Reading the Bible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reading the Bible

Hey guys. I've started a youtube channel (another thread) and what I am doing on it is reading the bible from cover to cover.
    I'm not doing it with the PURPOSE of ripping it to shreds, I am doing it because it seems like something I should do.

I want to do it right so I was wondering whither I could ask some questions as I go along and you guys could help me speed up my research and such as I go. Its so interesting but each video (research, filming and editing) is taking 5-6 hours at a time and I'm not even out of genesis yet. So any help you guys can give me on each section as I go would be really appreciated.

Currently I am working on Genesis and working my way through Adam and Eve and the lifespan of humans. The science side of things is what I really struggle with. I'm an artist not a scientist, so if you guys can help... please do?

I don't want you guys DOING my research for me, but if you guys can help point me in the right direction with stuff it would be a huge help! XXX
    "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

https://www.facebook.com/KimberlyHagenART

Re: Reading the Bible

I liked Exodus.

Moses uproots a bunch of folks who don't really seem like they're too unhappy with their lot, drags them across the desert & puts up with 'are we there yet?' for a good month & a half. Every time Moses leaves them alone, they whip out new hijinks to annoy him on his return. Seen in the right light, the whole golden calf thing was freaking funny. (No disrespect intended... but it was like Benny-Hillish British comedy).

I still don't know why they were so compelled to leave Egypt in the first place, because even in the Bible it didn't seem like such a bad life. Many of them were skilled craftspeople who were treated as such. Moses must have been pretty darned charismatic.
    The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Well when a dude in a robe appears offering you a life of chillaxing with milk and honey rather than the daily grind what would you take?

Modern Moses:
      "Yo dudes, don't work the 9 till 5, come with me and we'll chill out with Coke 0 and Cheesecake, all day everyday!"

Who could say no to that? :P x
      "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

Comment

Good for you for reading it cover to cover. While we can argue about it's truth or not, it's still one of the cornerstones of western literature, and you can't have a good grounding in art and humanities without being familiar with it.
        Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

sure...what sort of info are you looking for?
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

Just when I am ready to ask for it, sites and references to points I am unsure of. Help with some of the science de-funk jargon and any personal experiences with certain parts of the bible.
            I have never read it all the way through before so some of it is sketchy at best for me.

At the moment I am researching Cain and Able, and I am really interested in finding info on the history of animal sacrifice/blood sacrifice because that is what the story is about really. Blood sacrifice brings much more gratitude from God than sacrifice of crops. Damn he is a hard ass god isn't he? :P So that's what I'm doing just now. X

Comment

One thing you could look at (though obviously not as your only source) is Jehovah Witness text. I know what they teach is really controversial but from conversations I’ve had with them, they have some really good material and tend to take the Bible literally. That’s important because it means that their publications usually clarify what is in the text itself without trying to interpret it or make it mean something else. Now I haven’t read a ton of the text, just a couple pamphlets, but I do have a good impression from that.
              We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
              It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
              Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
              -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

I personally recommend this site:

Online Bible Study Suite. Topical, Greek and Hebrew study tools, plus concordances, commentaries, sermons and devotionals.

I use it often and it serves as a great "study guide".
                my etsy store
                My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
                surrounded by plush, downy things,
                ill prepared, but willing,
                to descend."

Comment

You might find this blog interesting...http://uubible.wordpress.com/ She's a UU sociologist who promised her Christian mom that she's read the Bible, and she's been blogging about it. Some blogger at Slate did as well--took him a year...http://www.slate.com/id/2150150/

It might be interesting for comparison's sake for you!!
                  Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                  sigpic

Comment

Thanks Thal! I'm also going to start/link a blog to it so that you guys get a written response as well.

Oh and btw GOD DOES YOUTUBE TAKE FOREVER TO LOUD VIDEO!

Comment

The Bible is a big contradiction to me. My main nag with it is that it is supposed to be the word of God, but it was written by man.

Man... or humankind as a whole, are messed up people. There are even different versions of the Bible, with completely different translations, and Christians who swear that Christian group A is wrong or Christian group B is wrong because it actually says [insert stuff here]. I think you made that point in your blog though, Kim. My favorite one so far has been your one on Adam & Eve. I'm pretty sure I agree completely with just about everything you've said so far. I'd read it again along with you, but it makes my head hurt lol.
                      It's a really, really cool thing, to be able to show people that you can be yourself, and you should be proud of yourself, and you should own who you are and what you're about, and never make apologies for it.
                      -Adam Lambert

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Comment

WHO WAS CAIN'S WIFE?

After I stick up my next video (that I am editing just now) I want to do a video specifically on the opinions and thoughts regarding the most talked about biblical "wife" in existence.

I have already come across several interesting theories concerning who she was, why her existence is not explained and why even Christians seem to find this hard to explain. I have read things from as simple and logical as she was his sister (because there had to have been inbreeding if the bible is to be taken literally) to God did not feel her creation was worth explaining because women are less important than men.

I have found many links and sources already because this truly fascinates me and I want to make a very insightful video showing loads of thoughts on it as it is a major first stumbling point in the bible and I'm not even out of Genesis 4 yet.

I would love to hear any thoughts you guys have, any links you already have and any thoughts of any resident Christians we have at the moment.

Please? X

Comment

What I was taught growing up was that as first descendants from "perfect" DNA, incest didn't matter.
                          Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Originally posted by FantasyWitch View Post
                            WHO WAS CAIN'S WIFE?
                            There are really two schools of thought here--#1 married a sister, #2 married a pre-Adamite descendant, which may be based on an error in translation. Often the pre-Adamite man is either considered to be This wholemutiple creations is actually an idea that's been around for awhile (Wiki does a pretty good discussion), and is a Biblical predecessor to polygenism, which was a controversial "scientific" idea of multiple creation/evolutionary lines from the 1800's used to justify slavery.

Actually (on the off chance that the link doesn't work)...go to google book and put in Stephen Jay Gould's "I have Landed", then search the book for the name Isabelle Duncan, and you should end up in a chapter called "The Pre-Adamite in a nutshell"...it should help. If for some reason a page is mission or so, let me know, I have the book in storage somewhere. there is also a book called "Adam's ancestors: race, religion, and the politics of human origins" by David N. Livingstone, which is interesting!

Remind me when you get to Noah and the Curse of Ham, and I'll pull up part of Winthrop Jordan's The Whiteman's Burden (its the short version of his difinitive text on the history of slavery--all 600+ pages)...and you can talk about how it was used to justify slavery...

(my term paper last semester was on the religious and scientific "theories" of race--since the two weren't as separate in the 1800's--and how they contributed to slavery)
                            sigpic

Comment

Wow I'm learning a lot from following along with this thread and Kimmy's blog. Yay knowledge!!
                              It's a really, really cool thing, to be able to show people that you can be yourself, and you should be proud of yourself, and you should own who you are and what you're about, and never make apologies for it.
                              -Adam Lambert

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Comment

Working...
                              X