles deeper than book Sookie. But the worst part is, that not only is book Sookie pretty flat, but also the books take place in first person, so you lose any perspective from any other character. You don't get much of what goes on with Sam, or Eric, or even Bill. Some of the characters don't even exist....Lafayette is only mentioned once, as the body in the car in the second book (the one that, in the show, was the exorcist woman), Jessica was never created, etc. BORING. And only like half the plot is there. Now, books are long, and there are only 13 episodes of each season of True Blood. There -should- be enough material in there to make a season of a show, but since half of it is shallow babble (which doesn't even manage to be descriptive...the show also has a much better sense of setting) I can see why the shows creators had to just make a lot of stuff up.

-Vanity Fair (the recent interpretation)

*SPOILER ALERT*
    I just like that she changed the ending to turn out more favourably and didn't demonize Becky Sharp. I think Thackeray really hated women.

Re: Movies/Shows you liked better than the book

The very two that came to mind when I read the subject are the first two that you posted!

Interview was a good book but a much better movie - maybe just because I saw the movie before I read the book. I love Rice's attention to detail but sometimes she runs a story into the ground with it!

The Sookie Stackhouse novels. Are. AWFUL. I never made it through the first book. I actually believe it was about three times worse than Twilight. The show is actually pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by Raphaeline View Post
      The very two that came to mind when I read the subject are the first two that you posted!

Interview was a good book but a much better movie - maybe just because I saw the movie before I read the book. I love Rice's attention to detail but sometimes she runs a story into the ground with it!
      Yeah my thoughts exactly. It's not a terrible book or anything and she's not a bad writer, it's just more developed as a movie I think. The characters captivated me a lot more (and in a much shorter period of time).

The Sookie Stackhouse novels. Are. AWFUL. I never made it through the first book. I actually believe it was about three times worse than Twilight. The show is actually pretty good.
      I'm glad someone else thinks so. I run into this a lot of this a lot with fans of vampire books (which I also am, btw!) Some people really like them, and hate on the show for changing things, and I'm like "REALLY?" I love the show though. Only 2 episodes into Season 4 and I'm already addicted to it like it's crack.
      Last edited by DanieMarie; 05 Jul 2011, 09:59.

Comment

Motorcycles Diaries. I own both the book and the movie, and I lovelovelove the movie way more. It's just more dramatic, and keeps my interest much longer.
        “The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.” – John Muir

Mostly art.

Comment

Hunt for the Red October.

Tom Clancy in general...though the hubby would HIGHLY disagree with me!
          “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
          ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
          ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

The old Judy Garland Wizard of Oz. The books are really strange. That movie is pure magic to me though. I could watch it a hundred times.
            Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Probably going to get shot for this one but.... Lord of the Rings. I loved the films but can't seem to get through the books at all.
              http://thefeministpagan.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

I can totally understand that. I know loads of people who feel the same way. And I love the books, but I wonder how much of that love is pure nostalgia (I read them when I was 13). They kind of read like the Bible at times. The movies are wonderful.

I'm going to take a stab in the same grain and go with Harry Potter. I think they're great books but they don't really appeal to me....they're just written for a much younger audience. Which is fine, but I'd prefer to watch the movies, which have a more "all ages" feel to them. Wonderful books for kids though!

A lot of my friends like the movies of Jane Austen books a lot better, and I can understand why but I don't feel her writing is as tedious as other books written at that time and I really enjoy them. I listen to Pride and Prejudice, Emma, and Sense and Sensibility as audio books when i go to sleep and they have a big soft spot in my heart. But I can understand why one might not enjoy them and prefer the movie (and the movie versions of Sense and Sensibility and Pride and Prejudice are quite good!)

Comment

Originally posted by shadow1982 View Post
                  Probably going to get shot for this one but.... Lord of the Rings. I loved the films but can't seem to get through the books at all.
                  Oh heck no, I was just going to post something similar. I did like the books and that's what got me to watch the movie and I said, "I wasted 3 months reading those books all those years ago this is MUCH better!"

Comment

I thought the DaVinci Code movie was fairly watchable, but the book didn't contain anything that a movie didn't provide. It was pretty "blah" but it worked well as a movie.

Comment

Practical Magic! I didn't like the book all that much but of course I adore the movie.

Comment

Originally posted by shadow1982 View Post
                        *AIMS GUN AND FIRES*

Nah, the film is damn good! It does justice to the books. X
                        "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

https://www.facebook.com/KimberlyHagenART

Comment

The Passion of the Christ.
                          Do they not, then, ponder about the Qur‘an? Had it been from someone other than Allah, they would have found in it much discrepancy. [4:82]

Comment

Originally posted by Dumuzi View Post
                            The Passion of the Christ.
                            Lol.
                            ten characters my ass
                            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

None so far or I should say not many,as most of the book's I read rarely make it to the screen. Though I have to admit The Lord of the Rings trilogy was nicely done. I do like most of Tom Clancy's work in print but I watched Hunt for Red October(Liked it) but never read that particular book because of this.
                              Gargoyles watch over me...I can hear them snicker in the dark.

Pull the operating handle (which protrudes from the right side of the receiver) smartly to the rear and release it.

Comment

Working...
                              X