Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Natural anti-depressants

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
    I don't know about Canada, but some reasons some people in the U.S. don't want too much regulation of natural products like herbs is that

A. It puts the power to control these things into the hands of the government instead in the hands of the people

B. it raises the cost of producing the compounds so much that small producers are forced out of business, or end up being swallowed up by factory producers

But it sure would be nice if I could buy a bottle of some herb extract and actually know for sure what's in there. I wonder if there is a middle way?
    The big reason is because under US patent laws, you cannot patent organic material. Patents = money. No patents = no money. Since there is no money in it for pharmaceutical companies, there's no interest in devoting time and money to experimenting on herbs, animal tissue, vitamins, minerals, etc. to find out exactly what they do and don't do. So the FDA doesn't really care what you stick in the herb or supplement bottles (with some notable DEA-Scheduled exceptions) as long as you make no absolute claims on what the substance may or may not do.

I can't find the study (hooray for anti-SOPA blackouts), but a few years ago a consumer study was conducted on echinacea (which is becoming harder & harder to grow and harvest) supplements. It found that a large portion of what was being sold commercially as echinacea was actually ragweed.
    The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
      I can't find the study (hooray for anti-SOPA blackouts), but a few years ago a consumer study was conducted on echinacea (which is becoming harder & harder to grow and harvest) supplements. It found that a large portion of what was being sold commercially as echinacea was actually ragweed.
      Ack. That is not good. Most people in my area are allergic to ragweed. So, now I'm off to find articles on best companies that offer herbal pills. However, I haven't ever had a problem with any of the companies my local health food store carries. Better safe than sorry.

Comment

i got a stronger dosage of pill for St John's Wort prescribed to me by my doctor. Apparently there are enough conclusive studies pointing to its effectiveness that the German health care system pays for it. So....strong doses and large package size for 5 Euros (the normal price for any subsidized drug...we pay 5 and health care pays the rest)...yay!

Comment

I used to take St. John's wort because every now and then, I get very low moods that can last a few months. I am not sure but, isn't there something about not taking it if you're on the contraceptive pill? I'd ask my doctor but he'd probably just tell me herbal remedies are a load of crap and not to take them at all.
          夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

You can still take it but it can reduce its effectiveness. Since I don't have sex I've chosen to ignore this issue for the time being.

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
              You can still take it but it can reduce its effectiveness. Since I don't have sex I've chosen to ignore this issue for the time being.
              Ya gotta remember, some women take the pill for other reasons than just stopping babies - I was on it for years to control symptoms of PCOS. SJW reduces the effectiveness of birth control for everything (as well as increases the risk of photoreactiveness that bc already has).

Comment

Ya gotta remember, some women take the pill for other reasons than just stopping babies - I was on it for years to control symptoms of PCOS. SJW reduces the effectiveness of birth control for everything (as well as increases the risk of photoreactiveness that bc already has).
                I do take it for other stuff (that's the only reason I'm on it) but I just don't know what else to do. I don't want to be on anything stronger than St. John's Wort because I've adversely reacted to anti-depressants in the past. Other herbal stuff has not worked for me. BUT my body hates me, and my uterus is trying to take it over. I've stopped getting my period (I was fine on both the pill and St. John's Wort until about a month ago), but haven't stopped getting cramps. I guess if it took away the effects of the pill though and that was the problem, I'd be getting the periods I have off the pill, which are spaced closer together (about 21 days apart), long and heavy and PAINFUL.

Blech I hate my body so much....

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
                  I do take it for other stuff (that's the only reason I'm on it) but I just don't know what else to do. I don't want to be on anything stronger than St. John's Wort because I've adversely reacted to anti-depressants in the past. Other herbal stuff has not worked for me. BUT my body hates me, and my uterus is trying to take it over. I've stopped getting my period (I was fine on both the pill and St. John's Wort until about a month ago), but haven't stopped getting cramps. I guess if it took away the effects of the pill though and that was the problem, I'd be getting the periods I have off the pill, which are spaced closer together (about 21 days apart), long and heavy and PAINFUL.

Blech I hate my body so much....
                  Just like any medication, herbal or manufactured, YMMV. For me, antidepressants (SSRIs, tricyclics, MAOIs, all of 'em) took away most of the benefits of taking the Pill, and it's always a possibility depending on the hormone & its strength/absorbency rate/time release, etc. If the SJW works w/your birth control, that's fantastic. I was just responding to your original mention of the Pill being less effective at actual birth control

Comment

Just like any medication, herbal or manufactured, YMMV. For me, antidepressants (SSRIs, tricyclics, MAOIs, all of 'em) took away most of the benefits of taking the Pill, and it's always a possibility depending on the hormone & its strength/absorbency rate/time release, etc. If the SJW works w/your birth control, that's fantastic. I was just responding to your original mention of the Pill being less effective at actual birth control
                    I get that, I just really worry because I'm on the pill to try to control endometriosis. It feels kind of like a no-win. Either I'm depressed or my uterus hates me :/

Comment

Working...
                    X