Really, Really Basic Assistance needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really, Really Basic Assistance needed

I'm having some trouble meditating. I'm not sure how to go about it. Since I'm coming from the Christian tradition, all I have to go on is prayer- which is obviously different, as I don't want to talk to that particular deity at all.

What's the best way to go about meditating for a brand new newbie in meditating? Are there ritualistic things I can be doing to help? Unfortunately, I'm new enough so I don't even have the knowledge to ask the correct questions.

Thank you for your help.

Re: Really, Really Basic Assistance needed

Honestly...I think it is easier to learn meditation if you are DOING something.

Do you run? Walk, swim, bike, elliptical? Drumming, yoga, tai chi, daancing, etc... Something repetitive, where you have a narrow focus and can lose your surroundings, and you sort of *become* your action. IMO, the key to meditation is learning mindfulness. Another option is looking for guided meditation or visualization exercizes--there are quite a few free ones on the net. Just start practicing...it takes time.
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

Erk. That means I have the point of meditation all wrong, too. I was under the impression that meditation was essentially, sitting in a conspicuous place for deities or entities to see you and talk to you. What is the point of meditation, then?

Comment

Well...Meditation is really just a family of contemplative techniques that (usually) emphasize a mind-body-spirit (or sometimes just mind-body) awareness, and to find altered level of consciousness and which can be used for specific purposes and goals--of which, it can be a tool for deity based experiences.

Before meditating for a specific purpose, I would recommend learning to meditate in general--to experiment with what is the easiest way for you to achieve that state of consciousness and then learning to achieve the same state with other techniques and then learning to ground and center using guided visualization. You can still use deity-work with other forms of meditation, if that is what you are interested in...but prayer and patience work pretty well for most people there also.

It has been my observation and experience that the whole silent/still meditation is not usually the most productive method for Westerners starting out learning how to meditate...our brains are just too active and too accustomed to *noise*, we need the addition of some sort of focus until we are more proficient and comfortable with it.

I'll see what I can dig out of my links for good info...
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

Firstly you should ask yourself what you want to achieve by meditation. I'm assuming what you want is to connect with your deities (or maybe with a deity - perhaps you're not certain who is out there at the moment.) Do't worry - uncertainty is normal. So I tend to think of meditation as leaving your radio on and tuned in to station that you know will broadcast at some point. When the broadcast starts, and the deity wants to get in touch, you'll know.

I always suggest practising stillness as well as the activities that Thalassa sensibly suggests. Practise just sitting completely still for a few minutes (not too long!) - practise clearing your mind for a few minutes and not thinking of anything.... The best meditation in my experience isn't about screwing up all your attention and focusing on one thing, it's about learning to spring-clean your mind. Just get rid of the clutter. Open your mental windows so to speak.

And when the gods do get in touch, you'll be ready to give them your full attention. Good luck
          www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Technically, (intense) prayer is a form of meditation - using focused attention & repitition (as in saying the rosary for Catholics) to achieve a particular state of mind.

Thalassa's recommendation to try an active meditation, like a long walk, is excellent. If you combine that with Tylluan's suggestion, you'll likely have a winner.

My suggestion is that you (in your spring cleaning) learn to recognize that you (and everybody else) has a voice inside them that runs pretty much every waking moment telling them what to think and feel at every moment.

(Sample internal dialogue, just so you can see what you're giving up: "Pretty colors! What's that smell? I'm hungry. My feet are cold. How long is this going to take? I'm really pissed off. I wonder if there is any cheese at home. Nobody understands me...")

That voice is there to help you maintain your "idea" of the world. If you can learn to set that voice aside, the world stops being exactly what you thought it was, and you experience it on a more direct level (i.e.: as it is, not as you describe it to yourself).

I think that this is part of what "mindfulness" means - in addition to paying real attention to what is actually happening, one experiences "reality" directly, without the usual filters and explanations one generally puts in front of actual experience.

You can incorporate ritual if you like - a lot of people will have a special space set aside for meditation (oratory), a particular chair or cushion, light incense, perform specific actions, etc. In addition to whatever spiritual benefit comes from that, it also tells yourself that what you are going to do NOW is different from what was happening before - kind of like creating a mental place for yourself, separate from you daily world.
            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Start by sitting still in a comfortable position, and focus on your breathing. Count ~8 seconds as you inhale, hold it for ~4, and exhale for ~8. Don't overexert your lungs, trying to fill them with more than they can handle, and don't push yourself to the limit of what you can exhale either.

Don't forget to focus on your breathing.
              "A true initiation never ends"-Robert Anton Wilson
              http://www.hermetic.com/crowley
              "Reality has become a commodity"-Stephen Colbert 1/29/07
              http://www.chaosmatrix.org/
              "Sometimes, when you can't breathe, there are people there to breathe for you" - Aesop Rock
              http://upholdingmaat.wordpress.com

Comment

Working...
              X