This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Athena, Aphrodite and Dionysus

I am wondering if anyone is able to point me in the direction of any articles, websites, books etc that can help me learn more about these three Gods?

Whilst researching the Greek gods I have been particularly drawn to these three and have also had a number of signs that these are the three on who I should be focusing my attention (for the time being at least). I believe it is important to gain as much information as I can about them and do have www.theoi.com bookmarked. I have also read The Theogony of Hesiod and Works and Days, and am working my way through Greek Religion by Walter Burkert.

If anyone could point me in the direction of anything that may be of use/interest I would be very grateful
    http://thefeministpagan.blogspot.co.uk/

Re: Athena, Aphrodite and Dionysus

Ancient Values, Modern Thoughts -- All we ask, is that you think.
    sigpic
    Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Take a look at some of the things Raphaeline has written! She is a follower of Dionysus, and I'm pretty sure she has a devotional blog, too(don't have my saved blogs available at the moment, or I'd link it).
      Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Thanks for the link Hawk.

Des, I remembered Raphaeline's post about Dionysus after I wrote my post and have taken a few links off of it. Thanks for pointing it out for me though :-)

Comment

There's a book called "Devoted to You" (author listed as Judy Harrow). It's four different pagans (the cover says Wiccan, but they're not all Wiccans) giving information and talking about their relationship with their Deity, and how to connect with that Deity. One of the four is a section on Aphrodite, which is very well done.
          Hearth and Hedge

Comment

Some basic info on Aphrodite:
            Aphrodite was the ancient Greek goddess of love, beauty, pleasure and procreation. She was depicted as a beautiful woman often accompanied by the winged godling Eros. Her attributes included a dove, apple, scallop shell and mirror. Her Roman name was Venus.

Encyclopedia Mythica is the premier encyclopedia on mythology, folklore, and religion. Instant mythology since 1995.

I also think you're on the right track reading classical mythology such as Works and Days...that's where most of my info came from

I'm not by any means a reconstructionist, so my relationship with Aphrodite is a bit more of a personal one. I've been drifting from the Greeks lately, but I still fell a strong connection with her.

Comment

Theoi is awesome, I second it.

And thanks for pointing out pantheon.org to me, Danie. I can't believe I've never come across it before.
              Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
              -Erik Erikson

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
                Some basic info on Aphrodite:
                Aphrodite was the ancient Greek goddess of love, beauty, pleasure and procreation. She was depicted as a beautiful woman often accompanied by the winged godling Eros. Her attributes included a dove, apple, scallop shell and mirror. Her Roman name was Venus.

Encyclopedia Mythica is the premier encyclopedia on mythology, folklore, and religion. Instant mythology since 1995.

I also think you're on the right track reading classical mythology such as Works and Days...that's where most of my info came from

I'm not by any means a reconstructionist, so my relationship with Aphrodite is a bit more of a personal one. I've been drifting from the Greeks lately, but I still fell a strong connection with her.
                Thanks for the links :-) I spend a lot of time on Theoi as I am working my way through the relevant pages at the mo. The pantheon link was great, thanks again.

I am not interested in reconstructionism either. I did a lot of reading around it and have decided that's not really where my heart is but other than that I am still really trying to work out what exactly I am doing with my path.

Comment

I totally agree with the mythology angle. But I say meditation, meditation, meditation. Listen for which one speaks to you, and learn from them. I've never been much for one patron. I tend to learn from whoever is talking at the moment.

Athena has been one of the most powerful influences in my life, though. If you have any questions about her in particular, I could definitely help you. I've found that when I ask the universe or a specific deity, they lead me toward what I need to learn.

Edit* Theoi is a really awesome website! I've never been on it before today.
                  Last edited by Arneci; 24 Jan 2012, 07:48.

Comment

Working...
                  X