This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tips for keeping warm

A lot of places in Canada also have free heat. I never had it...I had electric heat and an electric hot water heater, but electricity in BC is dirt cheap...I think I paid $30 a month for all my electricity, heat, and hot water, as opposed to about 130 Euros here for all that combined.

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
      A lot of places in Canada also have free heat. I never had it...I had electric heat and an electric hot water heater, but electricity in BC is dirt cheap...I think I paid $30 a month for all my electricity, heat, and hot water, as opposed to about 130 Euros here for all that combined.
      I pay between $150 and $200 per month for electricity (we have nothing that isn't standard in most homes) - we get our power from a hydroelectric dam, which appears to be a rather expensive way of doing it... although it is a renewable natural resource... which I guess I get to pay for...

I do get water for free, though. One of the advantages of living with your own well in soggy Michigan.
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
        I pay between $150 and $200 per month for electricity (we have nothing that isn't standard in most homes) - we get our power from a hydroelectric dam, which appears to be a rather expensive way of doing it... although it is a renewable natural resource... which I guess I get to pay for...

I do get water for free, though. One of the advantages of living with your own well in soggy Michigan.
        I'm pretty sure that 100% of the power in BC is hydroelectric. But it's well-established and there are a lot of dams supporting not too many people. It's a crown corporation though, meaning that it's owned by the province, so I think high profits aren't so important for them.

Comment

I'm pretty sure that 100% of the power in BC is hydroelectric. But it's well-established and there are a lot of dams supporting not too many people. It's a crown corporation though, meaning that it's owned by the province, so I think high profits aren't so important for them.
          Technically, we have a co-op. I'm not entirely sure if this affects the cost or not - it seems it should make it cheaper...
          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
            Speak for yourself. I live in the Great White North, and pay about $3000 a year for heat. When I can afford it.

And that's with supplemental heating from a wood stove.

On the up side, cooling is free.
            Yup, the Great White North is a 'whole 'nother kettle o'fish, in terms of heating. But here where our average winter temperature in january is between 49 and 34, a lot of places can afford it as a way to attract renters--particularly in older buildings where gas heat was the standard and they are trying to compete with newer apartments where its not. Air conditioning on the other hand...well, when it gets up to 110 or so, electric gets expensive. I pay for my heat and my winter electric bill for a 2 bedroom apartment is about $100, but in the summer time it can get over $200.
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

Out of interest, what sort of temperatures do you expect to maintain inside the home?

Here we've had it down to about 41 - 43 Fahrenheit which is damned cold.
              www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

I don't know how to do the old fahrenheit system, but in metric, our place drops to 12 degrees celsius if we don't have the heating on and until I realised I have to use the radiator in the hall to stop us losing heat, we couldn't get it over 15 degrees. Now it's getting up to 19, but I still need to wear thick socks and layers at 19 degrees. I'm most comfortable at around 21, 22. JP has a crazy high metabolism so his body produces excess heat anyway. He feels perfectly warm at 15 degrees!
                夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
                  Out of interest, what sort of temperatures do you expect to maintain inside the home?

Yeah, no! That is too cold for me...

We keep our apartment at 68 in the winter and 74 in the summer.
                  Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                  sigpic

Comment

I'm upstairs on the North side of the house. It's great in summer when the temps are cooler on this side. But during the winter (mind you I'm in Southern California and I won't freeze to death) it's like a fridge. I add extra bedding, socks and flannel bottoms. And I have a small space heater. I also have rubbed Vicks Vapor rub on my feet and legs. Because I'm Diabetic I already have less circulation so I get extra cold on my toes.
                    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                      I don't know how to do the old fahrenheit system, but in metric, our place drops to 12 degrees celsius if we don't have the heating on and until I realised I have to use the radiator in the hall to stop us losing heat, we couldn't get it over 15 degrees. Now it's getting up to 19, but I still need to wear thick socks and layers at 19 degrees. I'm most comfortable at around 21, 22. JP has a crazy high metabolism so his body produces excess heat anyway. He feels perfectly warm at 15 degrees!
                      41 - 43 Fahrenheit is just 5 - 6 celsius. Indoors. Anyone visits me, they need their coat. And gloves. And a hat.

Alternatively they can just cwtch up to the St Bernard....

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                      I'm upstairs on the North side of the house. It's great in summer when the temps are cooler on this side. But during the winter (mind you I'm in Southern California and I won't freeze to death) it's like a fridge. I add extra bedding, socks and flannel bottoms. And I have a small space heater. I also have rubbed Vicks Vapor rub on my feet and legs. Because I'm Diabetic I already have less circulation so I get extra cold on my toes.
                      Try something like an embrocation (for pulled muscles) instead of Vick... it works really well. At the moment though my toes are just turning purple. By about April they will start coming back to life again....

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post

I'm not sure how warm it is in my home, but I think it's around 18 Celsius or so. I'm most comfortable when it's over 25, so I'm pretty much only happy with the temperature between June and early September. It would cost me hundreds of Euros a month to heat my home that much. If I didn't have the heating on at all, I don't know that it could drop too much more than that...I live at the top floor of a condo building, and while my upstairs room is floor to ceiling windows (ie lets out heat in the winter and makes it like a greenhouse in the summer), I still get all the heat rising in the building, and since it's a new building the insulation and windows are pretty good.

Comment

This thread has definitely given me some perspective. I see what a massive range of heating costs we face and don't feel quite so bad that it costs us more than £10 a week to heat our flat. Seems a good average. We are currently putting £30 on the electric each month, and £50 on gas. I suspect we'll end up spending more on the gas and might owe the electric (I pay by payment card), when the invoice comes. Still, I don't feel such a victim now. I feel within the normal range.

It's not nearly so bad as when Michelle lived here. My gods she was wasteful. Our duel fuel bill was always around £200 a month over the winter. Crazy!!
                          夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Eeek that is bad! That's worse than the first year I lived here, where I didn't know how much it would cost to heat a large place and had a 600 Euro adjustment bill at the end of the year.

Comment

I live in a tiny apartment, and this thread makes me feel like I am cheating... We spend about $95 for about 3 months in the summer on electric with our little window airconditioner, and we let it run all of the time... in the winter we don't heat the place, we open windows...
                              http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                              ~Jim Butcher

Comment

I'm not sure how warm it is in my home, but I think it's around 18 Celsius or so. I'm most comfortable when it's over 25, so I'm pretty much only happy with the temperature between June and early September.
                                Oh, temperatures I can only dream about. I mentioned it dropped to 41-43 fahrenheit which is about 5 Celsius - so you get the idea.
                                Not unusual for me to wear a hat and gloves indoors!

Comment

Working...
                                X