This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What the heck am I?

I've been looking into paganism for the past two years. In my heart, I know I am a pagan, but the question is: What kind of pagan am I? I would like to follow a "solid" path or tradition. I don't just want to play "make believe" and make things up for myself. I guess what I'm saying is that I don't really want to be eclectic. I want something more real, more established, I guess. I received some books about Wicca two years ago and have been studying them ever since. But I have some problems with Wicca: I don't like how there is a god and goddess that are basically like yin and yang, or two parts of a whole, and they are worshipped as such. I also don't like how in Wicca, every god in every culture/pagan religion is considered as one god (the same for the goddess). For example: Odin/Ra/Zeus are all the same god and are called "the" god in ritual. I don't like that idea. I believe that every deity is seperate and different.
    I have also looked into Asatru, but the main problem I have with it is the white supremacist side of it. And yes, I do know that only a small group of Asatruars are racist bigots, but I still would not like to have that in the back of my mind. Also, I would like to honor both the Celtic and Norse pantheons, not just Norse, as I'm pretty sure my ancestors came from both Celtic and Norse areas, and both paths intrigue me.
    Anyway, my beliefs are also pretty messy. They don't seem to fall into place anywhere. So here's the list of my beliefs: 1) I believe in some sort of cosmic power that is greater than even the gods. 2) I believe in spirits, fairies, and other creatures. 3)I believe in auras, and I can feel them. 4) I think that maybe the gods in every culture were once people who became gods, appointed by the greater, cosmic power. 5) I believe that things in nature represent the gods. 6) I have a connection/reverence for nature.
    I would like to be able to do rituals to honor specific gods. For example: If I need help with inspiration, I would like to be able to do a ritual just to Odin for help.
    So...what do you think I am or should be? Guidance/opinions welcome!

Re: What the heck am I?

Have you looked into the Correllian Tradition? You can learn more about it at WitchSchool.com. From what I gather it's a mixture of several different traditions rolled into one structured tradition. According to the Correllians I've read and listened to you can petition any God/dess you want but they give you a structure or framework to work within.
    )O( Brightest Blessings )O(
    )O( Blessed Be )O(
    Raven Rin

My Blog
    Raven Rin's Pagan Nest
    The Adventures and Home of a Pagan Mother
    http://ravenrinspagannest.blogspot.com/

Comment

Interesting. I've never heard of the Correllian Tradition before. Thanks for the reply and the suggestion! I love to expand my "witchy" knowledge. xD

Comment

Don't give yourself too many demands at this stage. Many people find they follow a slightly eclectic path while they are searching for the spirituality that best suits them, and there's nothing wrong with that. Often we don't choose a specific path anyway - it chooses us. I know mine did.
        www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

First off...I have to second what Mrs. P said. I generally give out this advice to anyone newly established as a Pagan, or searching for a path.

Second of all, the Wicca you are describing is more Eclectic Wicca than *all* Wicca. The Lord and Lady in more traditional "denominations" (because traditional traditions was just to redundant) *are* specific deities, not some global catch-all. I think it would be better described that while many Wiccans *do* believe in a duotheistic soft-polytheism, that it is not a tenant of Wicca overall. Also, while there are both Celtic and Norse reconstructionist traditions, there are also people that just honor those gods in a way that is mutually appealing to both them and the gods...and the establishment of such a practice goes back to my first piece of advice...
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

Well... I don't know of any religions that suit that description of what you want. I myself am a Solitary Wiccan, so far, I like it, my religion is alot about joy, peace and nature. Using magic is not the ONLY thing Wicca is about. If ask around, ask yoour friends what they are, if you can, decide on a religion that your friends also are, so you don't have to be alone.
            There are SOOOO many religions out there, Its just so hard to pick the right one for yourself. DO NOT get caught up in a cult. Don't force yourself upon a religion you don't agree with, just because its the only "good" one you can find. Choose wisely...

Comment

Working...
            X