This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rune help?

I have a pile of small pieces of wooly mammoth ivory which I want to convert into pendents, and then into cash.

I'm thinking about simple shapes, decorated with a rune, but I really know nothing about runes.

Can anybody give me ideas for particular runes that might be appropriate (and popular), and also tell me why (I have to sound like I know what I'm doing when I talk to people)?
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Re: Rune help?

Certain runes are commonly used as amulets and talismans. There are other runic glyphs too that are popular - I can point you in that direction as I'm assuming you don't want to make complete rune sets?
    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Yes - please point!

I might try making sets later, if people seem to want them - in which case I'd want to study up on them quite a bit first. I don't know if it matters, really, but I prefer to work with things I understand.

For these, though, I kind of just want to try it out and see if people are interested (I have a show to do in 2 weeks and want to try some experimental projects).

Thanks - I appreciate your help!
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

One of the simplest I found that also made some cash is a personal bindrune ... My definition of a bindrune is one that is made from several others ... I made my own using the rune symbols for the letters in my first name ... Fortunately they went together rather well ... Some combinations might not look so good ... You also don't have to limit yourself to runes (Futhark in particular) ... You can use many of the ancient dead alphabets ...

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

Corbin, this is proly one of my fave non-recon general info rune sites...and it just so happens that he talks a bit about bindrunes and gives a pretty good list of rune charms (bind runes) "for warriors and for peace", as well as more of a "how two" with a good list of examples.

I like the idea of marriage pendants...the hubby and I lose rings alot.

In terms of single runes...this site has basic info of divinatory/magical use of runes. Based on my observations of vendors, fehu (cattle=>wealth), teiwaz (Tyr=>duty, sacrifice, strength...of course, this could be because I'm in a military town), algiz (protection), sowulo (sun=>positive energy/success), and berkana (birch=>fertility, new beginnings, health), are probably some of the best "sellers" (since they seem to have fewer of those than the others).
          Last edited by thalassa; 04 Oct 2011, 04:00. Reason: whoops! double post!
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

Ah, Thank you! These sources are a great help!

I'll be making some of these this week. I'll let you know how it goes!

I'm going to go simple - an ivory shard, smoothed down, but still irregular, with a simple bit of carving on them, strung from a leather cord, with maybe a couple of beads...

By the way - here's something interesting - a Viking necklace, 1150 years old, found in Ireland:

http://www.independent.ie/national-n...s-2155054.html

Comment

That's fascinating!
              www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

One of my favorite runes to draw or use is Rad, meant for safe travel.

However this is the site I used to make my runes. http://www.runemaker.com/making.shtml
                sigpic

Comment

Thanks, Liadanwillows!

That's an interesting site!

Comment

Very interesting, I have never thought about the use of runes. This has been a very thought provoking thread. I wonder if the power of a rune is what a person makes it. Looking forward to seeing your creations and using these resources to learn more.
                    Giving is its own reward.

Comment

The trouble with most knowledge of the runes is it is all a recent construct, any practicable knowledge of the runes was lost. Impossible unless new evidence turns up to ever effectively use the rune's as our ancestors did.
                      Gunnarr Sandisson
                      "A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be." Albert Einstein
                      Five Boroughs Hearth

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnarr View Post
                        The trouble with most knowledge of the runes is it is all a recent construct, any practicable knowledge of the runes was lost. Impossible unless new evidence turns up to ever effectively use the rune's as our ancestors did.
                        LOL - fortunately, I'm interested in how people use them now, not so much about how they were used by your ancestors.

Comment

I read and understand what you say, some books that may help are Rudiments of Runelore by Pollington & Reading the Past Runes by R I Page.

Gunnarr Sandisson
                          "A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be." Albert Einstein
                          Five Boroughs Hearth

Comment

Thanks, Gunnarr!

I appreciate the help!

Comment

Thats ok I think even if you are going to attempt the lost art, good foundations will not hurt...
                              Gunnarr Sandisson
                              Five Boroughs Hearth

Comment

Working...
                              X