Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this the usual spam or something else?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this the usual spam or something else?

Got this email today. I've gotten the Nigerian bank account scam ones before, but this one doesn't ask for any bank info - instead it asks for a copy of my passport. Never heard that one before. Could this possibly be terrorist-related? I don't know if I should report it anywhere or not.... any of you familiar with this one?

<<<I have been waiting for you since to come down here and pick your Bank
    Draft which my boss left with me before he traveled to Paraguay but I did
    not hear from you since that time till today. I went to the bank to
    confirm whether the draft is getting close to expire as it had been long
    time my boss issued the draft. The director of the bank told me that
    before the draft will get to you, that it will expire.

Then I told him to help me and cash the cashier bank draft of $2.5m to
    cash payment.However,I have successfully cashed the draft and packaged it
    in a box and have registered it in the Global Trust Courier Service here.I
    have paid for the delivering charges and insurance fees.

This is their Contact Address;Attn:
    Dr.Ken Oma (Director)
    Tel:+22999705700
    E-mail: (drkenoma01@yahoo.fr)

Send them your
    1. Your full name:.....
    2. Your shipping/home address:.....
    4. Your current office tel no #
    5. A copy of your passport.
    And do not let them know that the box contain money.
    Collins Emma>>>
    sigpic
    Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Re: Is this the usual spam or something else?

All of these kinds of notices are fraudulent. Ignore them, never respond in any way.
    Love is the centre of all things. Fear is the destroyer of beauty and lives. Anything a despot can do to a people, humanity and community can heal and undo.

"Life is too short to worry about the little things. Better to let the moms of the world do that. They are great at it." - Madelyn Alt

Comment

Oh I wasn't going to respond - just thinking about reporting it somewhere.
      sigpic

Comment

The FBI has a cyber-crime unit that may be interested. Past that, if entities you don't recognize ask for info then it's a scam at best. Hell, if entities that you might recognize ask for personal info for reasons that you aren't absolutely sure of, it's probably a scam.
        life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I've had all sorts of scam emails before, asking for my password, credit card, etc. I can spot those a mile away. Never been asked for a copy of a passport, though, and just concerned that if someone actually followed those directions - what might that lead to? I don't know how fake passports are made but I would assume one might start by getting a copy of a real one.

Oh and I did reply to one, one time, years ago, it was just like the Nigerian one but from some other country. I replied using a "throw-away" email addy, through a proxy, saying "But my great uncle already died in Nigeria, and I already collected the 7 million, are you SURE you have more money to send me?" LOL I just hadda do it.
          sigpic

Comment

It's just another version of the Nigerian bank scam.

I once got a spam message from the 'FBI' asking for copies of my IDs, birth certificate, tax returns, etc. I forwarded it to the actual FBI's phishing report e-mail address, and received a 'please remove us from your mailing list' canned response :lol:
            The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

total scam. and my bank provides a list of websites you can report it to. give me a day and i'll be back with a list.
              (perks of working at a bank)
              &quot;Close your eyes, take 20 paces farther than you thought nessesary and just when you think you&#039;ve lost your way completely.. you&#039;ll be there. open your eyes&quot; Alice Hoffman

Comment

Working...
              X