Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats in Season?

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Whats in Season?

I am in paw paw paradise! I just got foraging permission (and a volunteer application) for the Chesapeake Arboretums grounds...and they have figs, pecans, chestnut...

...plus, its shrimping season!! And the farmers market has corn, tomatoes, squash, peppers, melon, peaches, apples, pears, plums, etc...

What is good where you are?
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Jun 2007
    Religion
    Norse Something-or-Other
    Phrase
    Nice is not the same as good.

Re: Whats in Season?

We're just getting in our new potatoes here. The big baker potatoes aren't until Sept-Oct, but everyone's gardens are full of little thin-skinned ones that are soooo good!

Growing season is too short for tomatoes and the like normally, but raspberries and huckleberries are starting to come in, too.

Dec 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan/Stregheria

The Farmers' Market here has peaches, cucumbers, okra, tomatoes, potatoes, corn, onions, raspberries, blackberries and I forget what all else! Love it.

Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

...ah, we are out of blackberries now, those were last month here...

I *did* get a monster sweet potato last week though...I guess it makes up for it
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Dec 2010
    Religion

Quote Originally Posted by thalassa View Post
    ...ah, we are out of blackberries now, those were last month here...

I *did* get a monster sweet potato last week though...I guess it makes up for it
    Cool! I need to get one of those to share with my African Grey parrot soon. The people at my Farmers' Market save me the big, tough okra for him (I hate the stuff myself). It originated in Africa and is a great natural food for him. Sweet potatoes are also good for him.
    Part of what I forgot above is peppers (bell and hot) zucchini, carrots, and eggplant.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Celtic Pagan
    Phrase
    That was fun. Lets never do that again.

We have Sloe berries around here, a few blackberries, and some apples. To be honest anything that we do get usually gets taken by tourists so us locals rarely see any of it.
    "Otwarty świat; rany zamknięte."
    - Open world; Wounds closed.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    solitary pagan witch with a strong interest in Anglo Saxons
    Phrase
    Phantom Turnips never die. They just get stewed occasionally....

Plums, pears.... blackberries. And soon there will be mushrooms too. And maybe - if I get lucky - some chestnuts.
    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

lady sings the blues DanieMarie's Avatar
    Oct 2009
    Religion
    Solitary Pagan

raspberries, blackberries, red currants, plums, chantarelle mushrooms, tomatoes, cucumbers and pears are just starting. Fall squash also seems to be a bit early this year, probably due to our tremendously crappy weather, whereas stuff that's supposed to be in season (should be more tomatoes and zucchini and stuff) is kind of weak.

Dec 2010
    Religion

Farmers here have said they had trouble w/cucumbers & tomatoes this summer. We had some heavy rains, followed by a long hot dry spell.

May 2006
    Religion
    Atheist

Brambles and apples x
    "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

https://www.facebook.com/KimberlyHagenART