Calling all parents . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calling all parents . . .

How are you sharing your faith with your little one?

I live in an inter-faith household, and I am finding it difficult to get a word in edgewise (*cough*overbearinggrandmother*cough*).

Re: Calling all parents . . .

What age?

Obviously, the particulars depend on their age...but overall, I think it comes down to raising children to be religiously literate and letting them take part in your own practices and offering explanations, with the expectation that they will make their own choice and the hope that it will be a beneficial one.

In our home we are very careful to (almost constantly) say things like "well, not all people believe XYZ" or "Mommy and Daddy believe that Jesus is a story, like Tinkerbell is a story, but some people think Jesus is real", etc. We also make sure that our family does prayers (bedtime and mealtime) and their story books are from world mythology.

I wrote a blog post on the subject, based on a thread here a while back, which has some ideas and lays out our methodoly @ http://nuannaarpoq.wordpress.com/201...s-in-religion/
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

Yeah, overbearing. That's always fun. Not!

I'm lucky, being that my kids are all grown and starting families of their own. I just know that when it comes to parenting ideas (even ideals, tbh) I pretty much follow Thal's take. ^

That's not to say, though, that I'm as considerate as I'd like to be. The overbearing grandmother syndrome would wear me out FAST, to the point that I would have to respond, in kind. I mean, not to become overbearing but to be pretty damned assertive on how I feel. How I believe. And, actually, who I think should be minding her own flippin' business.

I'll take education and freedom of choice over ignorance and blind indoctrination, any day.

Hmm. That prolly didn't help, did it, Shadow?

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

My husband and I have similar issues, especially since we LIVED with my in-laws for the better part of three years. One thing we have definitely found to be true: Get together with your spouse, work out where you stand so you can present a united front, and then send whichever one of you is the child of the grandparent in question to discuss it.
        Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

[QUOTE=ChainLightning;49363]

"I'll take education and freedom of choice over ignorance and blind indoctrination, any day."

I have to agree with Chain.
          I live in a home consisting of two Roman Catholics (practicing as they go to church regularly), one says they are now an atheists, and one leans more to a mix of Catholic and a blend of eastern religions with a little Judaism thrown in. Everyone in our house knows I'm a Pagan and even with this mix there is no conflict among us. Maybe this is because we have always let kids in on most discussions and lessened to what they said. If they showed an interest in some area(not just religion)we did our best to accommodate them.
          As to the original question ask by Shadow we have one of those (OBG) too. We just let her state her opinions in her home and make it clear as possible later at our home that what she said was in fact just how she viewed that topic and not necessarily the only way to look at it. My kids were all raised Catholic and I had no major problems with this and as it turned out they have found their own paths and that is how I believe it should be. Even though none have chosen the path I'm on this is fine with me as I do not want to force my way on anyone even my own kids.
          Gargoyles watch over me...I can hear them snicker in the dark.

Pull the operating handle (which protrudes from the right side of the receiver) smartly to the rear and release it.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys.

Comment

Working...
            X