My Basil isn't happy. Help! :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Basil isn't happy. Help! :(

I have a basil plant growing on the kitchen windowsill, and up to now it's been doing fine. I grew it from seed (it was a little 'grow your own basil' thing from Homebase) and moved it to a bigger pot once it was big enough. I've been watering it every so often and it's gotten pretty big (tbh it needs planting out in the garden, but I'm waiting on the wind dropping). BUT! In the past couple of days, big dark blotches have appeared on some leaves, and the baby leaves at the bottom look withered and generally sad. I'm not sure if it's over or under-watered, or just sunburnt :/ I've included some pictures to help with diagnosis.
    Attached Files
    "The Germans do not think it in keeping with the divine majesty to confine gods within walls or to portray them in the likeness of any human countenance. Their holy places are woods and groves, and they apply the names of deities to that hidden presence which is seen only by the eye of reverence." (Tacitus, `Germania', 9)

Re: My Basil isn't happy. Help!

Maybe the air in the room is too dry and it can't get it's nutrients properly, Or it could just be the soil, maybe if you re-potted it in rich organic soil and add plant food or something it might start to perk up
    "Otwarty świat; rany zamknięte."
    - Open world; Wounds closed.

Comment

That sounds like an idea. Like I say, it needs to be moved into the garden at some point anyway, and sooner rather than later as the frosts will be coming in soon :/ Also we have central heating, so the air being too dry is a distinct possibility.
      "The Germans do not think it in keeping with the divine majesty to confine gods within walls or to portray them in the likeness of any human countenance. Their holy places are woods and groves, and they apply the names of deities to that hidden presence which is seen only by the eye of reverence." (Tacitus, `Germania', 9)

Comment

Or get one of those window boxes that are kinda like rectangle-ish and you can detach them from the outer window and bring it in in harsh weather. Saying that though, because it's been grown primarily indoors (right?) It may be weaker to the wind because it may not have had 'experience' of strong winds which could cause it to snap

Comment

Yeah, that's what I was worried about :/ I might just put it in a big pot and grow it in my room over the winter... If I can get it happy again!

Comment

I hope you can! Best of luck

Comment

Huh...those don't look like crispy dried leaves to me.

How long have you had it? Basil is a biennial, and most store bought ones are already on the older side to be big.
              Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

I've never managed to over-winter basil, even indoors. In the UK, especially up north where you are Ravenix, it tends to be treated as an annual. I would personally harvest the healthy leaves and start again next year. But of course, maybe Basil just loses the will to live when I'm around....
                Best of luck!
                www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by DeseretRose View Post
                  Huh...those don't look like crispy dried leaves to me.

How long have you had it? Basil is a biennial, and most store bought ones are already on the older side to be big.
                  Roughly guessing, I've had it a couple of months, and I grew it from seed.

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
                  I've never managed to over-winter basil, even indoors. In the UK, especially up north where you are Ravenix, it tends to be treated as an annual. I would personally harvest the healthy leaves and start again next year. But of course, maybe Basil just loses the will to live when I'm around....
                  Best of luck!
                  Oh dear So it's just reaching the end of its life? I've kept it indoors its whole life so I thought it wouldn't be too affected by the annual cycles.... then again a few of my herbs outside die off over winter and come back (except the golden feverfew, which completely snuffed it from being forced out of the soil by some incredibly vivacious parsley that needs cutting back every two weeks to stop it overtaking the garden).
                  Last edited by Ravenix; 14 Sep 2011, 14:29.

Comment

I found this:

http://www.ehow.com/how-does_5622248...s-leaves_.html
                    sigpic
                    Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
                      AHA! I was worried it would be this Thanks! I'll get to destroying those leaves right away.

Comment

UPDATE: After some reading on the 'Net, it appears that the plant is not only overwatered, but it also has a potassium deficiency (the black splodges are too big to be leaf spot). I've ordered some high-potash fertiliser and I'm going to water it less... hopefully it'll pick up (providing it's not an infection of some kind, although the symptoms don't match any of the most common ones). Since I've removed the knackered leaves, the black splodges have never come back as big. Fingers crossed!

Comment

Yay! Hope that's it.
                          Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Great stuff - let us know how you get on.
                            www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Working...
                            X