Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you are wrong, was it still worth it?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you are wrong, was it still worth it?

I've occasional thought that perhaps the ultimate test of religion is not in "being right"...everyone thinks they are right, and can find dozens of ways to justify their "rightness" to themselves (and to try and promote it to others). But rather, the ultimate test for the personal validity of religion is in being wrong.

If tomorrow, you die only to find out that you were wrong (whatever the heck it is you believe)--absolutely, completely wrong on every single point of your theological opinion (just to be extreme, the most opposite and extreme thing that you can think of from your current beliefs)...was the time, effort, energy, money, etc that you invested in your religious and spiritual journey still worth it?
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Re: If you are wrong, was it still worth it?

Of course. Honestly I think my spiritual path has brought me a lot of peace and has served as a catalyst for facing some of my personal demons. Am I wholly there? Heck no! But I've started to sort out what is truly my problem as a person and what is external. It has helped me learn a little bit more about how to deal with some of the things that used to really bother me that "praying away" didn't suffice. To say learning to not be a completely horrible person (or at least as self-loathing) so I can have at least one moment of peace is totally worth it, even if there is nothing after we die.
    my etsy store
    My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
    surrounded by plush, downy things,
    ill prepared, but willing,
    to descend."

Comment

absolute worst case scenario?

The universe is run by a Power that makes a decent amount of the Lovecraft Mythos look like Care Bears and I've managed to personally piss it off. Under those conditions, I'm thinking that since I'm collossally screwed either way I can't really complain about living a couple decades with a slightly better outlook on life.
      life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

It would be worth it in that I've managed to avoid a lot of the guilt and shame that seems to come built in with many religions. I've been able to live 'naturally', not watching my every move in hopes of some eternal reward or in hopes of avoiding eternal punishment.
        The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Yes, it was worth it.

Everything I have done was exactly what I wanted to do. How could that not be worth it?
          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I don't know... I think it depends a lot on what actually happens after death. Say, if I'm going to be tortured eternally for my beliefs... well, it'd be hard not to have regrets after a while of that. A couple decades of good times for an eternity of Hell doesn't really seem like a good trade off, you know? (I'd probably be mad at myself for being "mislead" or whatever - but then, I'd probably be pretty damn mad at a Deity who thinks a system that includes eternal Hell is a good idea, too.) However, if I show up in the afterlife and it's totally not at all what I thought it would be, but God's like "well you did your best" then it wouldn't be a big deal. I might be a bit disappointed, but I'd still be happy with my life. If there's nothing after this life? Still worth it. I dunno, really depends on what happens.
            Hearth and Hedge

Comment

This was actually a topic of conversation for L and me recently, since we're still in the middle of family finding out that we don't believe the same things they do.

I think that if;

1) Heavenly Father/God is the real deal, only god, etc.

2) Meaning that I went off in a completely wrong direction.

And,
              3)He is really the just and all-knowing being I was raised being taught he was.

Then he would intimately understand every step of the path that I have taken, and understand how given my circumstances and the events in my life so far, the choices I have made were the most logical, reasonable and honorable ones available. He would also judge my heart and know that, although I am imperfect, I honestly try my hardest to be loving and kind to those around me.

What sort of monster would take all of that into account, and say it wasn't good enough?
              Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

I used to think about this a lot. But as I settled into my path, certain things became apparent:

-If, the Atheists are right, at least I've enjoyed the ride.
                -If instead, a certain dogma was necessary for a positive experience, the powers in charge of that can [expletive deleted] for not making such a thing certain.
                -If reincarnation happens, lets see where it takes me - I'm a curious enough person to think that could get interesting.
                -If I'm judged based on what I've done and why I did so, I like to think I'll own up to it, good and bad.
                "A true initiation never ends"-Robert Anton Wilson
                http://www.hermetic.com/crowley
                "Reality has become a commodity"-Stephen Colbert 1/29/07
                http://www.chaosmatrix.org/
                "Sometimes, when you can't breathe, there are people there to breathe for you" - Aesop Rock
                http://upholdingmaat.wordpress.com

Comment

I've made so many mistakes already, I don't think one more would really matter....
                  www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                    If tomorrow, you die only to find out that you were wrong (whatever the heck it is you believe)--absolutely, completely wrong on every single point of your theological opinion (just to be extreme, the most opposite and extreme thing that you can think of from your current beliefs)...was the time, effort, energy, money, etc that you invested in your religious and spiritual journey still worth it?
                    It was definitely worth it.

Life is for living, not for worrying about what may or may not come next, and even if at the end I turn out to be wrong at this moment in time I am 100% right, because it is right for me.
                    http://thefeministpagan.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

I've occasional thought that perhaps the ultimate test of religion is not in "being right"...everyone thinks they are right, and can find dozens of ways to justify their "rightness" to themselves (and to try and promote it to others). But rather, the ultimate test for the personal validity of religion is in being wrong.

I live my life as it makes sense to me and is it made sense to my ancestors. For me to be wrong, that would mean that there is some sort of evil set of deities (or deity) that rewards hurting the people I care about, celebrates the dishonourable, and lauds betrayal, dishonesty, and corruption. Yeah, I think my way makes more sense, even if I am wrong.
                      "The proper office of a friend is to side with you when you are in the wrong. Nearly anybody will side with you when you are in the right."--Mark Twain

"There are only two types of people in this world who walk around beardless; boys and women. I am neither one." --Ancient Greek saying

Comment

Religion can be seen as a journey ; some are more interested in the destination but for me it is all about the path.

The experiences of your life are the most relevant at the time that you are living them. For some it may seem short-sighted but the way that I live day to day is my biggest concern as I have never taught myself to worry about the far off or the unknown.

My beliefs now, are helping me make the most of my everyday problems and obstacles; and that is what they are supposed to do.

If I get the the 'end' and realize I took the wrong path but while living I was able to be contented at any time, it would be worth it. Even if I didn't do it the right way, I did it to the best of my ability.

Religion in my definition is a way of life, therefore it is only valid to the living and of no use to the dead.
                        Giving is its own reward.

Comment

Because it fuels Personal Growth (keeping in mind that I believe in reincarnation), I would say, YES it is/was worth it.
                          �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                          ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                          Sneak Attack
                          Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

No. Because in the end I'd be spending eternity in Hell. And that's not really worth the good years of Earth.
                            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

If I were to find out I was totally off the mark on MY beliefs I still would not change a thing. I'm much happier and far more at peace with myself practicing my beliefs than when I don't.
                              And knowing me if I find myself being corrected on the other side of life(Knowing I'm about to get massively screwed by the powers/power that be) I'd probably still tell them to bugger off and die. I mean at this point what the difference.

So simply put, yes it will be worth it.
                              Last edited by Monk; 26 Sep 2011, 05:01.
                              Gargoyles watch over me...I can hear them snicker in the dark.

Pull the operating handle (which protrudes from the right side of the receiver) smartly to the rear and release it.

Comment

Working...
                              X