This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tips for keeping warm

I very much dislike the cold. When sleeping I wear socks, sweatpants or those wind breaker pants, and a hoodie without the string(I swear they try to strangle you otherwise) along with a comforter, a nylon blanket and two knitted blankets. Nylon blankets are the best they keep all the heat in. My room is the attic so warmer than the rest of the house, I have a space heater also. The walls of the room are wood paneled and I have heavy curtains over the windows. I also have a furry cat who cuddles against me. My room is like perfect its always 68-70degrees.
    Circe

Comment

We are on the west side of the puget sound in WA and we've just moved here from GA so we are still trying to get used to the cooler fall. The house we have is 3,000 square feet and we've got three kids and two dogs. At this point we are still all sleeping in seperate beds and have only had the heat (oil heat) on a few times. The house stay right around 63 degrees day and night upstairs, but the downstairs has been dropping into the low 50's. I've got my two oldest (ages 7 and 4) living down their right now, but I have a good feeling they'll be moving upstairs before the worst of the winter temps hits here. We've been using the fireplace which really helps cut the chill in the whole house and warms up the living room and den (wood stove downstairs in the den, and open fireplace with a blower upstairs). We've also got a pass to cut wood in the National forest (only fallen trees along the road) so we're keeping an eye out for any winter storms that may produce some fallen trees that we can snatch up for extra firewood for next year (this year we've spent $700 in firewood and hopefully it will last us through most of the cool months).

Besides that I've always got on a sweatshirt and socks (and I'm not a socks kinda person. lol). I don't know how my kids do it in short sleve shirts and shorts in the house when it's cold, but they say their fine (I think they're crazy). I also bake and cook long meals, drink warm stuff and have been known to pop open the oven afterwards to let the heat come into the house. I think layers are the best choice for me overall though.
      ~Megan

Comment

I hate the cold too, but since I live near one of the coldest capitals in the world, I try to 'get used to it'.
        Our heat and hydro is very expensive , so I try to keep the house at 20 when we're home and 17 when we're not.
        We use a lot of blankets.
        My daughter loves to heat up those oat/rice bags to keep her warm while she is on the puter or just watching TV.
        I find that 2 pairs of socks helps quite a bit.
        What you see depends on what you are looking for.

Comment

Oh this is a subject near and dear to my heart!

I also have low blood pressure, and it's gotten even more so since I started running about six months ago. It tends to be in the 90-100/60 range. My perpetually cold hands and feet were explained!

Now in Germany our apartment has a hot water radiator which is a nice source of heat but kind of a "thin" heat, so I observe all the rules of socks, comfy sweaters, layers, etc. My almost-husband is also of polar bear descent and likes it cold, so the heat of our battles over the radiator key helps keep me warm, too :P Also, my German proto-husband has this belief in fresh air which I support in general, but finding the kitchen or bathroom window open in freezing weather is not amusing.)

Tea and coffee is the salvation for my hands, especially when I'm at the computer writing. My FAVORITE thing to do though is to go into the kitchen and shut the door. It's like a sauna in there when I get the oven and stove going. The windows fog up and I can bask in a humid heat for as long as dinner takes.

I also like to prop my feet up on the radiator when I'm reading. Richard is convinced this isn't healthy, but when my toes are toasty the rest follows.

Comment

[quote author=WaldWesen link=topic=369.msg6596#msg6596 date=1288020129]

Now in Germany our apartment has a hot water radiator which is a nice source of heat but kind of a "thin" heat, so I observe all the rules of socks, comfy sweaters, layers, etc. My almost-husband is also of polar bear descent and likes it cold, so the heat of our battles over the radiator key helps keep me warm, too :P Also, my German proto-husband has this belief in fresh air which I support in general, but finding the kitchen or bathroom window open in freezing weather is not amusing.)

Tea and coffee is the salvation for my hands, especially when I'm at the computer writing. My FAVORITE thing to do though is to go into the kitchen and shut the door. It's like a sauna in there when I get the oven and stove going. The windows fog up and I can bask in a humid heat for as long as dinner takes.

I also like to prop my feet up on the radiator when I'm reading. Richard is convinced this isn't healthy, but when my toes are toasty the rest follows.
            [/quote]

Ooo you're in Germany too?
            I'm glad that I live alone, because as much as I've come to adopt the German love of "fresh air," that love stops when it's colder than 10 degrees.

I'm convinced that standing near the radiator is fine, especially with hot water heat...it's not even dry heat!

H&M has some comfy knit booties on right now for 12 Euro...I recommend them. I always wanted the down ones that you're meant to sleep in, but I always find them kind of expensive.

Comment

If all else fails, we turn on the gas oven and light it and just sit in front of that XD it's very warm :P
              "Otwarty świat; rany zamknięte."
              - Open world; Wounds closed.

Comment

i love winters but yea the cold isnt always that nice so to sleep i do nothing special actually i sleep in my boxer 1 blanket same like i do the entire year through but i have the tendenncy to uhm crawlu u in a little ball when i sleep

and to come through the day i take a cold shower in the morning just like in the summer i take a hot shower just a matter of getting used so when i get outside the temprature is reasonable keeps me from shivering the entire day lol i do always wear black clothes or as dark as possible and i most of the time wear a hoodie if possible and a leather jacket
                it heps for me so yea
                Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.
                Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

I usually just set myself on fire.
                  If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands.
                  --Douglas Adams (RIP)

http://corvuscorvidae.tumblr.com/ My Bloggerriffic Blogtastic Blo

Comment

Thick socks! Because I have all hardwood floor in my house...except the bedroom which has a poor excuse for a carpet. Previous owners and all... We'll think about putting in REAL carpet after we have less pets and less mess makers.

Ommmm I wear a hat indoor sometimes. Depends on how cold it gets. We've got gas powered central heat so, meh.

Also, when all that fails, I have a fireplace and a bottle of jack.
                    �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                    ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                    Sneak Attack
                    Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Does anyone else here suffer with chilblains in winter? I do - they're the bane of my life for months on end! Grrr!
                      www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

[quote author=Tylluan Penry link=topic=369.msg8123#msg8123 date=1288378202]
                        Does anyone else here suffer with chilblains in winter? I do - they're the bane of my life for months on end! Grrr!
                        [/quote]

What are chilblains?

Mostly art.

Comment

They're a mild form of frostbite as far as I know. The individual toes become red, and swollen, and sometimes later turn purple or black. Very common in childhood, and very common in my house. I hate them because they are so painful. Rubbing lavender oil on them helps, but doesn't cure them. When I was a child you were supposed to rub the cut side of an onion on them. Smelled terrible! (But not as bad as urine, which was another remedy - and one I thankfully never tried).

You can also get chilblains on your fingers but so far I've managed to avoid that.

But I still get them on my feet.
                          www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Yup chilblains... me too. As I work outdoors my feet get very cold indeed in the winter. They're a poor circulation thing - not like frostbite which is the cells actually freezing I think! Various essential oils which aid circulation, like black pepper and eucalyptus (don't use them without checking for contraindications, and diluting!) can be rubbed into them, which helps. I tend to rub them with my oil mix before putting socks on and going to bed.

Wierdly I don't have a problem with cold at night - probably because MrK's a radiator. We have the opposite problem and sleep under a single blanket, or a sheet, for much of the year, moving up to two blankets at about this time. It has to be really, really cold for us to fish out the duvet - which is the thinnest one we could buy.
                            You can find some of my creative writing at http://libbyscribbles.com

Comment

[quote author=Tylluan Penry link=topic=369.msg8286#msg8286 date=1288423417]
                              They're a mild form of frostbite as far as I know. The individual toes become red, and swollen, and sometimes later turn purple or black. Very common in childhood, and very common in my house. I hate them because they are so painful. Rubbing lavender oil on them helps, but doesn't cure them. When I was a child you were supposed to rub the cut side of an onion on them. Smelled terrible! (But not as bad as urine, which was another remedy - and one I thankfully never tried).

You can also get chilblains on your fingers but so far I've managed to avoid that.

But I still get them on my feet.
                              [/quote]
                              Owie. No. I don't get that. But being Diabetic...I do have a very hard time with the tips of my hands and my toes getting warm.
                              Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

[quote author=DanieMarie link=topic=369.msg7084#msg7084 date=1288131093]

H&M has some comfy knit booties on right now for 12 Euro...I recommend them. I always wanted the down ones that you're meant to sleep in, but I always find them kind of expensive.
                                [/quote]

Ooo! Thanks for the tip! I'll have to check them out. I have two pairs of smartwool hiking socks that are my own true loves at the moment, but I don't have any nice warm "house shoes."

I agree regarding fresh air below a certain temperature. Unfortunately my husband doesn't... and the room he MOST often decides needs fresh air is the bathroom. Makes sense to a certain degree, until you get frozen to the toilet seat!

Comment

Working...
                                X