Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, where am i gonna be during the Ragnarok?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, where am i gonna be during the Ragnarok?

Long time no post!

Now from what i learn, Helaheim comes in 2 levels, the one where Hela serves mead and bore to those who lead a good life and died of old age or sickness. and then theres the lower levels for all the oath breakers and murderers.

Now im no warrior, so i expect to be going to the relaxed meadhall unlike the great warriors who go to Valhalla. What does this mean for me in Ragnarok? From what i see ill be pulled into Service by Loki to fight the Gods.

And if thats how it will be, then so be it. everything happens for a reason and im sure the Norns have a path in mind for me.

And another thing, what happens after that? i learnt tonight that when the new world is born, there will be three heavens.

Gimle - heaven for the deserving

Sindri - heaven for the virtuous

Brimir - heaven for alcoholics

Who will be going to these? Will the Aesir and Vanir be taking a well deserved breaks in these heavens? Will i be there aswell sitting in Sindri with a horn of mead, going to the warrior besides me "No wonder you got to Valhalla, your damned good with that sword!"?

Questions! i has Many! thanks in advance!

Re: So, where am i gonna be during the Ragnarok?

Ragnarok already happened..... thousands of years ago.

Comment

Wh-.. S-... Huh!?

Comment

my etsy store
        My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
        surrounded by plush, downy things,
        ill prepared, but willing,
        to descend."

Comment

Originally posted by calcite View Post
          Considering the source material is only 1000-1500 years old, I sort of doubt it's already happened, unless someone managed to miss it. Also taking into consideration what Ragnarok entails, I kind of doubt that would have gone unnoticed.

As for your question Stoph, it's definitely an interesting one. I honestly haven't put too much study into the post-ragnarok fate of humanity. I hadn't heard Gimle, Sindri and Brimir described quite in that way before; how I always thought of them was as three different realms and halls that could be freely traveled between, rather than a method of categorization. I may need to re-read Gylfaginning, though, as it's been a while.
          "Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others."
          -Thomas Jefferson

Let a man never stir on his road a step
          without his weapons of war;
          for unsure is the knowing when the need shall arise
          of a spear on the way without.
          -

Comment

Just to throw in another opinion...I think that Ragnarok is one of those things that was tossed into the mythos by the shift to Christianity. Just like some source material written by Christian monks tries to imply that it's all really Troy, I think the idea of Ragnarok was simply opening things up to say, "All the old gods died...then a SHINY NEW god appeared!"
            Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Originally posted by Thjoth View Post
              As for your question Stoph, it's definitely an interesting one. I honestly haven't put too much study into the post-ragnarok fate of humanity. I hadn't heard Gimle, Sindri and Brimir described quite in that way before; how I always thought of them was as three different realms and halls that could be freely traveled between, rather than a method of categorization. I may need to re-read Gylfaginning, though, as it's been a while.

My source is the following site: http://www.thorshof.org/ragnar.htm

I read that and came right here to see what it all ment :-p

it does have the footnote of:
              Part of this is obviously Christian, which leaves the authenticity of the Balder myth under question. Sun's daughter is known in other European myths, either the morning star (not visible in arctic?) or the rebirth of the sun at midwinter.

as DesertRose has pointed out

Comment

Originally posted by DeseretRose View Post
                Just to throw in another opinion...I think that Ragnarok is one of those things that was tossed into the mythos by the shift to Christianity. Just like some source material written by Christian monks tries to imply that it's all really Troy, I think the idea of Ragnarok was simply opening things up to say, "All the old gods died...then a SHINY NEW god appeared!"
                You are for me on the money...
                Gunnarr Sandisson
                "A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be." Albert Einstein
                Five Boroughs Hearth

Comment

Originally posted by DeseretRose View Post
                  This however does not explain why the Anglo-Saxon peoples never had a concept of Ragnarok (or at least one has never been found), when they were Christianised MUCH earlier.
                  "The Germans do not think it in keeping with the divine majesty to confine gods within walls or to portray them in the likeness of any human countenance. Their holy places are woods and groves, and they apply the names of deities to that hidden presence which is seen only by the eye of reverence." (Tacitus, `Germania', 9)

Comment

Originally posted by Ravenix View Post
                    This however does not explain why the Anglo-Saxon peoples never had a concept of Ragnarok (or at least one has never been found), when they were Christianised MUCH earlier.
                    The concept of Ragnarok is a difficult thing for some to understand, that is because it is Snorri's work, his translation as 'Twilight of the Gods' has been a factor as it was adopted over the ON translation of 'Final destiny of the gods.
                    The statement that this really was Snorris worldview, is correct in my opinion, not the understood view our ancestors would have held. Snorri by accident has confused the matter, Snorris christian approach to eschatology has been a core problem to all trying to understand this very important aspect of our ancestral veneration. What there appraoch to eschatology was is unknown.

As you state there is nothing in Anglo Saxon texts, but that is not the problem since most adherents to an Anglo-Saxon approach draw off Scandanavian texts, there is the problem there is only one source to validate that view and it is over 200 years into christianity as the main religion of Iceland when Snorri wrote it down.
                    Gunnarr Sandisson
                    "A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be." Albert Einstein
                    Five Boroughs Hearth

Comment

Viktor Rydberg had some interesting ideas about Ragnarok..

He had it figured that Snorri's account of Yggdrasil ( among other things ) and the location of it's roots was wrong. That they are all in the Underworld called Hel, and that Hel is Urd not Loki's daughter as Snorri told it, his reasoning being that why would Loki's daughter be given such an honour with her brothers being the Fenris Wolf and the Midgard Serpent..and a bunch of other good reasons. But, to stay focused..That Lif and Lifthrasir don't hide up in the tree but are in Hel with Balder learning his teachings as he is to be their head god when Hel rises up out from under the sea when Ragnarok is over..

Later,
                      -Lyfing

Comment

Originally posted by calcite View Post
                        Well I am wondering.If it is already happened, then whom do you worship? But honestly speaking, I have no idea about the neo-pagan movement.I am from Bangladesh and, in Indian subcontinent ,we consider Hindus as pagan. But their gods are immortal.I knew a little about Ragnarok from wikipedia ( i think it is not enough to learn your ways!), and as much as I can remember, I read there that, all Norse gods will die in this battle Ragnarok.Sounds the gods are actually advanced human race, though it is not bad idea.

PS. I apologize because English is not my first language and I am not good in it , so if anyone will not understand my message, please let me know, I will try my best to make it more clear.
                        peace

Sadik

Comment

Ragnarok is not the only event in ancient mythologies where there was a battle in which most of the deities of a pantheon were destroyed. Assyrian texts tell of a battle in which one god, Marduk, becomes "God over all gods." In Greek mythology, Zeus overthrows the Titans and takes control of a new pantheon. It's not necessarily about new religion changing the details, but probably a reflection of the changing of the guards, so to speak. A new order, generation, taking over with their differing perspectives. Which becomes reflected in the stories that are passed on.

Religion usually evolves parallel to culture. When a new outlook develops (scientific revelation, for instance), religion tends to find ways to reconcile with it by changing stories to match it or by changing how stories are interpreted.
                          Last edited by babyfyrefly; 01 Dec 2011, 14:50.

Comment

Comment

I do not use the modern term of Odinism, but accept some do. Apart from Snorri where else does this amazing final battle gain a mention in any other passed down folklore, and so on to three other worlds again where do these three worlds gain a mention in any other lore apart from Snorri, and what are they called, I am interested in this aspect.

A lot of people will not be aware of the Odin Brotherhood, would you care to elaborate who they are and what they are about.
                              Gunnarr Sandisson
                              Five Boroughs Hearth

Comment

Working...
                              X