• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should Pagans Be Survivalists?

From the blog post by the same title...

Yes, No, Maybe so?

Discuss...
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Re: Should Pagans Be Survivalists?

I think people in general, not just Pagans or paramilitary whack-jobs, should have basic survival skills. Knowing how to obtain water & food, knowing how to store food properly, knowing how to store certain types of medication, having a generator & knowing how to safely operate it, knowing what basic necessities you might need in case of a flood, earthquake, volcano eruption - all that comes in handy for anyone.

I think it's something kids need to know - I've got young coworkers who can't change the oil in their cars or flat tires. How would they make it if something devastating happened and all power & communication was lost? Nevada is a nuclear/military state, after all. Hell, just driving across the state in the summer can kill you if your car breaks down & you get stranded for any length of time. We've got civilization, but there's a lot of Great Big Empty between towns. I can recognize the cacti most likely to have water & least likely to make people sick. My 20-something-year old nieces? Not so much.

It's also about expecting and being somewhat prepared for the unexpected, having a level head & being able to use common sense and problem solving. Keeping food stored & knowing safe storage methods is great - but how many people in earthquake zones stop to think glass containers are kind of vulnerable? Who would have imagined that a hurricane would hit the entire east coast? People in the Gulf states might have snake-bite kits handy, but would someone in New York think about what would happen if flooding washed rattlesnakes out of their woods & into a nearby town?

Something that the post points at with mentions of thriving vs. mere surviving, is involving communities. A lot of people in dire conditions often only think of themselves. They don't think about their neighbors. How will I survive, how will my family survive? In the coming zombie apocalypse, if I get appendicitis, I can't do home surgery. Maybe my neighbor is a surgeon. Wouldn't it be great to be able to have someone in my party know how to treat appendicitis? Well, if my surgeon neighbor got attacked by zombies while out foraging for food, what good is he going to be to anyone now that he has an insatiable hunger for brains? But if I had a fully stocked pantry and he was holed up with me & mine, that would be a different story.
    The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

I ask myself this question, the question I ask myself in return is "Why Pagans?"

I can't think of any specific reason that Pagans should be survivalists, at least, no more than the same reasons others might want to be prepared for disaster.

I supose that whether a person wants to do this or not depends on a few things, like:

A. how likely are you to be in a disaster zone?

B. if a disaster occurs, how long will it take for help to come?

C. do you have more faith and trust in the government (or other organization) better than you have in yourself?

D. if something bad should happen, how will you care for your family/children/spouse/others until help arrives?

I don't know if people - pagans or otherwise, should do this, but they ought to consider those questions, at least.
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

A very well thought out response. This post could be used as a template for many.
        As Pagans (in the essential meaning of the word) we all should have the stills and inherent ability to adapt and survive, although a skill-set from the SAS would not be a bad addition too.
        Community is/would be advatantagious but how many of the "civilised" peoples even really care today?
        My thoughts.
        Love is the centre of all things. Fear is the destroyer of beauty and lives. Anything a despot can do to a people, humanity and community can heal and undo.

"Life is too short to worry about the little things. Better to let the moms of the world do that. They are great at it." - Madelyn Alt

Comment

I think everybody should be prepared religion doesn't make much of a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by verlignus View Post
            A very well thought out response. This post could be used as a template for many.
            As Pagans (in the essential meaning of the word) we all should have the stills and inherent ability to adapt and survive.

although a skill-set from the SAS would not be a bad addition too.
            My thoughts.
            I like the stills part! Sorry just being a smart ass. Some people may not know that SAS stands for Special Air Service which is a special forces unit of the British army.

---------- Post added at 12:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 PM ----------

Originally posted by LadyGarnetRose View Post
            I think everybody should be prepared religion doesn't make much of a difference.
            I agree with LadyGernetRose on this. My wife agreed to a few changes around here after watching the events of Hurricane Katrina unfold and seeing how well our government responded. But yes we should do what we can just in case of a man made or natural disaster.
            Last edited by Monk; 06 Sep 2011, 04:32.
            Gargoyles watch over me...I can hear them snicker in the dark.

Pull the operating handle (which protrudes from the right side of the receiver) smartly to the rear and release it.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
              I ask myself this question, the question I ask myself in return is "Why Pagans?"
              Because, as the article briefly mentioned, many Pagans have or want a deeper connection to their ancestors and the past. This then tends to lead them to the "old skills" our ancestors used; which are now labeled "survivalist". I know for me personally, ancestral connection was the main driving force behind my Druidry, historical re-enactment, blacksmithing, woodworking, gardening, bowyering, slinging, weaving, open-fire cooking, weaving, spinning and baking.

So while I think anybody should learn "old skills" I also think there are a disproportionate number of Pagans actually doing so.
              Re: Living History Blog
              Ancient Celtic Clans

Comment

Working...
              X