Aug 2008
    Religion
    Ophidism
    Phrase
    I like Nature, just not on me.

Re: Reconstructionist Heathen Q&A

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnarr View Post
    I think that women in heathenry are an important aspect
    I noticed, from both of the wiki articles and reading some of the cited papers, that there was consistent agreement that men wrote most of the sagas - and many of the best-known ones were written post-conversion to Christianity. I've just noticed that this seems to be true today, too. On the Pagan sites I've visited, most of the articles I see are by men. The most vocal Heathens/Norse-centric Pagans on forums are usually men. The practitioners I've met and worked with personally have all been men. It's just strange to me, especially considering how appealing most Pagan/neo-Pagan paths are to women.

The Heathen stance on Homosexuality, varies from group to group, most decent heathen groups will have no problem with anybody's sexual preference, there is no evidential texts in my opinion to support any ideology of it also being a problem for our ancestors. The one text folk like to quote is Lokasenna, a flyting where traditionally men insult and question ones manliness, prowess and ability. Yet they're quick to ignore Thor dressed as a women trying to regain his hammer.

My personal view is for my hearth, no problems it is nothing to do with ones religion, character, manliness or ability
    I was curious about the homosexuality thing because I've met several Asatruar who are very vocal anti-gay-rights activists, and often refer back to their religion as a basis for their stance. I wasn't sure if it was a universal belief, or if it was more along the line of white supremacists giving heathenry a bad name.

Thank you for your answers
    Last edited by Ophidia; 14 Oct 2011 at 17:41. Reason: double post - oops
    The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Nov 2010
    Religion
    Heathen with a reconstructionist approach
    Phrase
    To be without silver is better than to be without honor

There is a male bias, in both written work and practice.

Written work being predominantly male is historical, most religions with any legitimate longevity will have this.

Modern issues about heathenry really stem back to Neo pagans reinventing the belief system to make it more attractive to people. When people take a look at heathenry, most choose the fluffy neo pagan approach over what their ancestors did, simply because neo paganism is Christianity for polytheists, so far less work is required for transition.

The question in regards to homosexuality was a loaded question, as you have already an informed opinion. Once again I would say that those heathens you know are more like neo pagans under an Asatru banner, or it could just be their individual hearths customs.
    Gunnarr Sandisson
    "A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be." Albert Einstein
    Five Boroughs Hearth

Cannibal Rights Activist Ophidia's Avatar
    Aug 2008
    Religion
    Ophidism
    Phrase
    I like Nature, just not on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnarr View Post
    The question in regards to homosexuality was a loaded question, as you have already an informed opinion. Once again I would say that those heathens you know are more like neo pagans under an Asatru banner, or it could just be their individual hearths customs.
    I don't consider it 'loaded' as I'm not trying to trap anyone, I'm just honestly curious about different takes on some of the more incendiary topics, like homosexuality, abortion, the death penalty, etc. It gives me a broad spectrum of the various morals and ethics people have where the lines between the sacred & the secular cross. Many people make the mistake of thinking one person can represent an entire religion, and forget that there are extremists wherever you go. I've met Southern Baptists who are perfectly ok w/homosexuals and Wiccans who freak out about it, just like I've met Jehovah's Witnesses who are ok w/abortions & hard-core Dianic feminists who aren't.
    The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Nov 2010
    Religion
    Heathen with a reconstructionist approach
    Phrase
    To be without silver is better than to be without honor

Point made and accepted, with a smile.
    Gunnarr Sandisson
    "A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be." Albert Einstein
    Five Boroughs Hearth

Nov 2010
    Religion
    Slavic polytheist

Quote Originally Posted by perzephone View Post
    I noticed, from both of the wiki articles and reading some of the cited papers, that there was consistent agreement that men wrote most of the sagas - and many of the best-known ones were written post-conversion to Christianity. I've just noticed that this seems to be true today, too. On the Pagan sites I've visited, most of the articles I see are by men. The most vocal Heathens/Norse-centric Pagans on forums are usually men. The practitioners I've met and worked with personally have all been men. It's just strange to me, especially considering how appealing most Pagan/neo-Pagan paths are to women.

I was curious about the homosexuality thing because I've met several Asatruar who are very vocal anti-gay-rights activists, and often refer back to their religion as a basis for their stance. I wasn't sure if it was a universal belief, or if it was more along the line of white supremacists giving heathenry a bad name.

Thank you for your answers
    It's funny you should mention that. At my university, there is a pagan group, and almost all of them are witches or Wiccans who are either female, or gay men. To date, there have been three straight men who have been heavily involved, including myself- and all three have been had reconstructionist tendencies. One followed Asatru, the other was a Celtic Polytheist, and then of course there is myself. So I would agree, there seems to be a definite correlation between gender- and I would add- sexuality.
    If you want to be thought intelligent, just agree with everyone.