This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mixing Catholicism with Witchcraft?

Sounds pretty oxymoronic but, i've heard of people practicing both. Any input anyone?

Re: Mixing Catholicism with Witchcraft?

Yeah, It can work. But it takes a lot of effort and explanation on the person practicing the path. I know someone (not very well so this could be a little bit wrong) who is a christo-witch, She believes in Jesus, God and the creation, but she follows just 'normal' earth based rituals, spells and she wears a pentacle and a cross at the same time. There's a good website I found from another Christo-witch here: http://arganteswell.tripod.com/id1.html I hope this helps somewhat
    "Otwarty świat; rany zamknięte."
    - Open world; Wounds closed.

Comment

Speaking only in regard to Roman Catholocism, not easily. There are explicit contadictions that have to be either set aside or dodged with a display of mental gymnastics and legalese that will not be received well if you mention it to the priesthood. There are a number of elements within Catholicism that bear striking resemblances to things found in other paths and a witch can easily borrow elements of Catholcism but a Catholic who is claiming to be a witch is either not up on their theology or they're ignoring some basic elements that might leader to the question of are they really Catholic or something new and different?
      life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I may be wrong here, but isn't that basically what Voodoo is?
        "The Germans do not think it in keeping with the divine majesty to confine gods within walls or to portray them in the likeness of any human countenance. Their holy places are woods and groves, and they apply the names of deities to that hidden presence which is seen only by the eye of reverence." (Tacitus, `Germania', 9)

Comment

Depends which path of voodoo, there are a few, some aspects of each one could relate to Christo/Catholic-witches but not completely
          "Otwarty świat; rany zamknięte."
          - Open world; Wounds closed.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravenix View Post
            I may be wrong here, but isn't that basically what Voodoo is?
            Vodou, Santeria, Candomble, Macumba and many of the other African Diaspora religions are syncretized religions that may include spellcraft/witchcraft as part of their accepted practices - but they aren't 'just' witchcraft.
            The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Originally posted by greenwood01 View Post
              Sounds pretty oxymoronic but, i've heard of people practicing both. Any input anyone?
              No. No. No. (Just my opinion, but I'll stop shuddering in a minute).

Having said that, it can work from a Witches' point of view... but not from a Catholic because it is monotheistic and for them there is only one God. The Christian god. and if you don't accept that, then you aren't Catholic. I'm assuming Catholic as RC here, but CoE would apply just about too.... although come to think of it, the Archbishop of Canterbury is also a Druid, so maybe not.

I think I may have just fried my head. Maybe I should go and lie down....
              www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Santeria is interesting. I had a Cuban friend who practiced it and I never looked into it.

Comment

Originally posted by greenwood01 View Post
                  Santeria is interesting. I had a Cuban friend who practiced it and I never looked into it.
                  It's not something you can really 'eclecticize', and it does have a very strict hierarchy when it comes to initiation & priesthood.

Voodoo is a little less structured, and you can adopt certain practices into your existing ones. Luisah Teish's books have a more Wiccan/witchcraft take on Voodoo if you wanted to explore in that direction.

I can't really recommend any similar authors for Santeria - Migene Gonzales-Wippler's are ok, but since I got ahold of her book on magical talismans (and actually read it all the way through) she refers a lot to 'Satanic' symbology/protection & from demons/devils, that kind of thing, in the Hollywood sense and it left me with a bad taste about her authenticity. For many years, there weren't any common published books (other than sensationalized fiction like The Religion by Nicholas Conde - it's the book that spawned the movie The Believers) in the US about Santeria because it was a highly secretive and initiatory religion. However, some of that secrecy has been lifted, and there's a lot more information available both in print & on the 'net.
                  The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

haha fried ur head eh?

Comment

Well...witchcraft is a practice, and not a religion...though it can be (and is) incorporated into some religious traditions. So...assuming you can get past some of the issues certain Christian religions (including Catholicism) would have with the practice of witchcraft...I think it would depend more on one's ability to go to mass on Sunday, bust out the the spell supplies on Monday and head to confession on Tuesday.
                      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                      sigpic

Comment

Only problem is that there is not a great deal of room for interpretation on Catholocism's issues with the practice of Witchcraft. You pretty much have to ignore an explicit "Thou shalt not" or perform some truly entertaining mental gymnastics and not tell the local priest. Much as I joke about the Book of Common Prayers being a spellbook, Catholic theology doesn't agree. Spellwork, energy manipulation, a host of other tricks will fall under sorcery or superstition by canon law and neither is truly appreciated (though superstition gets less general annoyance, it's a lesser issue and insanely easy to fall into).
                        life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                          Only problem is that there is not a great deal of room for interpretation on Catholocism's issues with the practice of Witchcraft. You pretty much have to ignore an explicit "Thou shalt not" or perform some truly entertaining mental gymnastics and not tell the local priest.
                          My mom is Catholic...and uses birth control, believes in abortion as a reproductive right, fully admits to having garden "helpers", agrees with the death penalty, believes in gay marriage, uses tarot cards, thinks women should be allowed to be priests, and is a practitioner of a energy-work program for health careworkers...

She might not be a *good* Catholic, but she's still Catholic...
                          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                          sigpic

Comment

Some Protestant denominations insist that Catholics aren't Christian because of the use of intercessors in prayers, etc. IMO that brings Catholicism a bit closer to Paganism. It's the ability to understand different aspects of, and niche purposes for, all those saints, Mary, etc. Yes, Christianity has One God, but there's the whole triune Father/Son/Holy Spirit thing to consider.
                            sigpic
                            Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

It's perfectly ok to take what works for you and leave what doesn't. People do it all the time. Creating your own spiritual path, etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X