Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So, where am i gonna be during the Ragnarok?

Lyfing

Re: So, where am i gonna be during the Ragnarok?

Viktor Rydberg had some interesting ideas about Ragnarok..

He had it figured that Snorri's account of Yggdrasil ( among other things ) and the location of it's roots was wrong. That they are all in the Underworld called Hel, and that Hel is Urd not Loki's daughter as Snorri told it, his reasoning being that why would Loki's daughter be given such an honour with her brothers being the Fenris Wolf and the Midgard Serpent..and a bunch of other good reasons. But, to stay focused..That Lif and Lifthrasir don't hide up in the tree but are in Hel with Balder learning his teachings as he is to be their head god when Hel rises up out from under the sea when Ragnarok is over..

Later,
    -Lyfing

Sadik Ahmed

Question Re: So, where am i gonna be during the Ragnarok?

Quote Originally Posted by calcite View Post
    Ragnarok already happened..... thousands of years ago.
    Well I am wondering.If it is already happened, then whom do you worship? But honestly speaking, I have no idea about the neo-pagan movement.I am from Bangladesh and, in Indian subcontinent ,we consider Hindus as pagan. But their gods are immortal.I knew a little about Ragnarok from wikipedia ( i think it is not enough to learn your ways!), and as much as I can remember, I read there that, all Norse gods will die in this battle Ragnarok.Sounds the gods are actually advanced human race, though it is not bad idea.

PS. I apologize because English is not my first language and I am not good in it , so if anyone will not understand my message, please let me know, I will try my best to make it more clear.
    peace

Sadik

Oct 2011
    Religion
    eclectic
    Phrase
    "Nothing in the world is free" is not totally true. You can get a ton of sarcasm if you ask for it.

Ragnarok is not the only event in ancient mythologies where there was a battle in which most of the deities of a pantheon were destroyed. Assyrian texts tell of a battle in which one god, Marduk, becomes "God over all gods." In Greek mythology, Zeus overthrows the Titans and takes control of a new pantheon. It's not necessarily about new religion changing the details, but probably a reflection of the changing of the guards, so to speak. A new order, generation, taking over with their differing perspectives. Which becomes reflected in the stories that are passed on.

Religion usually evolves parallel to culture. When a new outlook develops (scientific revelation, for instance), religion tends to find ways to reconcile with it by changing stories to match it or by changing how stories are interpreted.
    Last edited by babyfyrefly; 01 Dec 2011 at 14:50.

Never Yield

I think there is at least one school of Odinism that says "nothing dies forever" ragnorok is a cycle. the Gods and men shall be reborn, than a time shall pass, and Ragnorok shall again happen, and over again forever. from wiki pagan

the Odin Brotherhood teaches that all beings ultimately experience death. In poetic terms, death is personified as beautiful females--called the valkyries--who exist "in an endless variety of exquisite forms."

Since death is not annihilation, the "transfigured life form" will go to one of three Other-Worlds. The most famous of these "Other-Worlds" is Valhalla.

In cosmic terms, death is described as Ragnarok, the final battle which destroys every universe. According to the Odin Brotherhood, Ragnarök is an "orgy of purification" from which a new cosmos is born. The cycle of destruction and rebirth--which will go on forever--is called the "Law-of-the-Endless-Circle."

Also called the eternal return or eternal recurrence, the "Law-of-the-Endless-Circle" teaches that existence never ends with destruction. “Nothing dies forever,” and all beings—and all things—will return.

Nov 2010
    Religion
    Heathen with a reconstructionist approach
    Phrase
    To be without silver is better than to be without honor

I do not use the modern term of Odinism, but accept some do. Apart from Snorri where else does this amazing final battle gain a mention in any other passed down folklore, and so on to three other worlds again where do these three worlds gain a mention in any other lore apart from Snorri, and what are they called, I am interested in this aspect.

A lot of people will not be aware of the Odin Brotherhood, would you care to elaborate who they are and what they are about.
    Gunnarr Sandisson
    "A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be." Albert Einstein
    Five Boroughs Hearth

Nov 2010
    Religion
    Slavic polytheist

Yes, there are many end of the world myths of a similar nature. Especially in Indo-European cultures. Take for instance the Persian myth of Azi Dahaka, which includes prophecy says the serpent will escape from his bonds at the end of the world and kill a third of mankind before the son of Thraetona slays him. There are a number of references in Slavic folklore to a monster or monsters that are chained up or imprisoned, waiting for the day they can be released, so I do believe something like Ragnorak is coming. I imagine that most of us will be dead by then, but some if not most of the dead might be somewhere far removed from the conflict.

I would be interested in knowing more about the Odin Brotherhood- I think I have read an interview of one of its members. If that interview was correct, the brotherhood tells some very captivating stories.
    If you want to be thought intelligent, just agree with everyone.

Nov 2010
    Religion
    Heathen with a reconstructionist approach
    Phrase
    To be without silver is better than to be without honor

It was invented in 1991 by a guy called Mark Mirabello, it claims its ancestory to 1421 amazingly enough, surname Mira sounds like mirror 1421 -1241 death of Snorri, it is a very clever deception to the lover of soundbites and misinformation, but not for the informed scholar of heathenry.
    Gunnarr Sandisson
    "A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be." Albert Einstein
    Five Boroughs Hearth

Nov 2010
    Religion
    Slavic polytheist

No, it didn't strike me as a very academic approach to reconstructionism. Still, I got the impression that their hearts are in the right place, at least from the basic philosophy I got from the interview.
    If you want to be thought intelligent, just agree with everyone.