This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tips for keeping warm

I'm the same way. I can not stand the cold. I have bradycardia (sp?), which is low heart rate and BP and the cold physically bothers me.

We're moving to a place where we have to pay for utilities so I will be thinking of inventive ways to stay warm as well. The only saving grace is the house is a stone house so it stays warmer in winter and cooler in summer so that should save on the bills

Comment

Yeah my apartment is brand-new, so all the windows are good....but my heat does escape because it's a 2-floor apartment and upstairs is floor-to-ceiling windows. There's no door to upstairs either. I eventually want to make some good curtains for up there, but it's a lot of work and I also have to install a slider thing so I can slide the curtains to one side. Any suggestions?

Comment

[quote author=ChainLightning link=topic=369.msg4781#msg4781 date=1287498370]
        One thing that made a difference for us, immediately, was a higher thread count sheet set. We also double up the comforter/quilt, as well as wear jammies.

Around the house, though: lights, television, stoves, computers... almost anything electric gives off some amount of heat. I've been known to strategically place things for the warmth they give off. And gone so far as to bake cookies and breads just to break a chill, in the house.
        [/quote]

Oooo ya when I made thanksgiving dinner it was SUPER hot in here! But electricity is also expensive too so I like to cut back on that as well.

I do like my high thread count sheets! I bought some 600-thread-count ones in Canada when I was there.

Comment

[quote author=DanieMarie link=topic=369.msg4790#msg4790 date=1287499220]
          Yeah my apartment is brand-new, so all the windows are good....but my heat does escape because it's a 2-floor apartment and upstairs is floor-to-ceiling windows. There's no door to upstairs either. I eventually want to make some good curtains for up there, but it's a lot of work and I also have to install a slider thing so I can slide the curtains to one side. Any suggestions?
          [/quote]

We have a two story, and we have the problem of the downstairs being cold because there is a four foot open space underneath with no insulation. Also, our windows and doors are crappy...but thats a different fix (yay for shrink wrap!! YAY for cheap kitty litter door draft stoppers!!).

What we are doing this winter is shutting off the register to the living room and kitchen, and putting some heavy duty curtains between there and the kitchen (its an open floor plan, so there is no door) and between the kitchen and the stairs...in the kitchen we have a space heater. It makes sense since our upstairs gets warm and because we have all the entertainment up here--movies for the kids, etc. Also, we have draft stoppers for the interior doors, so that any room we shut off, we can be sure that its really shut off. If you have ceiling fans you can even reverse their direction to spin, it will actually push the warm air downwards to recirculate by drawing up the cool air.
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

Wow. I'm the opposite of all of you. I like to be cold. I keep my bedroom window open all year round, and very rarely use the heater (unless it gets very cold outside)

I walk around in my underwear in the mornings, and can be found in shorts until the end of October sometimes (in Canada.)

Mostly art.

Comment

At the shelter we use to joke that getting a big dog who thinks he is a lapdog was the best way to go. Or maybe a couple of smaller dogs... Or like... a dozen ferrets? :P Maybe not that one.

[quote author=ChainLightning link=topic=369.msg4781#msg4781 date=1287498370]
              And gone so far as to bake cookies and breads just to break a chill, in the house.[/quote]

That's why I bake and cook long meals on the stove a lot more often in the winter, keeps me nice and warm! Not just the heat from the oven, but eating all that warm food too.
              Hearth and Hedge

Comment

[quote author=volcaniclastic link=topic=369.msg4805#msg4805 date=1287500679]
                Wow. I'm the opposite of all of you. I like to be cold. I keep my bedroom window open all year round, and very rarely use the heater (unless it gets very cold outside)

I walk around in my underwear in the mornings, and can be found in shorts until the end of October sometimes (in Canada.)
                [/quote]

Scott is like this too.
                Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                sigpic

Comment

I, too, hate the cold.. odd for someone who used to ride a bike throughout the winter and would wear a T-Shirt all year around... Now i can't abide the cold at all. To keep warm i will have 2 winter Duvets in the coldest part of the year. Heat-stealling from the Wife is also a bonus as she runs quite hot. Plus 5 cats and a dog can keep you warm in the winter too :P

M
                  In the end, only you know if you were right or wrong, so tolerate others beliefs, no matter how wrong, they may be right...

Comment

Hot Chocolate, Hot water bottle, and huge fluffy duck feather duvet works everytime
                    "Otwarty świat; rany zamknięte."
                    - Open world; Wounds closed.

Comment

I live in a basement in Iowa and it gets cold down there, even when it's nice a toasty upstairs. We use flannel sheets, a heated mattress pad, and about three layers of those fuzzy blankets that you can buy at random places (there's a store in the mall that sells them, but only for half the year). Sometimes it gets warm enough that we're sweating by morning, but sometimes I'm still shivering. I'm definitely going to try wearing a hat of some sort. I should have thought of that last year... and having a layer of sheets under the mattress pad keeps some of the heat from seeping into the bed.

Out of bed.. I wear a blanket, kinda like a cape. But I hate the cold. I have slippers for my feet. And I usually don't take my coat and stuff off until it's absolutely necessary. I layer up on socks, like a fuzzy pair, a cotton pair, another cotton pair, another fuzzy pair... which makes my socks go really fast and is the reason my sneakers don't quite fit in the summer. I only eat warm food and I try to only drink warm drinks (hot tea, hot chocolate, coffee) and using something with a little more fat, like milk instead of water, seems to help. We had a space heater for the bathroom, cause getting out of a shower in the freezing cold basement was not fun, but I think that they got rid of it this year... Oh and we put blankets up on the outside walls covering the concrete, the windows, etc. It at least directs the heat to the floor. Sadly, it costs to much to insulate the basement so we make do with concrete walls, but the floor is carpeted.

I have a love for blankets, I think I personally have.... 4...6...7 full size blankets and at least that many throws... my fiance has another... 5.... full size blankets and I think 3 throws... so probably like between 20 and 25 blankets between the two of us... not counting the four sets of sheets and the mattress pad.... I think i have an obsession. And then his parents (who we are renting the basement from) have quite a few and his brother and his girlfriend have their own as well. Two bedroom house... partially finished basement... 6 people... 7 every other weekend... maybe it will be warmer this year. Of course that also means the door will be opening and closing more often. Ah well, any more advise for avoiding the cold would be most welcome.
                      We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                      It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                      Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                      -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

[quote author=Shahaku link=topic=369.msg5229#msg5229 date=1287588746]
                        Sadly, it costs to much to insulate the basement so we make do with concrete walls, but the floor is carpeted.
                        [/quote]

You can build a few more layers on this by getting some area or throw rugs and going for a collage sort of effect...plus it looks cool if you pull it off correctly. Our first apartment had brand spanking new carpet and we didn't want to ruin it...but it works to add a few more layers to the floor too (that same apartment I would swear was carpeted directly onto the concrete, it was so cold and hard)
                        sigpic

Comment

Mr Penry swears by his pair of Long Johns... not sure if this is what you call them in the US - they're a type of under-trouser?

Back in January I was wretchedly cold... I even wrote about one solution to it here: http://tylluanpenry.blog.co.uk/2010/...e-hat-7695443/

www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Our carpet is definitely directly on the concrete, it's coming up in places. And we have asbestos pipes... it bugs me to no end.
                            We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                            It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                            Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                            -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

I sleep nekkid (we're co-sleeping with the baby, so that won't last too long, unfortunately) even in the winter time; we just stack on blankets. What I did one winter was to put an electric blanket underneath me, like on top of the fitted sheet, and keep it on all night. Now I'm aware of it as a fire hazard, but it worked!

Like Chain, I bake when it gets cold, and do laundry (the dryer). A favorite is to keep a space heater in our bedroom and keep the door shut, so the rest of the house is cold but we spend our time in the smaller area that's easier to heat. When I was a kid, I would wrap a blanket around me and then sit over the heater vent and have like a warm tent.

I'm going to try the rice idea this winter! I've used ones with flax seeds for headaches and toothaches, it hadn't occurred to me we could make big ones for the bed to keep warm

Comment

SOCKS! I always wear socks when I'm cold and I feel better very quickly. Its because your head and your feet are the coldest parts of your body. Warm them up and you feel much better. X
                                "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

https://www.facebook.com/KimberlyHagenART

Comment

Working...
                                X