Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RADIOACTIVE ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE! (the survival thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RADIOACTIVE ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE! (the survival thread)

There are actually American bases all over Europe, but Germany, despite the cold war, is a convenient location because it's very centrally located.

But anyway don't want to hijack the thread....they're more equipped than our army (we weren't even allowed to have much of one until after the cold war....WWII conditions). But not really here in Berlin anymore. I think I'd have better luck with embassies, museums and the synagogues lol.

In the event of a zombie apocalypse Berlin is pretty inconvenient I think...but if it were just an apocalypse (no zombies) it probably couldn't be any better. Both for the same reasons. it's land-locked and well outfitted socially, which for zombies is probably pretty bad, but if it was just a disaster that ended the world it's probably a good thing, and if you can go outside to get things (and no zombies attacking you) there are so many resources.

Though, I know how to live off the land better back home in Canada, because that's where I learned survival skills. I know the plants and things a bit better. But the disadvantage there is that it's very, very damp.

LOL this is such a fun thread....gets you thinking!

Comment

I'm pretty much set, aside from survival food.

However, I'd recommend that you all lay in a supply of firearms and ammunition.

I recommend an SKS for emergencies. A couple of years ago you could get these for around $80 in pretty much mint condition, but, currently, they are running several hundred (but you can still find good deals). The SKS is a semi-automatic with a 20 round clip, sturdy and about as reliable as most semi-autos (they tend to malfunction & jam if they get dirty), reasonably accurate, and quick - which you'll need. The ammo for these (7.62 x 39) is easy to get - it's the most common ammo on the face of the Earth because it's still used for AK's.

For hunting, get a rifle that uses locally available ammunition (in the U.S., that would be 30-06 or 7.62 NATO). Or pick up a cheap Russian M44 carbine and buy a butt load of surplus ammo (7.62 x 54R) in sealed tins (spam cans). The rifle costs around $100, and a spam can of ammo runs around $80 for 440 rounds. (Military surplus ammo isn't ideal for hunting because it's full metal jacket, but it will do if your aim is reasonably good).

I'd also suggest learning to use a short bow because arrows are a lot easier to make with simple tools than are center fire rounds. If it goes on for long, you'll need something that you can restock out of your own stores.

Water isn't much of a problem here in Michigan - the bigger problem is getting out of the water, but water purification equipment is a must, unless you really like sitting around and waiting for water to boil. You won't be much good to anybody, including yourself, if you got a bad case of the runs.

I'd also suggest a largish dog. Treat it half way decent, and you couldn't ask for a better helper - nobody watches your back like a dog! And, although this is terrible to think about, if things get desperate, you can eat the dog.

And finally, learn to not be a picky eater. If the shit hits the fan, you'll have to put things in your mouth that would normally make you gag just to think about eating. Learn, in advance, what is edible in your environment and what isn't. Not what's good to eat, but what is edible...
      Last edited by B. de Corbin; 04 Aug 2011, 13:29. Reason: sorry! wrong number!
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Anyone know how to make a bow, for those of us who can't legally buy firearms (in my case can't at all...not a hunting association member and joining one costs a lot of money and involves taking a course)? Also can't buy bows....but could make one if needed. Could be helpful for hunting!

Also, how to make a spear? You need those to hunt boar...

Comment

Try a blowgun - cheap and very, very effective. You'll also want poison for the darts... don't inhale!

If you want to make a spear, check out the thread on working with bone - it's the easiest way to go because it's much easier to work bone than flaking flint or forging metal. You might want to look into an atlatl (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlatl). They are very, very easy to make and increase the effectiveness of a spear many times over.

A simple bow (like those used by the Native Americans) is actually very easy to make. The only tools you really need are an axe (to chop the rough bow out of a block without cutting the grain) and something to scrape with - a piece of glass, flint, or a spokeshave.

If you're interested in things like this, I highly recommend The Backwoodsman Magazine. Great articles, cool ideas on getting by in the backcountry (http://www.backwoodsmanmag.com/). Not really a survivalist magazine, but more devoted to old timey survival skills, like for homesteaders.

---------- Post added at 07:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:07 PM ----------

P.S. on your boarspear, don't forget to put a rock solid crossbar halfway down the shaft.
          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I don't necessarily think guns are necessary for zombie killing. Anything that can cause blunt force trauma to the head would be sufficient. Including big-ass rocks, cans of Spam and decent aim. Slingshots & bolos can be made out of almost anything in the environment.

The only reason you might absolutely, positively need guns is because of other living humans who seek to take advantage of their fellow people. Which is why my first instinct is to get out of densely populated areas. Besides, in a city you've always got a cadre of hidden wildlife, like feral cats, rats & other rodents, birds, foxes, etc. that may also end up potentially infected, and you can't always see them coming. The urban wildlife stays hidden for survival, but zombiefication would probably make them bolder in their search for food. If you get up into the Yukon or Northwest Territories, the wildlife is less likely to have been exposed to infectious agents.
            The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

I'm fat. So I'm probably gonna get bitten right off the bat. So...I'm digging out my address book and making cross country visits to you guys....

grbrlrlrbrjhrprrlrlrlarrrrgggg
              Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
                I don't necessarily think guns are necessary for zombie killing. Anything that can cause blunt force trauma to the head would be sufficient. Including big-ass rocks, cans of Spam and decent aim. Slingshots & bolos can be made out of almost anything in the environment.

The only reason you might absolutely, positively need guns is because of other living humans who seek to take advantage of their fellow people. Which is why my first instinct is to get out of densely populated areas. Besides, in a city you've always got a cadre of hidden wildlife, like feral cats, rats & other rodents, birds, foxes, etc. that may also end up potentially infected, and you can't always see them coming. The urban wildlife stays hidden for survival, but zombiefication would probably make them bolder in their search for food. If you get up into the Yukon or Northwest Territories, the wildlife is less likely to have been exposed to infectious agents.

LOL in Shaun of the Dead they use garden tools. It's set in the UK and they don't have guns lol.

Comment

I just finished watching Shaun Of The Dead, and i'd do what he did, only I wouldn't turn on the poker machine thing and attract zombies!!

Comment

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
                    When possible, I'd prefer to kill a zombie with a gun. Aside from the fact it might make a bit of noise that may or may not attract unwanted attention, I'd prefer to have as much distance from potentially-infectious blood as possible, and I don't know if I have the strength or stamina to wield a melee weapon effectively or for very long.

Comment

Originally posted by Raphaeline View Post
                      When possible, I'd prefer to kill a zombie with a gun. Aside from the fact it might make a bit of noise that may or may not attract unwanted attention, I'd prefer to have as much distance from potentially-infectious blood as possible, and I don't know if I have the strength or stamina to wield a melee weapon effectively or for very long.
                      When you consider the possibility of infection from blood spatter as well as from bites and scratches, a melee weapon is suicide.

Comment

Mr Penry has almost finished his ballista.
                        www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
                          Mr Penry has almost finished his ballista.
                          I want to see it!

One of my dreams has been to build a small ballista...

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                            I want to see it!

One of my dreams has been to build a small ballista...
                            The trouble with Mr Penry is that he is almost certain to use it one dark night, and here in the UK we tend to live VERY close to our neighbours. None of them is one speaking terms with us at the moment anyway.... Mrs Anubis Evans says (to anyone who will listen) that the neighbourhood went to hell in a handcart when we moved in over ten years ago, while Mr Sarcophagus Jones blames my dogs for barking at him as he drove down the street (they can't stand the noise of bottom gear) and made him crash into his garage wall and demolish it. If I get a half tidy photo I shall post it here for you.
                            If I don't, and you hear of a ballista incident in Wales, UK, well, you read it here first....

Not far from us, at Caerphilly Castle, they have a selection of medieval weaponry that I am sure you would love, Corbin:
                            Last edited by Tylluan Penry; 06 Aug 2011, 09:34. Reason: added link (very badly)
                            www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

It's a ballista, it has to be used. That's part of the fun.

Admittedly I will say this about just about anything that shoots stuff at tolerable speed or causes large loud lightshows. The only exceptions being things like nukes where finding safe points to play with the new toy might be exceedingly difficult. A ballista, though, nah that has to be fired. You just need to find a way not to hit the neighbors or their homes with it. People have a tendency to get cranky about having medieval artillery used against them, not entirely sure why.
                              life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                                People have a tendency to get cranky about having medieval artillery used against them, not entirely sure why.
                                LOL - yeah... I just can't understand some people...

---------- Post added at 03:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:44 PM ----------

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
                                If I get a half tidy photo I shall post it here for you.
                                If I don't, and you hear of a ballista incident in Wales, UK, well, you read it here first....

Not far from us, at Caerphilly Castle, they have a selection of medieval weaponry that I am sure you would love, Corbin:
                                http://www.castlewales.com/trebucht.html
                                I would love both of those things - in my fantasies, I'm not a knight on horseback, I'm just a lowly military engineer... suites my skills and interest better...

Maybe Mr. Penry could launch flaming pumpikins (Pagan Fire - loosely related to Greek Fire) on the holidays. That would be a big hit with the kids, at least. And kids tend to be more fun than uptight adults, anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                X