X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tips for keeping warm

It's that time of year again!
    I admit it, I like to be warm....I HATE being colder than 20*C and I'd prefer it to be warmer than 25. But this year I'd really like to be "greener" (and MUCH cheaper) so I have turned down my thermostat.
    What are some ways you all keep warm at home...especially when you can't curl up under a blanket?
    In bed I always keep a hot water bottle so I can keep toasty at night, because I especially hate being cold when I sleep. In the house I wear layers and sometimes even a scarf, but sometimes I'm still very cold. It's not -that- cold in my apartment, but I'm sensitive to it.

Re: Tips for keeping warm

I'm pretty sensitive to the cold, too. I've found that wearing a dressing gown to bed really helps. Also, beanie + thick socks = warm.

And plenty of hot drinks! Warm you from the inside out :-)

Comment

I have a small space heater with an automatic thermostat on it. I set it usually for 65 and it kicks on and off. It's really so that when I wake up, it's not to a frozen room. But normally I layer up. I have on my nightgown, flannel jammy bottoms and a sweater!
      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I tend to have poor circulation in my feet, so keeping my feet warm is top priority. I put on sock and legwarmers (hey, I studied to become a choreographer so I can get away with wearing them). Other than that an electric blanket was the best Christmas present I've ever received.
        my etsy store
        My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
        surrounded by plush, downy things,
        ill prepared, but willing,
        to descend."

Comment

[quote author=Caelia link=topic=369.msg4710#msg4710 date=1287480386]
          I tend to have poor circulation in my feet, so keeping my feet warm is top priority. I put on sock and legwarmers (hey, I studied to become a choreographer so I can get away with wearing them). Other than that an electric blanket was the best Christmas present I've ever received.
          [/quote]
          Oh I didn't mention that either. Being Diabetic, I tend to have bad circulation in my feet as well. So I bundle up in socks and make sure the space heater is pointed at my feet! In bad times I have also been known to rub Vick's on my feet and then putting my socks on. Warms then up right away!
          Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

[quote author=Medusa link=topic=369.msg4712#msg4712 date=1287480860]
            Oh I didn't mention that either. Being Diabetic, I tend to have bad circulation in my feet as well. So I bundle up in socks and make sure the space heater is pointed at my feet! In bad times I have also been known to rub Vick's on my feet and then putting my socks on. Warms then up right away!
            [/quote]

Good tip!

Like a lot of super slim people I have bad circulation too. Despite the fidgitiness and hyperness.

Comment

I wear my wedding band

lol sorry couldnt help it

we are in FL so its easy
              "Close your eyes, take 20 paces farther than you thought nessesary and just when you think you've lost your way completely.. you'll be there. open your eyes" Alice Hoffman

Comment

snuggleing with a loved one under a blanked helps to!!!!!!!!!
                "Close your eyes, take 20 paces farther than you thought nessesary and just when you think you've lost your way completely.. you'll be there. open your eyes" Alice Hoffman

Comment

I ignore cold... stop thinking about how cold it is, and think warm thoughts... I imagine myself breathing in fire energy and breathing out the cold through water energy within me. =o) its how I tolerate having to walk into a freezer at work.
                  "Sometimes bad things happen, and theres nothing you can do about it, so why worry?" ~ Timon

Comment

[quote author=yukanaoe link=topic=369.msg4720#msg4720 date=1287485455]
                    snuggleing with a loved one under a blanked helps to!!!!!!!!!
                    [/quote]

I bet! I'm really looking forward to the day when I can do that

Being a single person though, I think the hot water bottle is the best I'm going to get right now lol.

Today, I bought: 1 pair of bootie slippers, 2 pairs of knit socks, 2 pairs of knit tights, 1 pair opaque tights and a pair of leg warmers. Cost: 45 Euro, but good value.

Comment

I also like to shove kitties under my blanket too... but thats more for entertainment... lol
                      "Sometimes bad things happen, and theres nothing you can do about it, so why worry?" ~ Timon

Comment

Hot tea is hands down the best warmer upper ever....well besides hot chocolate

Comment

[quote author=Dufonce link=topic=369.msg4731#msg4731 date=1287489836]
                          I also like to shove kitties under my blanket too... but thats more for entertainment... lol
                          [/quote]

LOL it IS kind of funny to watch them search for the way out.
                          I do often shove my feet under my cat. He's old, lazy and huge so usually he wont move I do it. Also he likes to snuggle in the winter and he's warm.

Comment

[quote author=DanieMarie link=topic=369.msg4729#msg4729 date=1287489421]
                            I bet! I'm really looking forward to the day when I can do that [/quote]

its only good if they stay put and don't kick...

Being a single person though, I think the hot water bottle is the best I'm going to get right now lol.

Today, I bought: 1 pair of bootie slippers, 2 pairs of knit socks, 2 pairs of knit tights, 1 pair opaque tights and a pair of leg warmers. Cost: 45 Euro, but good value.
                            You can also make your own bed warmers from rice. I'm make more than one, and you can pile them on at the foot of the bed--they stay warm for quite a while (the larger you make them, the longer they stay warm...but the less likely they are to fit in the microwave ) Also...you *could* move (or get a small) microwave to keep next to the bed---then you don't even need to get up to warm it up!

Also...get a nice fuzzy hat to go with your socks--most of your heat escapes from your head, your feet and your hands (its a surface area thing). Dress in winterizing layers (maybe not so much in bed with all those covers, but hanging out around hte house)--long underwear is your fiend (Capilene is the best synthetic and (silk long underwear is your best natural option)...before I had children I did a lot of hiking and camping, even in the winter.

Don't forget to winterize the apartment too!
                            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                            sigpic

Comment

One thing that made a difference for us, immediately, was a higher thread count sheet set. We also double up the comforter/quilt, as well as wear jammies.

Around the house, though: lights, television, stoves, computers... almost anything electric gives off some amount of heat. I've been known to strategically place things for the warmth they give off. And gone so far as to bake cookies and breads just to break a chill, in the house.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Working...
                              X