Thread: Sources on Ancient Druidry

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Witch
    Phrase
    Move forward with purpose. -Sherillyn Kenyon

Sources on Ancient Druidry

I'm placing this here because it is an academic question, but if someone thinks it should go into the druidry/celtic pages, go ahead and replace it.

I was wondering if anyone knew of any good academic sources on ancient druidry or the Celts. Not just religiously, but culturally as well. Things from people who have studied what evidence that we do have of them and tried to accurately depicts that information. Or even if just the authors, if they have multiple works that I could look into.

I've studied Buddhist scripture for the last six months. I'm thinking I'm ready to move on to a different culture, but I want to find academic sources, not just online babble that may or may not be accurate.
    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Re: Sources on Ancient Druidry

There are a couple books on the Celts and on Druids by Peter Beresford (sp?) Ellis, Miranda Green and also by Ronald Hutton (the guy that wrote Triumph of the Moon), I've read books by all of them, but not all they have written, and I would recommend them.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Witch
    Phrase

Thanks thal!

ETA: Triumph of the Moon is actually on my wish list right now.
    Last edited by Shahaku; 03 Aug 2011 at 17:58.
    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Witch
    Phrase

Has anyone read Leslie Ellen Jones? I've read some good reveiws for one of her books, but they are purely academic and I'd also like something thats easily readable.

Dec 2011
    Religion
    Christian

Hutton wrote a book specifically about Druids as well: Witches, Druids and King Arthur (2003) and Blood and Mistletoe: The History of the Druids in Britain (2009)
    I'm still part-way through two of his other books, but I know he is considered a thoroughly reliable scholar.