Joining the No-Meat Bandwagon....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joining the No-Meat Bandwagon....

This has been something that I have been curious about for a while now. The last couple weeks, I have been slowly cutting meat out of my diet, and I'm going to make the full switch over as soon as I can go to the grocery in a few days. There's one other person in my family who is vegetarian (we aren't talking vegan here, by the way--I'm still gonna eat milk and cheese, maybe even the occasional egg), but that is my sister-in-law who lives in Fredricksburg, VA.

So anyway, I was making a grocery list and trying to plan some meals ahead of time to make sure that I have a nice balance of different things, and I was wondering if anyone out there had any nice recipes or suggestions. I found some stuff on allrecipes.com, but I kinda wanted to ask the general PF populous as well.
    It's a really, really cool thing, to be able to show people that you can be yourself, and you should be proud of yourself, and you should own who you are and what you're about, and never make apologies for it.
    -Adam Lambert

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Re: Joining the No-Meat Bandwagon....

I can't offer much right now, but in the 90s I did a stint of vegetarianism....I lost 17lbs and never felt better. I know beans for protein works well. I also ate cheese, eggs and maybe every 2 weeks or so I'd even eat tuna/fish.

Will be watching this thread as it might be something I should consider again!
    Allow me to lend a machete to your intellectual thicket. ~ Captain Jack Sparrow

sigpic

Comment

I've found that I can't cut meat out...I do best heading in the Paleo direction, probably because I'm borderline pre-diabetic.

However, I was vegetarian for a long time. I strongly suggest seeing if you can find at the library The Moosewood Cookbook by Mollie Katzen, and the original Vegetarian Times Cookbook. Those are both oldies, but classic and very helpful for meal planning.
      Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

For quick meals, any of the pastas are good - you really don't need meat in most sauces. Also, the boxed rices and grains that come mostly complete are quick and easy; also the falfal, couscous, and tabouli.

For actual cooking, pretty much any stirfry can be made without meat just by leaving it out or replacing it with extra firm tofu (OK - orange chicken isn't exactly orange chicken when you use tofu, but you get the idea).

Experiment little bit - have fun. Whatever you cook most likely won't kill you, at least not right away...
        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I'm not vegetarian (there's no way I could be with my allergies) but for financial reasons I eat veg a couple of nights a week. I tried a great stuffed tomato recipe last week using leftover rice (I found it googling uses for left over rice) that was basically hollowed out tomatoes filled with a mixture of rice, parmesan, basil and garlic, baked for 20 minutes with olive oil.

I can't have lentils, soy, or any other legume so I'm not great with the 'replacing protein' department, but I did try a recipe for hummus and falafel using sunflower seeds instead of chick peas and it was really nice. I also like to use walnuts, cashews and almonds in things like stir fry and spaetzle to replace the meat.

One thing I hear from veg friends is that it's healthiest if you use more legumes, seeds and nuts rather than soy products like tofu. Soy is ok in moderation but too much actually isn't very good for you, and some of the 'fake meat' products are totally horrible and unhealthy.

Make sure you take vitamin B12....B12 is only found in animal sources and you'll get some of it eating eggs and dairy, but probably not enough. You'll also want to take iron.

Comment

I was a vegetarian for about 10 years, and I have a huge 3-ring binder full of recipies. I used to clip them out of Vegetarian Times, etc., tape them to paper (very old school, I know LOL). Do you want things that make a lot, that you can freeze? Do you like stews, chili, etc.?
            I *hated* the fake meat products! Love lentils, black beans, etc. Not a big fan of tofu but I have 1 recipe with it & shredded carrots where it comes out exactly like scrambled eggs. Sounds kinda weird but it's good.
            There's also a lot of pasta stuff that doesn't have meat, too. Let me know what your tastes are and I'll be happy to share. It's high time some of those recipies got typed or scanned or otherwise digitally preserved, anyway!
            sigpic
            Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Thanks everyone!

I was really looking into getting one of the vegetarian times cookbooks, but as Im in the process of a move and couch surfing right now, I thought that something like this would be best and I can bounce ideas off of people.

Hawkfeathers-- omfg yes. I do love stews and that sort of thing. I am also a fan of 'save what I don't eat and eat it later' because Im on SSI, so I don't like to waste anything at all. I'm a huge pasta fan so I'll definitely eat anything pasta related. I mostly ate fish before, so it was pretty easy to cut the meat out on my end. I also love rice and potatoes and beans (Im the kind of person that pretty much mixes everything on my plate together and eats it... weird, I know.)

I've been making a grocery list and playing with some of the recipes I've found online. I actually like tofu, but I don't know how to cook it (I guess that will take more than a bit of trial and error), and Im going to buy some of the boca chik'n patties and see how those taste. I think I definitely want to have some hard copy recipes eventually (like the vegetarian times) because I like to alter things and play around with ingredients.... so anything you can toss my way would be great!
              It's a really, really cool thing, to be able to show people that you can be yourself, and you should be proud of yourself, and you should own who you are and what you're about, and never make apologies for it.
              -Adam Lambert

Comment

I've been vegetarian/borderline vegan for quite some time now. I say this, because every now and then I'll have some cheese or baked goods with dairy in them.

Like DanieMarie said, fake meat products are the equivalent of veg junk food, don't go overboard with the soy, and be sure to get B12. Fortified cereals or soymilk are good sources of B12, if you don't want to consume any animal products.

Load up on legumes, grains, and lots of fresh veggies and fruit. Seitan (the "wheat meat) is a soy-free option to add a "meaty" portion to your meal. Quinoa is a good grain to become friends with, as it is a complete protein source (it contains all essential amino acids). Sea vegetables (algae) and flax seeds are high in Omega 3 fatty acids.

Also, without all the fake meat products, vegetarian and/or vegan meals can be loads cheaper than omni meals. Beans, rice, and quinoa are pretty much dirt cheap. Add in some veggies and you can crank out some pretty kick ass soups and stir-fry meals.

Although it is a vegan book, I like Alicia Silverstone's The Kind Diet. Lots of really yummy recipes in there.

All that being said, I've never felt better since giving up animal products. My immune system is amazing. Everyone in my house has been sick with strep throat for the past week. Me? I'm chugging along without a sniffle. Maybe it's a coincidence, but I'm not complaining.

---------- Post added at 10:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 PM ----------

Originally posted by kijani View Post
                and Im going to buy some of the boca chik'n patties and see how those taste.
                I know I said the fake meat products are junk (everything in moderation!), but those ARE good! Gardein also has some pretty good chicken-y stuff.

Nothing beats a homemade black bean burger, but Morning Star and Amy's are pretty good. I'm not a fan of Boca burgers.

Comment

sigpic

Comment

I actually like morningstar's breakfast patties...

I'm not big on the fake meat products either, but some of them I do like--like the chicken patties and also, the hamburger replacement for ground beef, if you ever need to feed a veggie that loves beefaroni (don't laugh, I know someone that does).

As for info--The NEw Becoming Vegetarian is an awesome book--I had the original when I was veg, and I've read The Becoming Vegan one as well--it really covers the nutritional aspect of it and practical advice. For recipes, I second the Moosewood cookbooks...actually, I probably have some of their recipes still in *my* cook book, I'll see what I can dig out...but with the internet, there are tons of veggie recipe sites, you really don't need a cook book.
                    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                    sigpic

Comment

I like Morningstar's Garden Veggie patties. They don't really taste like anything else I've ever had so I can't compare them to anything but they're good!
                      Last edited by Hawkfeathers; 01 Sep 2011, 12:20. Reason: typo!!!
                      sigpic

Comment

Wow thanks guys! I'm only like three days in with no meat so far, but I think I'm doing pretty good and I'm trying new things. I'm going to the grocery again on Saturday to pick up a few more fun bits and pieces, and I'm looking forward to playing around with things in the kitchen. I found this:

That I like... really want to try, but I need a few things before I can give it a shot. It just looks yummy as hell.
                        -Adam Lambert

Comment

sigpic

Comment

Two other things I just thought of, hun--

I'm pretty sure I haven't seen anyone else say it, but the reason beans and rice are paired together so often is because they make a complete protein you wouldn't otherwise get: http://www.nomeatathlete.com/rice-and-beans/

Second, since money is tight for you, too...consider signing up for a bountiful basket each week: http://www10.bountifulbaskets.org/

I kept putting off doing it, because I didn't want to try to figure out the system, but it's really simple. You just sign up and pay $16 on Monday (I think there's a small basket fee the first time, too, like $2), then go on Saturday morning with your order number and pick it up. Help if you can now and then.

It is seriously about $40-50 worth of produce. For the first time in months, I can let my kids graze and snack without worrying that we won't have any more produce before the week is up.
                            Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Originally posted by shadow cat View Post
                              Seitan (the "wheat meat) is a soy-free option to add a "meaty" portion to your meal. Quinoa is a good grain to become friends with, as it is a complete protein source (it contains all essential amino acids).
                              Oh yeah I forgot about this one! Probably because I can't eat it (also allergic to wheat) but it's a great option.
                              [quot]
                              All that being said, I've never felt better since giving up animal products. My immune system is amazing. Everyone in my house has been sick with strep throat for the past week. Me? I'm chugging along without a sniffle. Maybe it's a coincidence, but I'm not complaining.

---------- Post added at 10:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 PM ----------

Totally believe it! Not really that it's because you're veg but I swear, different diets work for different people. I grew up eating west coast salmon and stuff like spinach and I swear it's the food that makes my body happy, and last year when I went back to eating mostly fish for protein (and of that mostly fatty fish), I got sick less than any other year.

I know I said the fake meat products are junk (everything in moderation!), but those ARE good! Gardein also has some pretty good chicken-y stuff.

Nothing beats a homemade black bean burger, but Morning Star and Amy's are pretty good. I'm not a fan of Boca burgers.[/QUOTE]

Comment

Working...
                              X