Whats in Season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whats in Season?

I am in paw paw paradise! I just got foraging permission (and a volunteer application) for the Chesapeake Arboretums grounds...and they have figs, pecans, chestnut...

...plus, its shrimping season!! And the farmers market has corn, tomatoes, squash, peppers, melon, peaches, apples, pears, plums, etc...

What is good where you are?
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Re: Whats in Season?

We're just getting in our new potatoes here. The big baker potatoes aren't until Sept-Oct, but everyone's gardens are full of little thin-skinned ones that are soooo good!

Growing season is too short for tomatoes and the like normally, but raspberries and huckleberries are starting to come in, too.
    Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

The Farmers' Market here has peaches, cucumbers, okra, tomatoes, potatoes, corn, onions, raspberries, blackberries and I forget what all else! Love it.
      sigpic
      Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

...ah, we are out of blackberries now, those were last month here...

I *did* get a monster sweet potato last week though...I guess it makes up for it
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
          ...ah, we are out of blackberries now, those were last month here...

I *did* get a monster sweet potato last week though...I guess it makes up for it
          Cool! I need to get one of those to share with my African Grey parrot soon. The people at my Farmers' Market save me the big, tough okra for him (I hate the stuff myself). It originated in Africa and is a great natural food for him. Sweet potatoes are also good for him.
          Part of what I forgot above is peppers (bell and hot) zucchini, carrots, and eggplant.
          sigpic

Comment

We have Sloe berries around here, a few blackberries, and some apples. To be honest anything that we do get usually gets taken by tourists so us locals rarely see any of it.
            "Otwarty świat; rany zamknięte."
            - Open world; Wounds closed.

Comment

Plums, pears.... blackberries. And soon there will be mushrooms too. And maybe - if I get lucky - some chestnuts.
              www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

raspberries, blackberries, red currants, plums, chantarelle mushrooms, tomatoes, cucumbers and pears are just starting. Fall squash also seems to be a bit early this year, probably due to our tremendously crappy weather, whereas stuff that's supposed to be in season (should be more tomatoes and zucchini and stuff) is kind of weak.

Comment

Farmers here have said they had trouble w/cucumbers & tomatoes this summer. We had some heavy rains, followed by a long hot dry spell.
                  sigpic

Comment

Brambles and apples x
                    "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

https://www.facebook.com/KimberlyHagenART

Comment

FantasyWitch, what do you mean by brambles? Berries like raspberries and blackberries?
                      Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

The early citrus is hanging from the trees and citrus prices are already starting to drop some.

Comment

The roadside huckleberry sellers are out...
                          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Working...
                          X