Young mother beats her baby because she was "having a bad day"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Young mother beats her baby because she was "having a bad day"

Her roommate caught it on video; it seems she also blew pot smoke in the 10 month old kid's mouth. Not for the squeamish.

Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
    -Erik Erikson

Re: Young mother beats her baby because she was "having a bad day"

Bravo to the roommate! So many people in that situation would have just ignored it.
    The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

That's sickening beyond words D;
      "Otwarty świat; rany zamknięte."
      - Open world; Wounds closed.

Comment

That's just despicable.
        If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows. ---Henry Ward Beecher

Comment

I would have found it difficult to video the incident without pummeling the bitch in the head with a hammer.
          Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
          -Erik Erikson

Comment

Why do people like this even bother to have children? I mean, even if you disagree with abortion, there are still other options. If you can't stop partying and get your life together, you shouldn't keep the baby, I mean, it's really win-win. The child can be raised by someone who will actually take care of him/her, and you can continue to be a partying loser without the burden of having to take care of a child.

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
              Why do people like this even bother to have children? I mean, even if you disagree with abortion, there are still other options. If you can't stop partying and get your life together, you shouldn't keep the baby, I mean, it's really win-win. The child can be raised by someone who will actually take care of him/her, and you can continue to be a partying loser without the burden of having to take care of a child.
              I think in the minds of a lot of these women giving up their babies for adoption is the same as abandoning them, and it's not until they realize just how hard being a parent is do they realize they've made the wrong decision. I think that's why you see a lot of grandparents raising their grandchildren even when the parents are still living and healthy.

On the other hand, I'm willing to bet that a lot of them are just ignorant and too lazy to go through the adoption process. They were obviously too ignorant and/or lazy to use birth control, let alone work with an adoption agency.

Then you have the ones who are just F'd up in the head, the ones who kill their children because they think they're possessed by demons and crap. Those are the ones who make me wonder, just how sane do these people seem to the doctors who take care of these pregnant women, and all of the other people who know them? There exists another video of a 911 call from a guy who found a woman stabbing her two year old daughter with scissors because she thought a cult was stalking them. You can actually hear the woman screaming "Die, die!" in the background. Like seriously, why does no one call CPS on these people before shit like that happens?
              -Erik Erikson

Comment

I dunno. I guess I have it together too much, but I don't think going through the adoption processes is -that- hard. It's certainly not as hard as being an adopting prospective parent. How lazy and stupid can you be?

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
                  Four words:

Abstinence Only Sex Education.

In many parts of the US, the only education teens get is an attempt to scare them into waiting until marriage, with birth control, STD's, and abortion being used as sources for worst-case horror stories. If, by some chance, you decide to get an abortion, in some places the law requires that they show you the ultrasound of the fetus, and basically try to get you to rethink your decision. Not to mention the influence of religious families and an anti-abortion political movement so strong that now in some states women can be investigated by the police if they miscarry.

We don't know what took this woman to this point, but I feel bad for her. Obviously, this child was not wanted, or else she wouldn't have treated the baby that way. Even if he is removed from her care now, the abuse and most likely neglect he has undergone will have affected his development and haunt the rest of his life. I really don't think this woman though she had another choice...as horrible as her actions are, she is very young. Vilifying her and calling her dumb just makes the problem worse.
                  Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Originally posted by DeseretRose View Post
                    We don't know what took this woman to this point, but I feel bad for her. Obviously, this child was not wanted, or else she wouldn't have treated the baby that way. Even if he is removed from her care now, the abuse and most likely neglect he has undergone will have affected his development and haunt the rest of his life. I really don't think this woman though she had another choice...as horrible as her actions are, she is very young. Vilifying her and calling her dumb just makes the problem worse.
                    I consider myself a compassionate person, but how can this woman not know she had another choice? How can any American in this day and age not know what their options are? I understand that she could have possibly been raised to believe that abortion and birth control are wrong and all that, but I don't see that justifying her beating her baby and blowing pot smoke in its mouth. If she did have a conservative upbringing it obviously didn't prevent her from being a boozer and a pothead.
                    -Erik Erikson

Comment

Originally posted by DeseretRose View Post
                      Four words:

Abstinence Only Sex Education.

In many parts of the US, the only education teens get is an attempt to scare them into waiting until marriage, with birth control, STD's, and abortion being used as sources for worst-case horror stories. If, by some chance, you decide to get an abortion, in some places the law requires that they show you the ultrasound of the fetus, and basically try to get you to rethink your decision. Not to mention the influence of religious families and an anti-abortion political movement so strong that now in some states women can be investigated by the police if they miscarry.

I understand what you're getting at, but even all that aside, there's still adoption. Abortion isn't the only solution to an unwanted child.

I agree that the system there is often messed up though. Abstinence only education is unacceptable and if a country is supposed to have a separation of church and state, public schools should teach proper sex ed regardless of the religious makeup of policy members and the education board.

Over here we have similar rules for abortions. You have to have an ultrasound, I think you have to talk to 2 different doctors and you have to take some time to 'think about it' and they give you all this info on birth and abortion. I don't really think it's cool. I wish Germany had less backwards laws about pregnancy and birth (you also can't be an egg donor or have surrogate mothers...BS).
                      Last edited by DanieMarie; 16 Oct 2011, 00:55.

Comment

It's possible my perspective is colored by the culture I grew up in. I mean, even now, while Mormon girls in Utah who get pregnant might be whisked over a state border for a secret abortion, it's far more likely for them to be sent off to live with family for 9 months a la the 1950's(or, like another family I know, have a child who finds out as an adult that their "big sister" is actually their mother), or just married to the guy who got them pregnant. The latter happens much more often then the former, because these girls are taught from the time they're toddlers that being a mother is the most important job they'll ever have. Especially in rural areas, many girls see no reason to get an education, much less finish high school, because of that. Why bother? Oddly enough, that attitude will continue often, even if they leave the church, drink, smoke, etc. You get a lot of poorer families like the one my dad grew up in, where his mom had his older brother when she was 16, and she was overwhelmed. She did things like burn her boys fingers to teach them not to play with matches.

Not ok. Abusive. But I believe there is a difference between ignorance and malice. One of them can be fixed, and should be before it's too late.

Or what about PPD? We have no clue what the emotional state of this woman was. What if she was seriously depressed? When I had PPD, I hallucinated seriously harming my child and had horrible panic attacks.

What she did is horrible, and wrong, and I applaud the roommate who turned her in...I doubt jail would help this situation, though, and all the facts are not in.

Comment

You do bring up some important points and I hadn't thought of it that way. My perspective is probably coloured too from having grown up in West Coast Canada, where you start sex ed at 12 and talk about birth control and your options if you get pregnant fairly early on. People still have kids when they shouldn't, but it just feels a whole lot less acceptable because they're well informed as to their options. Teen pregnancy is rare as well.

Comment

Makes a lot of sense,Danie. Pretty amazing how such stances can vary, isn't it? I really hope that,however this case works out, both mother and child get the help they so obviously need.

Comment

First, put the kid up for adoption ...
                              Second, take the mother out behind the nearest woodshed ...
                              I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

Working...
                              X