X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tips for keeping warm

What I found helped to keep me warm last night was my warm bath before bed
    "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

https://www.facebook.com/KimberlyHagenART

Comment

[quote author=FantasyWitch link=topic=369.msg8779#msg8779 date=1288608115]
      What I found helped to keep me warm last night was my warm bath before bed
      [/quote]

ooohhh noooo I do this and then cos my hairs wet and I don't own a hair dryer, my wet hair makes me super chilly

Comment

I sleep with my hair wet better than dry. Weird huh? X
        "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

https://www.facebook.com/KimberlyHagenART

Comment

[quote author=FantasyWitch link=topic=369.msg9151#msg9151 date=1288693595]
          I sleep with my hair wet better than dry. Weird huh? X
          [/quote]

that is a little weird,
          you would think that would chill you to the bones!
          What you see depends on what you are looking for.

Comment

A warm bath with a bit of cinnamon or some capsaicin oil in the water ... Stimulates the skins blood flow ... Just be careful with capsaicin (pepper spray) ...
            I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

Does anyone have any advice for making windows more energy efficient? The new apartment has pretty bad seals...there's about three feet that just icy next to each window.
              Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

You could use lath strips (thin strips of wood) and tack some clear plastic tarping on the outside ... Adds another layer to the windows ... Makes a sorta air pocket adding a bit of insulating factor ... Or even go as far as add another full pane of glass either on the outside or inside ... If you do that just make sure there are a few tiny drain holes for moisture condensation to escape ... Or go the expensive route and replace with double paned low-E windows ...
                I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

Honestly, I just wear heavy sweaters, extra socks, a knit hat (vs my normal fedora which I wear constantly), and stay upstairs in my little room when I'm home. I thought I read that hot drinks actually make you colder but I may be mistaken. There's not much to do in my house to keep warm. We cant afford to run the heat and this place leaks heat like nobody's business. Thus, I also tend to go out as much as possible. The heat at the toasty little coffee shop don't cost me a dime
                  Otherwise; move. Keeping active keeps your body temperature up and will warm you up quickly. When I start to get really chilly a get up and jump around a little bit. When I'm standing you can generally tell I'm cold because I'll be swaying or moving back and forth trying to keep blood flowing and whatnot. It works rather well and burns a couple extra calories =)

Comment

[quote author=Deseret link=topic=369.msg9419#msg9419 date=1288742145]
                    Does anyone have any advice for making windows more energy efficient? The new apartment has pretty bad seals...there's about three feet that just icy next to each window.
                    [/quote]

Since it's an apartment you can't really do much as far as installing things.

In my old place I only had single paned windows. There were two of them (an outer and an inner) but since they weren't sealed well at all it didn't matter.

You can get seal stuff at hardware stores for cheap that is like a sticker, and you can take it off when you move.

Or you can try to sew some draft stoppers.

I've also been told that you can get a removable coating for windows that helps insulate them a bit more?

Also, if you're able to put in your own curtains, put up really thick curtains. If you're strapped for cash, curtains are REALLY easy to make. You close them at night and it helps keep the heat from escaping the apartment!

Comment

[quote author=Deseret link=topic=369.msg9419#msg9419 date=1288742145]
                      [/quote]

Bubble-wrap and a heavy-duty tape---you just use it like the shrink wrap stuff...
                      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                      sigpic

Comment

Thanks guys! I'll see what I can do
                        Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Can't do much with my windows - all made of small panes set in lead. A few of them are bull's eye panes as well (the thick round blobs of glass - very old fashioned.) The wind fairly whistles through them (and occasionally sounds as though it's breaking wind.)

So yes, it's cold, but it's also very very funny!
                          www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Thalassa must be a redneck ... Bubble wrap and duct tape ... I like it ... ROFL ... 8)

Comment

[quote author=Tylluan Penry link=topic=369.msg9754#msg9754 date=1288820478]
                              Can't do much with my windows - all made of small panes set in lead. A few of them are bull's eye panes as well (the thick round blobs of glass - very old fashioned.) The wind fairly whistles through them (and occasionally sounds as though it's breaking wind.)

So yes, it's cold, but it's also very very funny!
                              [/quote]

Oooh we have this problem at my dads house.. he lives in this massive old farm house and even when it isn't windy you can hear wind whistle through the gaps from one end of the house to another =/ and because its such a big long house the wind seems to pick up momentum so at either end of the house the doors shake.
                              Having said that, this created an EXCELLENT environment for halloween parties ;D

right now to keep warm im litterally carrying my duvet around the flat and then when I have to leave for university its day time.. and shockingly.. the last 3 days ahve been really warm here.. well for autumn.. its just the late afternoon to morning time that hurts :P

Comment

Reading this thread makes me think there's actually some truth in the saying that Nordic people live in one of the coldest parts of the world but build and heat their houses to be the warmest ones. ;D

I think it's a bit too chilly here.. and it's almost 22 Celcius degrees (about 72 Fahrenheit) in my appartment. And I don't think the heaters are even on... (the temperature is set to 21 or 22, so you can't heat your appartement warmer than that)

Comment

Working...
                                X