Sources on Ancient Druidry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sources on Ancient Druidry

I'm placing this here because it is an academic question, but if someone thinks it should go into the druidry/celtic pages, go ahead and replace it.

I was wondering if anyone knew of any good academic sources on ancient druidry or the Celts. Not just religiously, but culturally as well. Things from people who have studied what evidence that we do have of them and tried to accurately depicts that information. Or even if just the authors, if they have multiple works that I could look into.

I've studied Buddhist scripture for the last six months. I'm thinking I'm ready to move on to a different culture, but I want to find academic sources, not just online babble that may or may not be accurate.
    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Re: Sources on Ancient Druidry

There are a couple books on the Celts and on Druids by Peter Beresford (sp?) Ellis, Miranda Green and also by Ronald Hutton (the guy that wrote Triumph of the Moon), I've read books by all of them, but not all they have written, and I would recommend them.
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

Thanks thal!

ETA: Triumph of the Moon is actually on my wish list right now.
      Last edited by Shahaku; 03 Aug 2011, 17:58.
      We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
      It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
      Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.

Comment

Has anyone read Leslie Ellen Jones? I've read some good reveiws for one of her books, but they are purely academic and I'd also like something thats easily readable.

Comment

Hutton wrote a book specifically about Druids as well: Witches, Druids and King Arthur (2003) and Blood and Mistletoe: The History of the Druids in Britain (2009)
          I'm still part-way through two of his other books, but I know he is considered a thoroughly reliable scholar.

Comment

Working...
          X