Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Duality in Deity...What of neutrality?

Originally posted by babyfyrefly View Post
    I just want to say that I was not trying to offend anyone with my questions or ideas. I was simply wishing to discuss a thought I had and expand upon it. I apologize if anyone thinks I'm trying to disparage their beliefs, that is far from my intent.
    I think you are safe there---everyone is entitled to express and discuss ideas and opinions. If someone is offended by what is obviously *not* an attempt to be obnoxious, they can get over themselves!
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

Re: Duality in Deity...What of neutrality?

I am not a Wiccan nor a polytheist, but I believe with all my heart that gender has no place with the gods. Male and Female, God and Goddess - it's all a human construct to better identify with the symbolism that each god is suppose to impart, so neutrality is not gender based - it's the medium between FIRE and WATER, or LIGHT and SHADOW. It's the small world that exists between two extremes. Gender is really just a way for those extremes to manifest.

I think of it like this: I believe in The Great Spirit, who has many spirits he can send to aid who are all direct messengers from "him." Do I actually think the TGS is a man in the sky/ground/sea/coal? Uhhh...no. "He" is above all that, gender means nothing to "him." I say "him" only because I was raised Christian and am comfortable with the idea of a father god (perhaps because of my own problems with my father). That is something that I chose to associate with TGS, not something that I know about "him."

You can also break it down further once you're away from the "gender/sex" of any particular god.

Is the wind evil for tearing apart the crops of a farmer in tornado season? Is the sea evil for swallowing Japan? Is fire evil for devouring trees my the thousands? No. These are neither right nor wrong, they simply are what they are. To me, this is the greatest example of neutrality that we have. The Great Spirit didn't decide arbitrarily to do those things, they simply happened. Only once they've happened can you start to try and attribute meaning to them and figure out whether you believe this was part of TGS's mighty plan, or if it was simply the earth being the earth.

That sounded much more poignant in my noodle than it does on here. :/
      No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

Working...
      X